Hair Loss

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellochicago

Reaction score
I have a 1 year-old female Mini Lop (Ava) and a 6+ year-old Polish (Davey).

Davey is missing fur on his forehead, right between his eyes. It's often where Ava will nuzzle and clean him, so I'm curious if it's simply her loving him a bit too much or something else.

He's not in pain, both normally and when I touch the spot, and his behavior hasn't changed.

Should I be worried? Should I separate them with cages, but keep them next to each other?

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated as these are my first bunnies and a huge part of my life.

XO-C

aurora369 wrote:
It could be over grooming by his mate, or it could be the start of an aggressive molt.

Is the spot completely bare? Or is there some fresh fur starting to grow?

-Dawn

It's completely bare. There are smaller tuffs of fur that could be new hair growing. Think I should just monitor him and keep track of the spot?

If it is completely bare, and it is a favourite spot for his mate to groom, then my first guess would be over grooming from his mate.

Keep an eye on him for a little bit and see if the fur does start to grow back on it's own. Also watch his mate and see if she is aggressively grooming that spot.

If his mate is the cause, they may need to be seperated so his fur can grow back in. You would need to do this in such a way that they could still see and interact with each other. Bonded mates that are separated can get very depressed, so a full separation would not be the best, just enough so the little guys fur can grow back.

A picture of the spot would also really help. Here is a guide to using Photobucket and posting pictures:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=25443&forum_id=66

-Dawn

I agree it could be overgrooming. Do they get lots of time to play, and toys to keep them occupied? Sometimes bunnies get bored and do destructive things by accident.

Sorry for the late reply! I've been monitoring Davey and making sure that their toys are visible to them and the fur has been growing back!

Seems its just a case of too much Ava Lulu lovin'!

Thank you!!!

Latest posts

Back