Potty Training (need help please!)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlitzensmyBunny

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had a miniature rex since this Christmas, He was two months oldwhen I got him (At least that is what the strore told us).

Now my problem is I have been litter box training him since about aweek after I received him. He goes most of the time in his box (in thecage) but when I let him out on the floor in my house he does not haveseem to have any control over urinating or pooping on the ground. I puthim in a small cardboard box for potty violations for "Time-Out", butthis seems to not be getting anywhere! I am so frusturated and wantBlitzen to be a good bunny. My question is what do I do!?! Is it thathis box is in the next room from where he plays? Do I need box outsideof his cage for putting in the room he is playing in or would thisconfuse him?...Or any other sugguestions? I would love for someone tohelp me! Thank you very much!

Hello there,

My little bunny Mocha is 11 weeks old now and I have been verysucessful in her potty-training. I started with a corner litter pan inher house. For a while I still had the problem of her pooping when shecame out, but over time she is doing much better. I would suggestputting a litter pan in the same room she is allowed to play in as wellas in her house. Hope this helps!

Welcome to the forum, BlitzenismyBunny!

You should definitely have an area in his cage where he can urinate andpoop. They usually pick one corner. That's where you should put thelitterbox.

I brought up a post entitled "Litterbox Training" by Rabbits. I thoughtyou might find it an interesting read. After you've gone through it,ask any questions you have.
:)

It'll at least give you something to start with, I hope.

-Carolyn

Thank you so much for you're kind and wonderful help!
You are so very nice to help me and my Bunny!:)

We already love Blitzen!

And, we'd like for you to hold onto your sanity.

:)

Welcome Aboard! I love the name Blitzen for a bunny.

-Carolyn

I also have been havingproblems with litter training our little Emmit. He's almost 4months old, and we got him about 3 weeks ago. Our problem isthat he hasn't "picked" a spot that he goes in. He goespretty much anywhere he wants to in his cage. He's gettingbetter about not pooping when we let him hop around our room,but we can't seem to figure out where he likes to go thebest...or where to put his litter box. My fiance readsomewhere that because our little man is going through puberty, hispotty habbits will not be consistent. We're getting him fixedin a little over than a week...so hopefully that will help.Any suggestions?

Welcome Aboard, Emmit's Mom,

Bunnies will pick their own corner to use as their litterarea. Your best bet is to give in and place the litterboxwhere they go. Did you read the post entitled "LitterboxTraining" by Rabbits? I'd suggest you start there as well.

My eyes aren't what they used to be. It would really behelpful if you could stick to a black font. Pink is verypretty, but I really struggle trying to read it. :)

As to your question about pictures: There's a post entitled "Avatars& Pictures". In there are detail instructions on howto post or create them.

Emmit is a Love! What a handsome fellow.

Happy to have you with us!

-Carolyn

We had a little guy in rescue and we put threelitter boxes in his cage that is was almsot covered with littler boxesand slowly removed the extra ones until he chose to go in one at onecorner. You are right as he is a young man doing his thing. If you donot plan to breed or show check out nuetering OK

So sorry to hurt anyone's eyes! I'llstick to black from now on :p. Thanks for yoursuggestions...and yes he is a handsome bunny boy...and he uses hiscuteness to his advantage! We can never resist those big eyesof his! He has us trained!

Have a great day everyone...back to my classwork...(blah!)

I know -- I've said itbefore. Spaying of neutering doeswonders. Before we had Roxy fixed, she left her "coffeebeans" everywhere. The day after her little procedure she wasgoing in her litter pan :D -- Kim

I do not know where you live but alot of humanesocietys and shelters have spay/neuter programs. Make sure they haveexperience with rabbits though as they need special anesthia

Call locally and ask if they have a localspay/neuter program also PETA has a van that does it don't know if theydo buns or not. It does not hurt to call around and also you can notput price before safety because buns need special care. Ask questionstalk to us here to get a feel if you are going the right place. HRS hasa list of questions to ask vet.

Latest posts

Back