some foods im not sure if rabbits can eat can any one tell me please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certainly can eat pears, but no pear seeds, thankyou! All parts of dandelion, but prefer leaves and succulentshoots. I'm not sure about tomato. I believe thereare areas of the tomatoor plant that may be dangerous.

Read A Cheat Sheet for Rabbit Care for lots of generalinformation like you are requesting by linking to it from thecontents/subject window.

In the meantime, here is the link it would provide for you regarding safe foods:

http://earthhome.tripod.com/rabsafe.html

Buck

I believe it's the leaves of the tomato plant that is unsafe for rabbits.

-Carolyn

We've got a pear tree in our yard so that's what's on the menu for special bunnie treats during the summer.

Dandelions, too! Our yard is full of them and the buns love them.

Tomatoes are ok!!...just no leaves pleeze as they are toxic to buns (and I would probably remove the seeds as well.... IMO).

:~) Jim

Correct me if I am wrong Carolyn or Buck butapples can be a good treat as well (peeled and the core taken out) inmoderation. Once in a while I give Shadow a little piece ofbannana, but have found that too much seems to get herconstipated. Glade to hear pears are safe, will try them.:D

I never thought to buy a pear for Bo! I'll have to do that also.

I heard that there isn't any nutrition in the tomatoes from somewhere,but I gave Bo a small slice of the "meat" of the tomatoe... he likedit. It isn't something that would be harmful in moderation Idon't think. If we have maters, he'll get a bite :)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I never thought to buy a pear for Bo! I'll have to do that also.

I heard that there isn't any nutrition in the tomatoes from somewhere,but I gave Bo a small slice of the "meat" of the tomatoe... he likedit. It isn't something that would be harmful in moderation Idon't think. If we have maters, he'll get a bite :)
really tomatoe? If it works then will try it, always have a handful around my home:pThanx Bo

yep, just make sure there is no vine or leaf on it those are bad. Otherwise they are safe for them.

Bo did his snooty nose at first but them gobbled it up. Igive him a little piece tho, so as not to give him the runs or too muchacidic stuff ya know?

Bo B Bunny wrote:
yep, just make sure there is no vine or leaf on it those arebad. Otherwise they are safe for them.

Bo did his snooty nose at first but them gobbled it up. Igive him a little piece tho, so as not to give him the runs or too muchacidic stuff ya know?
going to try this tonight!

I love giving him new stuff! I guess they don't get too tired of the same stuff, but I would and I like seeing his reactions!

This morning I gave him some oats, and he literally shakes with excitement! They are so funny!

blueyes65 wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong Carolyn or Buck but apples can be agood treat as well (peeled and the core taken out) inmoderation.
Give them all the time as our local cafe either gives apple or pearwith their breakfast. There being two of us, we usually have fruit tospare.

I am not contrary to giving our herd a piece of fruit per day, if wehave it available, as well as 1/2 cup of greens of some type oranother...of late Costco bagged spinach and/ heart ofromaine. The policy is conforming to my "natural diet"emphasis that I posted about on another thread.

In the case of an apple or pear, I slice either into six sections, oneper rabbit. I then "carve' the pit area outoneither fruitand each rabbit gets onepiece. So if you imagine either fruit cut into as manysections you will have an idea of what I am feeding, almoston a daily basis. I never remove the peel.

No ill effects noted, but I would like to point out that we worked into this in a gradual manner.

Buck

Bo gets a section of apple like that but halfed again. (we use an apple slicer) He loveeeeees apple!

He hasn't had any problems with stools or anything but he has picked upa bit of weight ... not too bad tho. I think he's just gottenhis adult weight.

Plus we love his tummy :)

This might be a stupidquestion but are all kinds of apples ok for them ( red, green, yellow,etc.) ?

Are oranges good for them? I'm pretty sure theyare but I just want to make sure because I have given orangestoNepo before. He's poops were fine.

How about kiwi? It's really good and I think Nepo would really enjoy it.:)

I've read that cucumbers and tomatos are not verygood for rabbits....but the majority of fruits (kiwi, mango,oranges..etc..) are good as treats in moderation...dunno, just what Iread...

-Vanessa

*nepo* wrote:
This might be a stupid question but areall kinds of apples ok for them ( red, green, yellow, etc.)?

Are oranges good for them? I'm pretty sure theyare but I just want to make sure because I have given orangestoNepo before. He's poops were fine.

How about kiwi? It's really good and I think Nepo would really enjoy it.:)

The link in A Cheat Sheet for Rabbit Care makes no distinctionabout types of apples I believe, and it would tell you yea or nay onthe orange/kiwi issue. It is difficult to remember all thedo's and don'ts from the top of my head and you could access it just aseasily as I can in order to answer any of the question you might have.

If you haven't read the list it is fairly interesting and mentions items I would never have thought of feeding to a rabbit.

Buck

Latest posts

Back