Syphillis/nose discharge

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I went over to my parents yesterday after shopping and waiting till it was 4 to do something else. Anyways I went outside to check on my 2 remaining Rabbits Smokies and D.C. I picked Smokies up gave her a good cuddle then flipped her over to give her a good look over. I noticed right away her Anus was wet from bad poops and her Vulva was red looking and on the base she had white bumps :(
I PM'd Tonyshuman to see what she thought it could be and said it sounded like Syphillis.
Like this is what I need another sick bunny :(, I guess I'm drawn to them. I took a couple of photos with my cell phone ill share with you. Thet aren't very big so I'm not sure if they will help. On the picture you can sort of see white bumps on the base.

090629142700.jpg
090629142500.jpg

She was had some soft stool coming out when I brought her inside. YUK
She is bonded with D.C. her BF.
Does this look like I need a vet visit? I'll try and go over to the parents place and get better pictures with my digital camera since I dont know where Dad has his.

it is hard to tell because the bumps are so small; try to get some pics that are better ; don't freak out because if itis syphyllis it is very very treatable and in the case of your bun it has not developed into anything substantial yet.
i will post more later ; I am posting from the shelter computer
It may not even be syphylis anyway
Maureen

Ok I took some photo's of her but they didn't show up really well.
Here's the link http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm320/PolarWabbit/Bunny Health Photos/

But now there's another concern. I have them outside on a chair swing while video chatting with Jen and Kate and Smokies Sneezed and it has a bit of white discharge. I know thats not normal. So I guess the i'll call for sure tomorrow and get her an appt. to be seen. I think I will also take her and her bunny BF home with me as well so I can keep a good eye on her.

The little white bumps are so small that it is difficult to know what it could be . it doesn't necessarily mean it 's syphylis because it is in the area of the vent. I doubt whether the sneeze is related but overallI think that you are right that the best course of action is to go to the vet .
let us know

Sorry for the ongoing problems with your buns :(

PS: Maybe some time I will spell the word syphylis the same way twice; just cannot seem to get the sp. of that word down ......

Yeah, it could be syphillis, but also could be a fungal infection or skin infection of bacteria. I think with the sores and redness it looks like an early case of syphillis, not one that's gotten all crusty yet.

It's possible that her immune system is under stress because of whatever this thing is, and that's causing a URI to gain a foothold. It may just go away when you get the other issue treated, especially if she's given antibiotics as they frequently help with URIs, but it may need treating of its own. Bad luck, there. I'm sorry!

Here's a few pictures of discharge in her nose. Just the 1 side.

SmokiesNose1.jpg
SmokiesNose2.jpg

Just my luck getting a sick rabbit. Maybe it's my job as a bunny parent to take care of sick ones. We had a boy years ago before Monsters who we think got E.C. but didn't survive it. He passed away in my mom's arm's I think. :(

definately respiratory infection/nasal culture recommended./enterococcus suspected/.may be a good job for trimethoprim sulfate,/this may help the rear end too.,sinceely james waller

Just a quick update. I've checked Smokies girl bits and there still Red. She still has a little bit of nasal discharge. The vet office is closed today, Go figure its Canada day! I will call for sure when I get up in the morning to make her an appt.

Can someone help me out with the debate of do I leave D.C. with Smokies or risk there Bond and separate them?

A few people told me to leave them together which I have been doing but a few people Dave(Saudade) told me I should separate them so he doesn't catch what she has.

Yes, keep them together. Separating them will only stress them out which will make recovery take longer, and DC has already been exposed.

Just got home, they were running late and we took the LONG bus home :(. We saw Dr. Parker and 2 new Intern's and the Summer student who we already know. Dr. Parker looked at her said her Vulva is a bit red but other than that it looks good nothing serious.

For Smokies nose discharge she said was likely Pasturella but her lungs sounded good so she didn't want to treat it. She flushed her nose out and said it looked milky which I guess is a good thing. She said to keep and eye on her and we might have to flush her nose again. Said it could just be the stress that brought it but, but to keep a close eye on which she knew we would do.

So over all the visit went great. :)

She also said she heard about Monsters and knew that was the best thing for her.

Rebecca

I 'm also glad that everthing went well; I don't know why it would be normal for the nasal discharge to be milky.. tho.. although it doesn't appear to be an infection that is even worth treating at this point

Rebecca you are such an excellent bunny owner

going all that way and back on the bus just to make sure that she was OK .....:)
Maureen

angieluv wrote:
I 'm also glad that everthing went well; I don't know why it would be normal for the nasal discharge to be milky.. tho.. although it doesn't appear to be an infection that is even worth treating at this point
I'm relieved that everything went well. We took D.C. along to keep her company, he was such a good little boy. She was a good girl as well.
Rebecca you are such an excellent bunny owner
:D
I feel proud to own my bunnies because they are always so well behaved at the vet office. I was holding Smokies while we walked to office through the campus and she was very well behaved and it carrier was 2.66kg liter for Kris.

going all that way and back on the bus just to make sure that she was OK .....:)

Maureen

Since I don't drive the Bus is our transportation and I don't mind taking it at all. The only other way I get there is if Mom is off or Dad was in the area. But that wasn't the case.

Rebecca

Latest posts

Back