Thunder Storms

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score
How do your rabbits react to thunder andlighteningstorms?

We had a real doozie of one last night. lost lights, the whole 9yards, but by looking at Tucker, he hadn't a care in the world aboutit. It startled me, but not Tucker. He's so calmand cool.

-Carolyn

My buns do alot of thumoing when the storms getreal loud unless we are up in the warren with them. They were scaredlast year during Isabel but they thought it was neat we were allhunkered down together for days. They were fine they had there pellpells and hay and we did not have any hot food for a time.

I've noticed that Apollo does get scared. He runsand hides in his cage and no amount of sweet talk or treats will gethim out til it's over. Athena didn't mind at all.

Tina

We had a thunderstorm theotherweek - probably just a tiny one compaired to the onesthat you have as thunderstorms aren't that commonhere-I jumped outside asI was scared forthe babies. They were all huddled together inside their bedand Daisy was really close to them, as to try and protect them Isuppose!To my shock :shock:eek:ne of the little ones(it was actually Siobhan's Kiara) made a dash for the hutch door as Iopened it.I think she must have been reallyfrightened!I was worried sick as i couldn't find her anywhereas she was still tiny - I shouted Ryan who came rushing out in just histowel (he was gettting ready for work at the time:)) and he was on allfours trying to find her (this would have been a funny sight if itwasn't for the circumstances:D). An hour went past and Ryan had to gotowork, by this time I was just in pieces and I felt soterrible thinking that I might never see her again - She'd only juststarted on pellets and I didn't think she would survive in the rain -Although it had stopped it was stillvery wet. She was therunt of the litter so I thought she didn't stand a chance without hermummy! I also felt really bad as Alyssa could see me in this state andit started to upset her - Luckily Siobhan had just come round. Afterall the crawling around and looking under things I started to get painin my stomach - I had strained myself and was bothered about mybabyso Siobhan said she would look out for a bit! I rung myMum to tell herwhat I'd doneand while I was cryingdown the phone, expecting not to see Kiara again I heard her shout'she's here, I've got her'. I've never felt such relief. It turns outshe had climbed up the hutch onto the blanketI use to coverthem up at night. I think she was trying to get back in to her Mum. Shemust have been so scared of that thunder! Needless to say she got lotsof extra hugs and attention that night :)!

Blimey this is a really long post - I think I got a bit carried away!

Vickie

Oh My, Folks! You guys think you write long posts and then I read someof mine which are usually twice as long and I think, "What must they bethinking?":shock:

Michelle,

Glad to hear Megan's not bothered by them.

Batbunny,

I don't blame Batman for being a bit unnerved when they're just overhead.

Bunty,

Isabel was a horrible hurrican/tornado. I think that's the worst we'vehad for years over here in the States. What a scary experience for you.I loved how you said you went to the warren and huddled.

'We had no hot food for a time.' What a drag! I'm sure you wereprepared because they gave you guys warning, but what a pain to gowithout electric. I think I'd climb the walls.

dajeti2,

Does Apollo like to be held? I'm sure you're the one who would be ableto hold him in such a storm. Athena was smart. She let him have all thefear so that she could relax. Afterall, there's no sense in both ofthem freaking out.

VJC,

You are somethin else, Chicky. Nine-months pregnant and you look for arabbit until it hurts. Well, I can't say I don't understand it becauseas you so eloquently told the story, I was right there with you inspirit and feeling going through it with you. You silly, silly, Silly!Getting on your hands and knees like that after Pamnock Warned Us thatbunnies climb! ;)

I hope you relax with a nice cup of hot tea tonight.

Don't worry about the baby bunnies and going out to check on them in the middle of a thunderstorm! Blimey!

:dude:

-Carolyn

My boys better not be afraid of storms, they'reoutside bunnies! When Mocha was a tiny baby I'd bring him in and cuddleduring storms, but not anymore. Spice has always stayed outside sincehe was already older when I got him. Normally I run outside to checkthat no rain is coming in and they seem fine, it's more likely to be methat's scared and probably hiding under my covers! lmao.

Oreo gets scared sometimes, if the thunder isreally really loud... she'll perk up and sit with her ears straight upand her eyes wide open buldging out looking like someone is stranglingher lol. If it's low rumbling kind of thunder she acts like nothingshappening & thelightening doesn't bother her either. :)

~pam

I really wish Apollo was as calm as some of youbunns are. The second he first hears the thunder he is gone. He is ablur as he runs to his cage. I tried holding him once to show him itwas ok. He wanted no part of it. I have the scars to prove it lol. He'sfine in his cage. Poor guy is so big but he's scared of storms and fish.

Tina

Storms and fish, huh? *Chuckle* Rabbitsare so unique... My rabbits Benny and Thumper would stomptheir feet, then sprint to the other end of the room or bed or cage,wherever they were. They would stretch their necks outlooking around, eyes wide, little floppy ears forward. Thenthey would let out a squeak that sounds like a guinea pig sound, thumpand dart again. They did this if the air ever became stagnantoutside, too.

Latest posts

Back