Shedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygrl2k3

Reaction score
Does anyone have a promblem with shedding? Luvsheds so much. I brush her a few times a week and i can never stopgetting fur out. Just a little bit ago i was covered in fur.Its enough to make a new bunny :D Anysuggestions. She's ok with being brushed so that's not theissue. It's just never ends. Well i better go vacuum up the mess wemade.

Cristy

If my guys are shedding I run one of those stickyrollers over them after I brush them as it helps get loose hair. I alsohave one in my car purse and all around the house

Hi Mygrl2K3,

As you know, it is shedding season, but I've found that the pellets Ifeed my rabbit sometimes have a direct relation to theirshedding. With Blue Seal feed, Tucker never seemed to comeout of shedding, once I switched to Nutreena, it definitely improved,but Heinold Show Formula is what I had the best luck with.

Just be sure she's got plenty of timothy hay if it's that bad to avoidblockage. I'm sure you're already aware of this, but thoughtI'd mention it for others.

-Carolyn

Megan doesn't shed....at all....maybe one or twohairs...that's about it... I guess she's a non-shedding rabbit...lolPeppy on the other hand...you could make a wig out of his sheddings....

I find that when Im cuddling Hazel I end up with amouth of fur! I can only really see that she's shedding fur when imwearing dark clothes.

Siobhan xXx

Megan doesn't even shed on my clothes, not when Ipet her...never... her hair is pretty short too. She has very soft,super shiney silky type hair....

I've read that shedding can be caused or hastenedalongby change in season, change in feed, stress,some particular food stuff, like sunflower seeds, or as a regularroutine function. Some of our buns seem to shedmore frequently and/or copiously than some of our others.

I believe I experienced the same thing as Carolyn did with Blue Sealfeed,in that our buns never seemed to stop shedding, until I switchedto Purina Advanced Show Formula(blue bag).

Buck

batman only sheds when hesstressed (i.e.:his first few times to the vet or when i try to get hisharness on him)...im waiting for him to lose his winter coat, but hehasnt started yet.

She has longer fur and i noticed that she has shedmore than my other bunny from day one but this is really bad.She has alpha grass. But from reading i have read that Timothy hay isbetter for her. Do i just do a switch or mixit? Nothing that i know can be causing her stressand i havent changed her food at all. I will just keep brushing her andhopefuly it will end soon.

Cristy

Hi MyGrl2K3,

I would definitely switch over from Alfalfa to Timothy Hay. Alfalfa ishigh in calories, calcium, and protein. A good rabbit pellet willprovide those needs.

You don't have to wean them into Timothy Hay from other grasses. You can just start giving them to her without any harm.

It's great extra fiber as it travels through the rabbit's system andknocks out fur balls; it's also good for the rabbit's teeth as chewingit keeps them in shape. Besides, most rabbits go crazy over it.

Just make sure that you don't put it on the floor of the cage becauseif a rabbit urinates on it, it may eat it and could get sick. Hay racksare a wonderful thing.

-Carolyn

It is my understanding that most rabbits shed in apattern, with the most copious shedding occurring along the rump andbutt, then the back and shoulder area, moving down along eachside....for what that is worth.

Buck

Ok i will get her some Timothy hay soon. She has arack that it goes in. I have noticed some parts of her furlooks thinner. I think the bottom half has shed more. But it's tooearly to really think. :)

Cristy

My poor little Jersey Woolie an old woman rescued3 months ago was shedding real bad. A dear volunteer said she wanted togroom her and now she looks like a moth ate her hair. What can I do forher. Do they shed in giant clumps? I never had one. Did we just thewring type of brush? I have a little slicker brush I use. She is actingembarassed

Some may shed in giant clumps, but if she'srescued, there is always the possibility she's stressed. That causeshair loss in a lot of animals. I'm assuming age may contribute to it,also. She should shed evenly in the end when she's all done shedding.Mocha has long strangley hair on his belly from winter and his shortsummer coat in top where he has shed outalready.

Maybe someone else has an idea, I don't know much about Jersey Woolies.

Latest posts

Back