Abscesses - a heads up

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarcasm-hime

Reaction score
I thought I might share my experiences so that others might benefit from what I've learned about bunny abscesses.

Apparently abscesses (a cavity containing pus, surrounded by inflamedtissue that is usually the result of a bacterial infection) are not unusual in rabbits, and usually occur in the head area. One of my bunnies developed an abscess behind his right eye last spring, and we were concerned that he would have to have the eye removed as the traditional method of dealing with an abscess is to surgically remove all the infected tissue. This surgery would have been very dangerous--the vet gave him only a 60% chance of survival.

Thankfully my vet is an expert on bunnies and did some research so we had an alternative treatment. I gave Chibi subcutaneous (just under theskin) injections of penicillin every other day, and the abscess cleared up completely and hasn't come back.

So if your bunny has an abscess and surgery would be difficult or dangerous, you have an option. :)

That's helpful to note, Sarcasm-hime.That's very interesting. I'm glad your little one didn't needthe surgery and has a full and complete recovery.

As PamNock has stated many times, which is great advice, one shouldconsult a doctor before administering medications.

-Carolyn

Hi i know what you are going threw my bunnie thatis going in to sugery tomorrow had a abscesses a week ago. the onlyreason she's going in to surgery is cause the person who had her b-4 medidn't take care of her very well and her back teeth are growing wrongso tomorrow moring the vet is going in her mouth and cutting her teethdown and doing other stuff but when my bunny had the abscesses she hadit unsure her chin area and around her nose. i just though i'd tell youi know how you feel and what you mean about the abscesses with yourbunnies.

Latest posts

Back