New Rabbit in the House

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbits

Reaction score
One of our readers needs help!
"hi my name is ceri and 5 weeks ago myself and my husband bought arabbit from a pet sanctuary. Chubbs is about 1 years old and in goodhealth we have managed to litter train him but now we desperately needhelp on how to tame him, he doesn't bite but he doesn't like to besmoothed or picked up either. I know I'm holding him correctly but hejust doesn't like it. He is a house rabbit of which he is in a largecage during the day and then comes out in the living room in thevenings however he has ripped all my wall paper off the walls andstill doesn't want to know us, it's a Case of "go away I'm free" Idecided to try to put in a large run the length of my living room so hehad lots of space but he seemed to be stressed and wanting to get outthen when i tried to help him and pick him up he runs away. It's reallyhard as i feel he's not happy. Sorry this is such a long email butplease help I've read most rabbit books but none of them help????????"

Hi Ceri,

Is Chubbs neutered? That will have a big effect on his behavior. Ifhe's not, for reasons of health and longevity of life, it's best tohave him neutered if you don't plan on breeding him. It usually calmsthem down.

Assuming he is, I can only imagine what Chubbs has been through at thispoint in his life. He's a year old, his personality is still quiteyoung. He's just starting to 'come into his own'. He's been shuffledabout and who knows how he was treated before he fell into your lovingarms. How very dear of you, truly, to get Chubbs at a pet sanctuary.

The wallpaper is something that's hard to stop. I hate to tell youthat, but people have tried sour apple spray, hot sauce, and all typesof things, but rabbits enjoy the taste of the glue. It won't hurt them,but I know what it does to your wall! *Argh!* The only thing I canthink to stop it is to keep him away from the wallpapered rooms.

Chubbs doesn't know whether he's coming or going. We don't know whethersomeone who didn't know how to handle him used to pick him up all thetime and that's why the aversion to it. Are his nails trimmed? Ifthey're too long, they could be sensitive. Give the young man time andspace. Talk to him a lot, and let him approach you rather than youmoving toward him. When he's in his cage at night, talk to him softlyand wish him a good-night. Don't try to pet him at first, just sit nextto the cage when the house is 'turned down' and you're heading off tobed, and talk to him for a minute or two. When you start to see himrelax after doing this so many times then just pet him gently in hiscage as you talk to him.

Don't try to pick him up except for when you have to trim his nails. Heneeds to learn to trust you and he'll do that if you back off. He's ina new environment and quite frankly wondering how long this one isgoing to last. That's what I'd be wondering if I were him. As he getsto know his routine of feedings at the same time, you giving him space,talking to him a lot, and giving him a treat once or twice a week,(Don't Overdue. Too many treats damage rabbits intestines, etc.), himgetting his needs met through hay and getting to know the house that'snow his, he'll be more loving. He just is freaked out and reacting as ayoung adult would...which is what he is in rabbit years. They're justlike kids. They need patience, love, reassurance, room to grow, and asteady routine. When he's running around, lay down on the floor and lethim hop up or around you and get used to your smell. Don't try to touchhim, just talk to him. You'll be surprised at how much he understands,and annoyed at how selective his hearing is when he gets in trouble.

He may never like being picked up, my rabbit doesn't enjoy it. He'lltolerate it for me, but he doesn't like it. I get daily kisses galorefrom him, he snuggles up to me every night, uses me as a ladder if hehas to, has no hestitation to jump on my lap and check out what I'mdoing at any given moment, and will dig at me to get me to sit the wayI want him to in order for His Majesty to get comfortable and fallasleep.

My rabbit, Tucker, didn't really come near me much at all for the firstyear and 1/2 of his life. Always playin that "Can't touch This!" game.I hated it, but I had to wait it out. Now, he's always underfoot.

Take what you like of what I've said and leave the rest. Please keep us posted how it's going.

-Carolyn

thankyou ever so much for your advice i will betaking it all into consideration i know this may probably sound softbut having chubbs neutered will it make him disclike me? do think?

Thanks once again and isn't this website fab!:)CeriXX

Quite the contrary, Ceri. Getting Chubbs fixed will mellow him out andmake him more loving towards you. That's the way most rabbits are. Oncethey're fixed, they seem to relax a little, definitely more loving,want to be bothered with you when they call the shots for timing, andChubbs will live a much longer life.

If you're worried about expenses, there are animal clinics that mayreduce their prices a bit. Check with the shelter and see what theywould recommend.

I would strongly suggest that you get that Chubber-Wubber fixed. He'lllose some of the attitude. I'm also convinced that most of hisnastiness is coming from his hormones racing.

Keep us posted on what you learn.

-Carolyn

Im thinking about getting a "hus-bunn" for mybunny girl, and was wondering at what age can a male rabbit beneutered? should i introduce my girl rabbit to my new bunny before heis fixed, or should i wait?

Sealy B,

Male rabbits can get neutered at the age of 3 1/2 months...even thoughmost vets recommend getting a male rabbit neutered at 5 months. If youdo get a "hus-bunn" for your bunny, I wouldn't put the two rabbitstogetherafter the male is neutered cause otherwise you mightend up with unexpected kits.

Cassandra

Ceri wrote:
thankyou ever so much for your advice i will be taking itall into consideration i know this may probably sound soft but havingchubbs neutered will it make him disclike me? do think?

Thanks once again and isn't this website fab!:)CeriXX

Carolyn has covered all bases rather well, and I cannot really think ofanything constructive I could add regarding the behaviorissues. She is rather proficient at reading bunny "talk," asI've had the pleasure of personally experiencing her handling of herown and our bunnies.

If you are concerned about Chubbs associating you with the surgery,make arrangements to have it done, then let someone other than yourselfactually take him to the vet's which it is time. When it istime to be picked up, you can dramatically appear and "rescue" him fromthe terrible doctor's office.

I would wholeheartedly support Carolyn's suggestion to have himfixed. It is better for all concerned. Mightalleviate the wall paper problem. No promises, but it mighthelp.

Yes, the website here definitely has a sense family about it, and all are most willing to help if they can.

Buck

Latest posts

Back