Pam Nock

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pam,

I do believe it's always been there. It sounds Very Similarto what you describe. Actually, it sounds exactly like that,especially how you described the fur on top of it, just not as big as aquarter and the area isn't growing. Since the hair on theoutside top of the ears isn't thick anyway, it's something I'vequestioned myself in being too paranoid over.

-Carolyn

I wish I could meet you guys someday, I'm in Canada though so it will probably never happen :(

You really clean his cage everyday?? Are you supposed to cuz I cleanMegan's like once a week (and you know the way she poops lol). Is thatbad for her? It's just so pointless to me the way you clean it then 30minutes later it looks like it did BEFORE you cleaned it. So I only doit once every week. Good news though, after giving her the Timothy Hay,for some reason she seems to be pooping less! So there's not that bigof a mess on the floor anymore, which my mom is happy about. We alsosprayed Apple Lysol on the carpet just to test something, and where wesprayed it, she doesn't poop anymore... she poops AROUND the spotlol... which is weird but it worked, so maybe we'll try spraying allthe carpet..... Anyway, how's everyones little bunnies today? Megans inher cage staring at the wall....:)

Hi MyBunnyLovesMe,

Don't be so certain that our paths may never cross. Strangerthings have happened. If not this time around, perhaps thenext time. You never know!! Would've sent you aninvitation just to feel a part of it too, but didn't have youraddress. As I said, you'll all be in our thoughts that day.

It's not necessary to clean the rabbit's cage every day. I'm sure once a week is just fine.

I'm thrilled to hear that her pooping seems more undercontrol. Woo Hoo!! Tucker's great today, thanks forasking. He was a less mischievous last night than the nightbefore, Thank God! He was Big Trouble the night beforelast.

-Carolyn

Aww, what was the bad bun up to this time?? 2nights ago my bun saw a bug on the floor, and she started stalkingit...lol, then she killed it.... weird... lol. What was little Tuckerup to?

Hi MyBunnyLovesMe,

He was:

1) Chewing things he shouldn't've been chewing

2) Hiding on me only to dash in to parts of the apt. he shouldn't be in and then not coming when I called him.

3) Looking straight at me and pooping outside his litterbox

4) Throwing his hay rack when he was through and making a scene by continuing to toss it around until I refilled it.

And he just kept repeating the behaviors above without any regard to getting in trouble the whole night.

Too funny that your baby is stalking bugs. She's so tough! ;)

-Carolyn

lol yeah I was like "eew a bug Maggie!" and shekilled it... do you think bunnies can actually hear what we're saying?She never comes if I call her, or if I tell her no. So I dunno, maybeshe just likes to ignore everyone lol. I hope she's not deaf. Mybrother had a drumset when we first got her that was pretty loud, plusall the loud music in our house.... it used to scare the crap outtaher, now she doesn't really respond to anything, The only thing sheseems to respond to when she'd bad I'll clap really loud andsay no, she kinda twitches her ears, then goes back to being bad... soI'm not sure anymore...

Greetings Folks,

Michelle: I do know that Tucker has selective hearing depending uponwhether he agrees with what I'm saying or will shake his head in anattempt to shake my nagging from his brain. Rabbits ears are verysensitive to sound from everything I've picked up. Not sure exactlywhat their hearing level is compared to us, but in a lot of materialsI've read and seen just with Tucker, loud noises not only scare thembut can hurt/damage their hearing.

PamNock and Robbie: UPDATE on the 'mites' or whatever this condition ishe's got. I picked up Tinactin, antifungal absorbent powder, Listerine,and Vitamin E oil. Came home, only applied the E oil, and went to theanimal hospital store and picked up some Ivermectin. Was heading out ofthe store and Pam's advice to check with the doctor for dosage amountstuck in my head, so I went in. Spoke to the doctor and the nurse therethat has rabbits and they thought that the Ivermectin 1.87% is toostrong of a dosage for a rabbit and said that it could be lethal if Iwas to give him too much. They took that back and gave me Eradimite.I'm to apply it for 3 weeks and if the white stuff is still there, I'mto bring him in for a visit and I'd have a culture done as Pamsuggested. I'll definitely apply the Vitamin E oil as well because itcan't hurt.

Thanks so much for your concern.

-Carolyn

Whew Caroloyn! Sounds like you had a busy day!

I should have been more specific on the Ivermectin that Iuse. It's the 1% Ivomec for Swine at 1/10 of a cc per every 5pounds of body weight (per our vet's recommendation). I havealso used the paste wormer, however an accurate measurement is not aseasily obtained. Of course, always consult with the vet beforemedicating :)

The Ivomec is a good routine medication for older rabbits, who are moreprone to the effects of E. Cuniculi, however, some rabbits aresensitive to the medication.

I know you'll keep us updated -- I'd sure like to know what's going on.

Pam

Hi Pam!

I won't give Tucker medication before checking it with a doctor aftertoday. That came too close for comfort because I would've used the1.87% because it was the smallest dosage they had. I'm taking a bigsigh of relief, believe me. *Phew* The 1 cc to 1/10 and all that jazz,I'd just as soon pay for a vet visit and have someone show me ratherthan try to figure that out. I have yet to get a scale to truly knowTucker's weight, so I wouldn't trust myself. I'm going to get to thebottom of this thing because it's bugging me. (I'm sure everyone on theboard will be glad when I do because you're tired of hearing about it.)I just have to know what it is. Tucker doesn't seem affected by it, butmost rabbits don't when something's bothering them.

Wanta know something cool? The hospital didn't say "We'll have to seehim first before we can tell you what to do." They took the time tolisten to me and answer my questions, then handed me the medication,and we settled the price difference. Pretty cool, I thought.

Curious as to if you've ever heard of this Eradimite before? The twoactive ingredients are 0.15% of Pyrethrins, and 1.50% Pieronyl butxide.The inert ingredients make up of 98.35%. It's claim to fame is 'earmite treatment for dogs, puppies, cats, kittens, and rabbits', but italso removes ear wax.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Curious as to if you've ever heard of this Eradimite before? I neverhave. The two active ingredients are 0.15% of Pyrethrins, and 1.50%Pieronyl butxide. The inert ingredients make up of 98.35%. It's claimto fame is 'ear mite treatment for dogs, puppies, cats, kittens, andrabbits', but it also removes ear wax.

-Carolyn

When we had show horses, I used a product similar to Eradimite to cleantheir ears : ) Some animals are sensitiveto Pyrethrins, so just watch the area for any sign of swelling orTucker's eyes running. Just use a tiny amount. Ifthe cause is mites, the Pyrethrin should eradicate them.

The fact that you *can't* easily scrape the flake off with your fingeris nagging at the back of my brain. In the case of ear mites,the skin flakes off rather easily.

Pam

Okay Pam...

Will Do! :)

Thank You! :dude:

That's what bothers me too, I can't scrape it off. It's the strangestthing. It's not dandruff, I swear. I'll be shocked if it's mitesbecause you and the couple I bought Tucker from both have had successwith the VetRx on ear mites. Jeanne and Al Vaill are in theirretirement years and have raised rabbits for a very long time. Lastfall at the Goshen Bunny Show, Al told me they had about 180 rabbits atthat time. They aren't out to make a buck, pardon the pun. They'llhonestly tell you what works and what doesn't. The VetRx should'veclogged the mites pores and suffocated them without a problem. Thewhite dander/dandruff is still there. No matter how I rub or scratch abit to see if I can remove it, it doesn't move. God, I've thought ofeverything I can think of ...even gray hair, but it's not that. I'vebeen all over the net looking for skin issues on rabbits and none of itlooks similar. Weird, but I'll do this so I can rule out the simplestsolution first.

Thanks for listening.

-Carolyn

It sounds like it may just be an area of skin lacking pigment.

You may want to look into information on "vitiligo".

Pam

The ear looks better today. It now seems to have flaked off and thecolor is back. I guess it was mites, or the Vitamin E. We're goin inthe right direction!

I just have to say, Tucker's been a Champ about letting me check outthat ear. Each time, I'd expect to have to talk him into letting melook at him, but when I go up to him and touch the ear, he hunkers downand lets me have at it for a few minutes and when I'm done, he shakeshis ears. He's such a good baby, and he just shook his booty at me andjumped in his litterbox.

:cool:

(Didn't take long for him to misbehave. He's already out of the box and he wasn't done going.)

-Carolyn

Should I give him the medicine again today or let it be and treat it with the Vitamin E?

It looks great.

I would just go with the vitamin E. Ialways advise caution with any mite medications as the rabbit candevelop a sensitivity to them. If it was mites, they wouldhave now been clearly exposed with the removal of the skin flake, so Idon't see further need at this time to medicate. If it isn'tmites, then application of more mite medication will just be a waste.

Keep an eye on it and see how things go from here :)

Pam

That's interesting, Pam, because there wasn't astitch of evidence of mites.? Thank you for your advice.? I shallfollow it and only use the E.? I'm glad I asked.? I didn't thinkmedicating him unless absolutely needing to would be good for hisimmune system.? Thanks A Lot!

:dude:

Got the Nutri-Cal today!? I'm psyched I have it for?an emergency.? HopeI never use it, but it's comforting to know it's there if I need it.???

?

Hi Pam!

Tucker's ear's as good as new! You'd never know there was a thing wrong. :D

YAY!!

xo,
-Carolyn

It's a great day all-around :) Today I received the good news that I'm now an official ARBA judge -- I'm so excited!

Pam

Congratulations to Carolyn for curing her Buns ear! and to Pam for become a judge!! Way to go guys!

Latest posts

Back