Easter Approaching

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
I would just like to remind everyone that Easter is fast approaching and we all can do something to at least try and help.

I'd like to ask everyone to write a letter or ask the HRS forpermission to use one of their Easter campaign flyers and send it intotheir local paper if they have a section where you can do somethinglike that.

I don't mean to ask too much but it's a lot cheaper than printing off hundreds of those flyers and posting them around town.

I just emailed the HRS asking to use their flyer to send to my local paper since I'm no good at writing letters.

Anyways, I just hope many of you will join me in my attempt to change things at least a little this Easter.

I have an e-mail in to the newspaper. Hopefully, I can get them to do an article.

I hope they do the article, too. :)

I just got a response from the HRS saying I could use the flyer as longas it is not edited and the credits and copyright notices are intact.She said I would need to contact her first if something needed editingand get her permission.

*bumping back up*

There are several good flyers here:

http://www.rabbit.org/easter/flyer/index.html

Here's what I have done, anyone else is free to add suggestions:

- write a "Letter to the Editor" of all the local papers

- call all pet stores in the area, whether they sell bunnies or not,and ask if you can set up a small display to hold flyers (such as theones above).

- go to grocery stores, convenience stores, local restaurants, vetsoffice, or wherever they may have a bulletin board and tack up aflyer or poster.

- if you can get a free or cheap ad in theClassifieds, writeup a small ad to the effect of: "Easter and Bunnies Don'tMix!www. rabbit .org"

Easter kinda snuck up on me this year, I've got to get to work on this :cool:

Yeah, no kidding it's sneaking up! I'm still barely past Christmas and New Years! :p J/k

Thanks for the info, m.e. I'm going to do just what you suggested,starting with a letter tothe local newspapers. Yes, plural onthe newspapers. :p

In fact, I'm going to draft something, and ask you guys to read it, soI can add/delete certain items. Maybe we can make it so all of us canprint up a copy and send it out. This way, perhaps some of us who thinkit's a good idea, but don't get around to it due tokids/work/school/life in general can just print a copy and send it off.

Just think about how many of us are here, and how many people we'd reach.

m.e. wrote:
*bump-a-dump*

Leith Petwerks (makers of the Bunny Abode Condos) have a form letter ontheir site that people are free to alterto fit theirsituation:

http://www.leithpetwerks.com/Bunfun/easterletter.html
These people are WONDERFUL! I ordered Bo some things fromthem right before Christmas. Just a little purchase of around$10 MAYBE..... They sent it right out and I got a nice little bag ofCandy from them also (for Christmas) and a note aboutbunnies.

They are from Indiana, too, so that gave them another brownie point with me :)

I dropped off all the Easter flyers to all the local pet stores on Saturday. :)

*bump*

Just wanted to see how everyone was doing :)

I marked the first week of March as being my week to "get the ballrollin'". I've already got a list of all the pet stores I want to hit,and all the newspapers to send letters to :cool:

Easter is often a time when many people, mainlyparents, make impulse purchases of "Easter bunnies". Not realizing howmuch work it really is to care for these animals, many rabbits areabandoned at shelters just a few months later when they've gotten to be"too big" or "too much work".

What we're trying to do is educate people. So that's why I posted this...

There are several good flyers here:

http://www.rabbit.org/easter/flyer/index.html

Here's what I have done, anyone else is free to add suggestions:

- write a "Letter to the Editor" of all the local papers. LeithPetwerks has a form letter on their site that people are free to alterto fit their situation -http://www.leithpetwerks.com/Bunfun/easterletter.html
- call all pet stores in the area, whether they sell bunnies or not,and ask if you can set up a small display to hold flyers (such as theones above).

- go to grocery stores, convenience stores, local restaurants, vetsoffice, or wherever they may have a bulletin board and tack up aflyer or poster.

- if you can get a free or cheap ad in the Classifieds, write up asmall ad to the effect of: "Easter and Bunnies Don't Mix! www. rabbit.org

Hope that explains it all :) A lot of this stuff may be US-related, butthe RSPCA or other organizations in England may have similar campaignsgoing.

Thank you. The RSPCA do have campaigns runningaround easter time. The RSPCA and other organisations refuse to letpeople adopt rabbits around easter time, do any of the shelter in theUS do that? if not i sugest you advise them to as it seems to work forthe RSPCA. I just which small shops and farms would do the same, allthey can think about is the profit of selling rabbits at 10 pounds each(about 20 US dollars, maybe a bit more). Impulse buying is okwhen itsshopping for clothes or peronal gifts but NOT animals.

p.s What do you all think bout fox hunting?

I just moved to the Reading, PA area and I wentto check out my local mall...I pretty much just went there to see thepet store. Well..when I walked up there were about 14-15 babyrabbits there! Most of them were sleeping piled on top ofeach other, I was wondering if the one on the bottom of the pile wasstill breathing! I felt so bad! They couldn't havebeen more than 6 weeks old..maybe 7! There was a little lopthat was binkying naround..but he had eye/nasal discharge, as did manyof the others. I just felt horrible....and there were like,"easter bunny packages" with a cage, litter, etc...

I just stood there and watched as parents and children would go up to the window and it would be like:

child: "ooohh a bunny, I want one, I want a bunny!"

parent: "noo, they are too much work", "maybe next time"...

It was so weird! I wanted to take all of them out of that situation!

The article is supposed to print the Sunday before Easter.

Our local paper ran an excellent article aboutpet rabbits i cut it out and saved it.The rabbits here sell anywherefrom$ 7 to$ 20 and thats usually for pedigreed animals for twenty.thatsat farms .pets stores sell everything $29.99.Our local tractor supplywas giving out flyers with the bunnies they sold.bluebird

Hi All,

I sent an e-mail to our newspaper (circulation - 237,000) and they aregoing to run an article discouraging live Easter bunnies forchildren. I sent them some of the links from thisthread.

They want to interview me for the story!

I'm so glad they agreed to do this!

Laura

Latest posts

Back