He's sneezing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmits_mom

Reaction score
Hi all...I'm fully aware of the problems that can come with bunnies sneezing, coughing, and such...and Emmit has been sneezing a lot lately. He has never coughed. I check him over and over again for a chance of a runny nose (which he's very good with me to let me touch his nose so many times), and I have checked his paws as well to see if they are wet. He doesn't seem to have a runny nose.

Martin and I thought maybe he's sneezing because it is too dusty in there from his hay and bedding. So we just finished totally cleaning the room, his cage, and everywhere he hops to. No luck, we put him back in the cage in our room, and he is sneezing. It's not terrible sneezing, but it's enough to make me worried. Sometimes he does it 4 times in a row!

Could he possibly be sick, even though the other signs aren't there...and by the way, he is still his normal, active self except he's being a little bit more cuddly today. Could he having problems with his bedding? He uses CareFresh Bedding. He likes to push it around and stuff.

Sigh, and I just being a paranoid mommy? Anyone else have problems with sneezing? Thanks in advance for anyhelp! I don't know what I'd do without you guys!You ease my worried mind.

Okay, I've been paying much better attention tohim...still no wetness around his nose...he seems sleepy, but i'm notso sure it's out of the ordinary (it is pretty late, and we all areusually in bed by now). He sneezes twice in a row about everyminute or two. Hope this helps for any suggestions about whathis problem might be...

I will be calling the vet too tomorrow...but any help sooner will help

Oh yeah! he does't sneeze when he is outside of his cage nearly as much...infact, he hardly sneezes once.

Greetings EmmitsMom,

It certainly sounds like you know what to check for. I would have him tested anyway for Pasteurella.

Have you always used CareFresh and was this never a problem before? Youmight read BunnyMommy's last note in "Lessons I've Learned..." It maybe a few pages back, but you'll find that after going through all sortsof things, they learned that Sherman has allergies. I know Tucker hasallergies and he's been sneezing more lately. No discharge, just aquick sneeze.

I don't know about your area, but the pollen count here is Very High this year.

It seems too coincidental that he's only sneezing so much when he's inhis cage. Something's got to be up with that, but it couldn't hurt tohave the vet run a test to ease your mind or to catch it early on if itis.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Emmit is doing better today. He hasalways used CareFresh, but for some reason, his sneezing was worse thepast two days. There is still no nasal discharge, and nothingseems out of the ordinary. Martin is still asleep up there,and I know Emmit is dying to get out and hop around...I'm just waitingfor him to wake Martin up.

The pollen in our area is pretty high. I had no idea bunniescould have allergies. It never crossed my mind. Ireally don't think it's the bedding though, he loves to push it aroundwith his nose, and when he does that, it doesn't seem to bother him orcause him to sneeze.

What a silly little bun. Anyway, thanks for the help! I'll let you know how this unfolds.

Little mist his hay to keep the dust down. I wouldhave him tested just to be on the safe side. Pollen also can affectbuns like humans. Better to be safe then sorry by not having him check.I am very paranoid when I hear a bun sneeze though

bunty wrote:
mist his hay to keep the dust down.
I would avoid misting the hay, especially in the humid weather (unlesshe is immediately consuming it) as molds can grow rather quickly on thehay.

Pam

He seems to be doing better today. Ithink it might be the pollen in the air. We live in an areawhere there are lots of blooming trees and plants, and you can see newpollen collected on cars everyday, so it's very plausable. Heisn't sneezing nearly as much, so that's great.

He seems to be very happy and healthy...lots and lots of binkies and flops on the floor to be pet.

Thanks for all the help everyone! Martin, Emmit, and I all appreciate it!

My buns is also sneezing alot and i took her tothe vet., The vet told me she is probably just allergic to all thedust, cause we are in a new area and there is so much dust from all thehouses being built around her..

so see what the vet says it is always better to be safe than sorry. But my guess is he is just alergic to something in the air

Maddie_20

I'd get her tested, just to be on the safe side,Maddie_20. It certainly could be allergies, but a test willtell you for sure.

-Carolyn

Carolyn.. Have been trying to find bunnymommysthread on "lessons I've learned..." but have been unsuccessful... Canyou repost it?

Thanks

Susan

Carolyn wrote:
I'dget her tested, just to be on the safe side, Maddie_20. Itcertainly could be allergies, but a test will tell you for sure.

-Carolyn
Should I just ask the vet to test her? or what... i am taking her tothe vet day after tommorow just to make sure everything is okay

Hon iwouldnt just ask forthe test i would Demand it ,pasturella isnt something tofool with , its fast and deadly, i dont mean tosound harsh but some vets will take amind to not listenand try to blow you off , as notknowing what your talking about, dont let that happen , i know the testis a little expensive but whenit comes to the health ofyour bunnys its well worth it .

thanks gypsy,

But she doesn't have a runny nose or watery eyes and is totally fineotherwise.. and the last time the doctor checked her a week ago she hasbeen acting the exact same way.. and the doctor said she didn't hearanything that would worry her at all she didn't think she had snufflesor anything

so what should i do... ???

I am scared i don't want to lose my bun but i don't want to spend a fortune right now that i don't have... :(

Maddie_20 wrote:
thanks gypsy,

But she doesn't have a runny nose or watery eyes and is totally fineotherwise.. and the last time the doctor checked her a week ago she hasbeen acting the exact same way.. and the doctor said she didn't hearanything that would worry her at all she didn't think she had snufflesor anything

so what should i do... ???

I am scared i don't want to lose my bun but i don't want to spend a fortune right now that i don't have... :(
This is a tough call.

Getting her tested would give you a definative answer.

We've had Rosie for a month and she has had several sneezing fits. No eye or nose discharge and paws are always dry.

I started to notice certain things....she only does it in hercage...she only does it in the evening...and lastly, she only does itafter sticking her nose into the bottom of her bowl of pellets at theend of the day when there is a lot of dust remaining from the pellets.Hmmmmmm.

I check her so often and throughly that Rosie is starting to getannoyed with me. She sneezes and immediastely turns around to see whereI am....like "It's just a sneeze, Daddy! Leave my nose alone!! Quitlookin in my eyes like that!! Leggo my paws!!! I'm gonna bite you!!"

She's a healthy girl from nose to tail and since I started sifting herpellets she hasn't sneezed. I'll just keep a close eye on her.

~Jim

JimD wrote:
This is a tough call.

Getting her tested would give you a definative answer.

We've had Rosie for a month and she has had several sneezing fits. No eye or nose discharge and paws are always dry.

I started to notice certain things....she only does it in hercage...she only does it in the evening...and lastly, she only does itafter sticking her nose into the bottom of her bowl of pellets at theend of the day when there is a lot of dust remaining from the pellets.Hmmmmmm.

I check her so often and throughly that Rosie is starting to getannoyed with me. She sneezes and immediastely turns around to see whereI am....like "It's just a sneeze, Daddy! Leave my nose alone!! Quitlookin in my eyes like that!! Leggo my paws!!! I'm gonna bite you!!"

She's a healthy girl from nose to tail and since I started sifting herpellets she hasn't sneezed. I'll just keep a close eye on her.

~Jim
She only seems to sneeze when she is out but i am still worried i don'twant anything to be wrong so hopefully when i see the vet tommorow shewill tell me all is okay and i will be fine.. but yes i check her eyesand her nose so we will see what happens.

Thanks

Maddie_20

JimD wrote:

Getting her tested would give you a definitive answer.

~Jim

Testing may help to rule certain pathogens out or indicate exposure toparticular pathogens, however it often does not give a definitiveanswer on the cause of the rhinitis. Most testing does alsonot give conclusive results on particular strains ofpathogens. There are numerous strains of pasteurella -- somevirulent, others benign --most tests cannot distinguishbetween those strains. The tests actually identify antibodiesto certain pathogens, which only indicates exposure and not necessarilycurrent infection.

A friend of mine had blood tests done on some of her rabbits whichoccasionally sneezed and had some nasal discharge. The testsdid rule out exposure to some pathogens, but did not identify theactual reason the rabbits were sneezing.

Pam

Latest posts

Back