Ferrets, feed thereof

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ferrets are pretty easy to catch. Juststart off small, like a bathroom. Oh and keep in mind,kitchens aren't the greatest rooms to let them in because they cancrawl under the fridge and stove. Rule of toremember: If the ferrets face fits, so does the rest of him!

Bathrooms are good places to start too because if the "go" it will be easier to clean up than on carpet.

Ferrets also like to burrow and take naps after a bit of runningaround. Alot of times too when they are getting a littletired you will see them lay flat. Just observe how long he islaying down or how often. If it is for a little while oroften, I would suggest putting him back into the cage. I useto have to "fish" mine out of my couch.

If you aren't aware, when ferrets are happy, they cackle. Sodon't worry if they make funky noises. If you end up handlinghim a lot and he bites you, he is trying to tell you a fewthings: Eitherlet me down, your hurtingme. Also watch where you step/walk. They like torun under you alot.

Atleast an hour a day is needed outside the cage. More always equals better.

Let us know if you end up keeping him:D

This is all very interesting information. My husband was considering a ferret before we adopted Sherman.

He backed off a little though when he was told that they are greatescape artists. He felt that he was just too old to bechasing ferrets! lol!

In the past, a couple of my coworkers have owned ferrets and they lovedthem like they were their own children. They had manywonderful stories to tell of their exploits and adventures. Acommon theme was the "disappearance" of keys--usually at an inopportunetime!

I will be following this thread closely.

This thread has been very interesting. Ihave never had a ferret or the desire to own one, but I have enjoyedreading about them. Their diet seems interesting. Ienjoyed the pictures of the ferret in the stuffed animals.Yes, we do learn something every day! One thing is for sureBuck. If your rabbits are like mine and that ferret is aroundlong, there is going to be some jealousy going on! ;) My 2rabbits get jealous of each other if I pay attention to one more thanthe other! Thanks for the good reading.Beckie

One change, LOL, Calbert attacked me this morningwhen I went to clean his cage. He often grumbles and will pawa little, this morning he really really mouthed me and boxed atme....after holding Ferret earlier. Iwondered why, 'til wifey reminded me where I had been earlier.

Had ferret lose in bathroom and held it for a while. Intruth, I worry because it doesn't seem all that active, and is nowdosing in the yard,out back. It has eaten some more peanutbutter and I will buy it some ferret food. "Owners" have yet to returnfrom funeral. It was Her father-in-law's, apparently, so itis major family. I hope this bugger holds out until theyreturn. I am getting worried.

Buck

I wanted to make sure I was giving you the rightadvice.So I called my vet and two other ferrret savvy vets in my area.If the ferret isn't eating any of the food your giving it,You can go ahead and continue giving it peanut butter.If it eatsnothing else than let it fill up the peanut butter.Theyseemed to agree that it wasn't the greatest but it was better thannothing.

As nice as you and Mrs.Buck are ,he's probably missing his family. Howdid he act when you had him in the bathroom? Did he play at all? Mostferrrets will sleep away the day in between play times.

Let us know how it's going.

Tina

He is currently napping outside in his cage, asare all the outside buns. He did eat some peanut butter andwe have procured some dry ferret food. Would you recommendmixing dry with wet kitten food("savory salmon"), or simply trying thedry first?

When loose in the bathroom, he pitter pattered around a bit, nothingenergetic. He let me hold him, even cosying up at one point,then it seemed he "looked foward" to getting back in the cage, so I didput him back in.

His stool has been runny, which I'm sure is not a good sign, but hisnapping peacefully. Are they more active during eveninghours, a la` weasels, or are they not?

Buck

I just want to say that I think what you are doing is so incredibly sweet and awesome.

As to feeding the little guy, I would feed him just the dry food. Most ferret owners usually feed a dry food.

We use nutra-cal for our bunns, they have the same type of product forferrets. It's made by Marshall also. It's called Ferretvite. It willstimulate his appetite and contains vitamins.

As for the runny poop, it's probably the peanut butter and stress. Justmake sure you keep the little one drinking. I know you are.

Ferrets generally sleep 80% of the day. All five of mine would wake upto eat,drink,poop and when I let them out to play, or we went forwalks. The rest of the time they spent sleeping or resting. I would goahead and leave him in the cage for the rest of the day. Unless he letsyou know he wants to be let out.

Your are doing a great job. He is very lucky he found you.

If I can help you at all, let me know ok. You can PM me, I'll be here all day.

Tina

I agree, you are truely doing a great job and his owners will be greatful to you as well.

I do not suggest mixing the dry food with wet cat food. Feedit dryfood. Also try fruits and veggies. No breador nuts though (I don't remember why but I remember reading not to feedthese items to them).

Poo... if his poo is black and tar like, or bloody or coming out likeribbon,take him to a vet cause something is wronginternally. As for the "runs", it may be the diet orstress. Ferrets are effected by stress very easily.Normal ferret poo is soft. Nothing like bunny poo.(lol) Also ferrets can get the flu from humans too.So if anyone is sick, I would keep the ferret away.

If the ferret isn't drinking much them make the ferret foodwet.Make it until it is like Oatmealconsistency. Also are you supplying tap water or bottledwater? Ferrets tend to be somewhat picky of theirwater.

I don't know how much you may be willing to spend ontheferret, but if he isn't eating much you can get him a vitaminsupplement. Marshalls maked one called Furo-vite.This can help maintain his health some until the owners show or callyou.

Just so you are aware as well, ferrets sleep on average 18-20 hours aday. So if he isn't super active in his cage, don't worry somuch. But while out of his cage, he should be somewhatcurious of his new surroundings. I don't know how the weatheris there but try letting him play in the tub with some water.Ferrets do like to swim. Not all ferrets do, but it is wortha try. Alsomost ferrets are most playful at dawn ordusk. So my suggestion would be to let him out after work ordinner and see if you see any difference.:)

I also remember you reading the the ferret is now outside....Please make sure that he is getting plenty of shade too. Myex boyfriend lost his ferret due to the heat. His roomie putthe ferret cage outside with no shade in the summer and he was founddead.:(

I hope that this info I am providing is helpful. I so wish I could have ferrets again.

Hello Buck

Doing a good job there.How is he/she?.

It's going to be hard because the little fellow don'tknow properly, but there could be another reason he is not eating he'steeth.

Is he friendly enough to try and open he's mouth and look.

I would also go with feeding dry ferret food not wet asin hot weather it can spoil plus flies can get at it,also the vitamin supplement Furo-vite I useit on mine over here.

Hope all is OK
Take care
Lynn xxx

Pleased to report he is eating anddrinking. I am cogniznant of the sun, as we have outsiderabbits, as well. His poops are less watery and of aconsistency more like I would expect.

He, I say he, because I have no clue of the sex, is a gentleanimal. There is no sign of aggression from him atall. I have no way of telling his relative age, but he can'tbe any longer a foot or so in length. Pink nose, and ratherreddish eyes, but I've seen that effect on brown eyed buns whose eyesare rimmed with pinkish lids...makes eyes appear red. Sharpteeth and little sharp nails, that appear almost like thetalons of a griffin or dragon in mythology.

Poops are yellowish brown and while the cage was on our picnic table,the little bugger emitted a loud, flatulent sound, accompanied by aplethora of ecretory substances...crapped all over the table!LOL

He shows no obvious stresss, but I know he is probably not getting theexercise he needs, for fear if he were to really get loose, I mightnot be able to catch him again. He doesn't try toescape terribly much when I open the door to the Havaheart trap he iscurrently housed in. It's about 2' long, and the door isextra difficult to open, for it is, afterall, atrap. It functions well as his temporary homebecause the wire is a relatively tight weave to preclude escape by themany animal types it might be expected to trap.

I do hope his "owners" return soon. Our Plan B person iscurrently away for two weeks, so we would have to come up with a Plan C.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help. Anything offered is seriously considered.

Buck

I am so happy that he is doing better.

If you have a spare corner pan and if it will fit, I say put it inthere. I am still laughing about this bodily functions!

I hope that you will let him out more soon. I promise itwon't be the hardest thing to catch :D Try a bedroomnext. Or even a small portion of the yard.

About the sex of a ferret. You can tell on a boy.Lay him on his back like you are rocking a baby. and if you see alittle wee wee then its a boy. Hope that helps

Bump for Cirrustwl,

Perhaps you can PM CutieonTwo or ElfMommy about ferret forums?

Our other member is Ryan. He's done a lot of research on them.

-Carolyn

I had five ferrets years ago, they canbe bad little things! One would bite anyone who walked by the sofa onthe back of the ankle! Ouch! One would 'scream' if any of the otherferrets came within one foot of her. They hid all sorts of stuff,although mainly cat food under my area rugs.

We fed ours Iams high protein cat food and fresh fruit/veggies.

I live in NJ too, and we had a weasel type animal sneaking around theyard for months, prowling around my fish pond.We set out ahave-a-heart trap and it left! I wanted to know if it wasapet! We were never able to get close enough to find out ifit was a black ferret, or a mink possibly?

Anyhow, there were times when I thought several of them were sick,because they can go into such a deep sleep you can not wake them itseems! They love to lay in a homemade hammock (bandanna) forhours belly up andteeth exposed.

One warning if anyone in your family has an easy chair/recliner. Mysister had an awful accident with her ferret with her husbandschair.As many have mentioned they can and will go in whereverthey fit.

I was just wondering... what happened to theferret, Buck? There's not a post at the end that says whatyour Plan C was! :) I didn't see this postoriginally, so now I'm interested...

Ang xx

Buck bumped this for me when I first joined theforum and was looking for a good ferret forum. This onereally made me smile. :D Buck looked out for anyanimal that came his way.

Jen

Latest posts

Back