My Rant Today

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyNBuster

Reaction score
Home of the white rabbits, , United Kingdom
I had noticed recently that my pet shop hadn'thad any rabbits in. I asked if they had a problem or anything and theysaid they just hadn't got any available at the suppliers. They saiddemands where slow at this time of the year but they would have lotsavailable at Easter time.

I looked at him while I continued to pay for my rabbit food and thensaid "Oh so you actually still sell rabbits at Easter?" He replied "Yesits when we get the most sold, its our best time of the year." I lookedat him funny and said "Don't youworry that a lot of therabbits that you sell over that time will probably just be fad buys andthey may end up being abandoned or neglected. I am disappointed as Ihave come to you for a long time and even send my rabbits here when Igo on holiday. I never would have thought that you would just beinterested in how much money you can make over this period." The guyjust looked at me like I was weired.

I felt quite bad after this as I have alway thought highly of them andthey have always been really helpful to me when I have had problemswith my rabbits. It is a family run business and I expected more fromthem. Ryan said that I shouldn't have said anything as it is a businessafterall, but I couldn't help myself. It is just unbearable to thinkwhat might happen to rabbits after Easter is over. I wasprobably out of order to say anything, but I just snapped.

Vickie

You did the right thing and you should not in theleast feel bad about standing up for those with no way to do it forthemselves... the bunnies. It is possible that mabey theowners of this store do not understand the repercussions of massselling rabbits on easter, and if they understand and dont care theydont deserve your business. Personal I do not condone petstore's selling rabbits at all as they come from bad circumstances andover breed in horrific situations. I feel the same way about theselling of any animal in this way. The animal society's areoverwhelmed with unwanted rabbits from these so called pet stores, andmany arrive in a abused state as the "thrill" went away for there humanowners, the rabbits suffered. All local humane society's spayand neuter there animals free of charge for you, a cost that alot of usstruggle to pay when our rabbits reach puberty. Also older rabbitsgenerally are housebroken and have gentle manners as they areaccustomed to be in the company of humans. Just a few thoughts after Iread your post.

Bless your heart, Vickie.

I'm so glad to hear when people speak up.
The animals don't have a voice.

Lissa made her shelter make positive changes because she did speak up.She was a lot harder on them than you were. You kept your cool, but youmade your point. I truly don't think you have anything to feel bad orguilty about. Why shouldn't they stop and think about it?

I'm sorry that you have found out their dirty little secret aftertrusting them. I can certainly understand why you feel the way you do.

Don't wear the hair shirt over this. You didn't do anything wrong otherthan care for the future of rabbits that you don't know and speak upfor them. That's not such a terrible thing; that's the sign of a verystrong, intelligent, thinking, loving woman.

-Carolyn

It may be a business, but they are dealing with living creatures, not shelf products.

Ed

Hi Vickie

I think you were right too. They will obviously continue todo it and make their biggest rabbit sales at Easter but at least youmade the owner think about what he is doing. It's importantthat you said something...if you'd kept quiet and gone back home itwould have been naggingaway at you.

Go girl!

Good for you! In those situations, I often bitemy tongue and end up kicking myself later for not saying anything ;)I'm glad you had the guts to say what was on your mind :cool:

Thanks all. The reason why it upset me is thefact that they have taken in neglected rabbits before and nursed themback to health. Last year they rescued a doe and her only survivingbaby. The does owners had moved house and left them to fend forthemselves in the back and a dog had attacked them. They took her andthe baby in and when they were well enough they re-homed them. I justthought they would have known better.

Vickie

Latest posts

Back