Very Worried

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharon

Reaction score
I have a 2 year-old female dwarf lop called Fudge who refuses to eat hay or grass and is suffering from dental problems.

So far, she has had two procedures to file her cheek teeth and I amgetting increasingly worried about the stress this causestoher (and me).

I have tried her on Timothy Hay, fresh grass, hay soaked in applejuice, but she refuses to eat it! She will only eat pelletsand some vegetables.

This is my first time using a forum, but I'm hoping someone will beable to offer some advice - my vet simply suggested that I keep tryingwith her.

Please can anyonehelp.Fudge's bunnycompanion (Smudge) has no problems eating hay or just about anythingelse ( including her hutch)

Thanks

I would start supplementing her diet with alittle Nutri Cal if she is loosing weight. The pellets andvegetables are an adequate diet and it will not adversely affect herhealth if she refuses to eat hay. The dental problems aremost likely due to a genetic predisposition, and are not diet relatedif she has been on a pelleted diet.

Pam

Hi Sharon welcome to the forum :).

Pam is a real rabbit expert with a ton of knowledge so she'll be right in what she says.

How often does Fudge have to have her teeth filed?I canimagine you both find it really stressful but does she eat normallyonce it's been done? If she does then not to worry too much, just keeptrying with the hay and grass every so often I'd guess.

If she isn't eating then Pam's suggestion of Nutri Cal may help as it's very nutricious and can help stimulate appetite.

I wish you the best of luck with her and let us know how she is. Thishas to be the best place for rabbit sharing knowledge I can imagine,and it's friendly too :).

Kate

Does she have wood chews? and things like basketsor mats to chew? Those things can help her teeth, but as pamsaid, it's most likely due to the way they are growing in and not howshe's eating.

Chew Biscuits for rabbits are good for wearing their teeth down. Also carrot sticks which are like chew biscuits.

Ed

I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and support - much appreciated.

Fudge is still under the weather, but she has been eating somebroccoli, although the hay, pellets and alfalfa blocks remain untouched.

Both Fudge and Smudge now have new wood blocks for wearing their teeth,and I'm on the look out for nutri-cal stockists in the UK as well asbiscuit chews.

Thanks again everyone.This is a great site, and I'll be visiting it regularly.

Latest posts

Back