Rabbit Food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackiesmum

Reaction score
I have some questions about rabbit pellets. Whatshould I look for to get the best quality feed for Blackie? I bought abag when I first got him and now that I have been reading about pelletsI know they are not all created equally. Is there a brand name I shouldlook for?

What type do you feed your bunnies?

Thanks,

Mary

Welcome BlackiesMum,

Some of the more popular brands of Rabbit Pellet foods are Heinold,Purina, Nutreena, or Blue Seal. Protein levels should beanywhere from 15-20%. I wouldn't trust pellets that arecolorful as they tend to be higher in sugar and more pleasing to oureye rather than provide the nutrients and vitamins the rabbitsneed. I use Nutreena the moment, but will definitely moveback over to Heinold Show Forumla as I feel that it's the best food forshedding purposes. My rabbit sheds quicker and the less oftenwhen I use Heinold.

-Carolyn

I thought of another question..........what should not be in the rabbit pellets? Such as corn.:shock:

I would like to also know where I can find the brands Heinold, Purina,Nutreena, or Blue Seal. I checked online for PetSmart and did not seeany of these listed.

As you can tell I am fairly new to all this and I am so glad I found this forum for information.

Thank you,

Mary

Hi Blackiesmum,

Probably the biggest problem in rabbit food is the content ofsugar. Corn is to be fed only in moderation. Myrabbit can't stand corn. He'll always eat around itand then the kernel will drop out of his mouth when he's done chewingeverything else.

Heinold, etc., may be found at feedstores. Sometimes Agwaywill sell them or a Tractor Supply Company store. If all elsefails, see if you have any breeders in your area and some will sell youa bag from their supply or you can order it online.

-Carolyn

Mine seem to hate corn too except bunty who likescooked corn on the cob. I feed Big Red that comes from Southern States.It is very close to Purina and no fancy little sugar treats in it. Theyalso save me the torn bags and donate to the rescue. They also have BigBuns picture on the counter

Latest posts

Back