A "Rabbit Person"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score

I thought this was amusing. It's written by Laura Doering:

"Ever notice that someone who shares his or her life and home with apet rabbit is often referred to as a "rabbit person?" Those whose petsare cats or dogs generally don't warrant such a title--unless theirhome is over-run with cats and dogs. Not the case with us. It justtakes one rabbit, and suddenly you are the "rabbit person." And friendsand relatives are happy to let others know about you: "Oh, you have arabbit...my neighbor (son, daughter, friend, co-worker) has a rabbittoo."

A few years ago we did a whole series on ourreaders' experiences with friends' and families' perspective on ouranimal affiliation...
When I first started the magazine, I was single and bringing up that topic was an interesting subject during first dates...
There's nothing like taking a new date to a rabbit show!
Danielle Hayduk

hahahahaha What a great idea, Danielle!!

We carry a rabbit, sometimes two, around with us ina back pack I've converted to a "front" pack.when we go toflea markets, antique shoppes, craft shows, anywhere the venue willpermit us to. Our rabbits accompany us to the local VFW Post,where they are welcomed guests and receive a great deal of attentionfrom many of the ladies there.

Needless to say, this immediately identifies us as rabbitpeople. By and large, the interactions have beenpositive. People are often most curious about rabbits as petsand are amazed that they are capable of doing more than languishingforever in a cage or hutch. We are also accosted by many"former" rabbit owners who had one when they were children and ourrabbits engender many nostalgic memories for them.

Buck :D

Heh, that'sfunny. Well, I've always been interested in animals, and myfriends have picked up on it over time, so they always refer to me asthe 'weird animal lover'. They would always talk about howugly or revolting a slug or a turkey looked, and I would always be theone to think they were the cutest things on the Earth (come on, how canyou not like a slug?):p

Actually, when I first got myrabbit, more people thought it was either 'cool', or mentioned thatthey had at one point owned a rabbit or knew of someone close to themthat did. It was really strange; I never knew that so manypeople around me owned or did own at one time a rabbit. Theyhad never mentioned it until I had mentioned that I got onemyself.

--Melissa and Umbra

We don't have ourrabbits yet but, my family thinks we are just nuts! We only have onedog one chameleon and one fish right now and we are getting our boys,Buster and Tucker in March!

We are always referred too as the animalfamily... or the zoo! LOL I love my animals and being a vet tech, it'sonly natural!

Our dog Daytona has seperation anxiety, so hecomes with us EVERYWHERE! and if he can't for some reason, either wedon't go, only one of us goes, or we get a sitter for him!

Lyndsy

Carolyn wrote:
And friends and relatives are happy to let others know aboutyou: "Oh, you have a rabbit...my neighbor (son, daughter, friend,co-worker) has a rabbit too."

hahahaha, that's so true! I can't tell you how many people just startreeling off the bunny stories when I mention I have rabbits. Yep,that's me, the bunny lady
icon_lol.gif
. Theinstant people know you have bunnies, they refer questions to you, evenrefer other people to you ("Oh yeah, Emily has rabbits...") I doget the occasional wierd look when I mention they live inside. In mybedroom *gasp*. Of course, having photos of them on hand and photos ofother people's rabbits in my wallet don't help either :p

Also, having four cats has managed to brand me as a "cat lady" too
icon_rolleyes.gif
(naturally, being single only compounds this)

lol, everyone around here knows i've got azillion animals (one pony, a cow i've broken to ride, two dogs, five orso cats, tons of fish) and recently people will be talking and i'llcome up because they want someone to talk to about animals/their animalcare and they'll be like, "Oh, yea. well. Ellie's got two rabbits and ahamster now.....yes, i know, ......zoo....menagerie." lol....ellie

Oh yeah, the zoo. We've had all manner ofanimals in this house (15 at one time was the most, all inside pets)and I got sooo many comments. Yeah, Emily hasferrets/rats/cats/frogs/*insert pet here* :p It got to the pointwhere I actually made a door sign for "The Domestic Zoo" (hence many ofmy internet nicknames: domesticzookeeper)

We have a sign that says "critter crossing" on our front door. You alwayshave to watch your feet here!

and our "incase of emergencies" sticker on the door has been replacedso many times, the numbers go up :DI can't keep trck anymore!LOL

How hilarious! For years at college I was the"bunny lady" at FSU. My rabbit and I were always out on the grass bythe library studying. :) I loved it. I wear the title proudly. :D

Carolyn wrote:

"Ever notice that someone who shares his or her life and home with apet rabbit is often referred to as a "rabbit person?" Those whose petsare cats or dogs generally don't warrant such a title--unless theirhome is over-run with cats and dogs. Not the case with us. It justtakes one rabbit, and suddenly you are the "rabbit person." And friendsand relatives are happy to let others know about you: "Oh, you have arabbit...my neighbor (son, daughter, friend, co-worker) has a rabbittoo."
We'respecial.

It's also fun when you meet other "rabbit people"someplace. I was at a friend's birthday pary and met a man there whohad rabbits. Needless to say we spent close to an hour - solid -talking about only rabbits. People thought we were nuts!

LOL....I'm known as "the bunny lady" here. I'mthe same as everyone else here though. If I'm around other rabbitlovers we could spend hours talking about bunnies.

Lanna

LOL i like that. I wonder if any body has calledme that (a rabbit person). The guys at work always pick on me and callme the "lizard lady" because I run the reptile department at work andthey know that when the introduce me to costomers like that I alwaysturn red. Well boys will be boys right. SIGHHH.... They are alwaystrying to get a rise out of me I think because they even made me a signin the back that says the lizard queen.....

I don't think I've ever been called a "RabbitPerson". If I had more than one rabbit (although technicallyI do, seeing I kinda seem to have adopted my mothers), then I thinksure, it would fit.. But withonly one, it doesn'tseemright, and I don't know why, lol.

Someone I know would suit the title so well though. My sister now hasfive rabbits, and her house is often referred to as a "Zoo". I cal itthat myself. :pHow an it not be with two dogs, a kitten, twobirds, five rabbits, two guinea pigs, three mice, a hamster and somefish (I swear I'm forgetting something)?

So basically, my conclusion to this rambling, is that if you have morethan one of that animal, it would probably be more of a chance thatyou'd be called such. As mentioned in the first post. :p

Oh, and I kinda feel bad for not watching the forums lately. Life hasbeen kinda hectic (my canary died, and a got two more for my bday, andI haven't been home much). But I think I might be around more.

lyndsy wrote:
We don't have our rabbits yetbut, my family thinks we are just nuts! We only have one dog onechameleon and one fish right now and we are getting our boys, Busterand Tucker in March!

Lyndsy

Welcome aboard,Lyndsy,

Unfortunately, I missed the pictures of your new beauties in the otherrabbit show, but I understand they were adorable.

Doesn't one of them have only one ear?

Can you post them here? I'd love to see them.

-Carolyn

Abbi wrote:
Oh,and I kinda feel bad for not watching the forums lately. Life has beenkinda hectic (my canary died, and a got two more for my bday, and Ihaven't been home much). But I think I might be around more.

No worries, Abbi. It's good to see you back.

I'm glad you stopped in.

I'm so sorry about yourcanary.

My heart goes out to you.

With deepest sympathy,

-Carolyn

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Carolyn wrote:

We'respecial.
Do you really think so? LOL

Latest posts

Back