does my rabbit need a bed??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phx_punk_girl

Reaction score
i was wondering if my rabbit needs some beddinglike a towel or straw or hay to sleep on. right now she just lays onthe bottom of the cage. its got a drop through bottom, so shes notlaying in poop or anything, but i wonder if theres anything more cozyfor her then the cold metal.

thanks!!!!

If it's a drop bottom cage, yes put a towel forher to sleep on since the wire probably gets a little harsh afterawhile! :) My buns cage is a plastic flat bottom, so she just sleeps onthe plastic...

phx_punk_girl wrote:
i was wondering if my rabbit needs some bedding like a towelor straw or hay to sleep on. right now she just lays on the bottom ofthe cage. its got a drop through bottom, so shes not laying in poop oranything, but i wonder if theres anything more cozy for her then thecold metal.

thanks
I prefur hay or something that i feel safe with them chewing, like maybe a natural grass mat.

However there are some who prefur the metal over bedding, I have a boywho could sleep on anything he desires but he chooses to lay his bodydown on the metal flooring and uses a peice of wood as a pillow. I toldhim it looks rather un comfortable, but every thing I offerhim is tossed aside. But of course I also have those who forexample one such girl has a wooden cabin stuffed with hay and she makesthe most cozy bed in it. It seems when thy hay hold the shapeof her body nestled into it she finds it perfect :)

Yeah, agree with Gabby. Depends upon thebun(s). I pack the sleeping area of our hutches with hay, butthe buns prefer to sleep outside, on the wire. I guess if theweather were really terrible they might stay enclosed, but when it isthat bad, I install plexiglas "storm windows" in the screen portion ofthe hutch, and that is where they remain.

Buck

As you can see that he has a plastic containterfor him to sit in, actally it is a little box. Yes, he istrainined to use the little box so I take him inside. Since he was ingin his "hutch house" though I had to buy two more containers to slideinside the 1st level of his "hucth house" and the bottom. I also builda porch for him. As you can see in the pic.

I have towels on the bottom of some and littlecardborad boxes they like to sleep in. Bugaboo has a little cat bed sheloves to sleep in. One of mine make a thicket by pulling hay overhimself to sleep and by morning eats his way out

Towels work for some buns but not all. Flospy eatmy towels. You should have solid flooring in your rabbits huctchbecuase bunnies eat their feeces. You should make sure that they havesomentake of them too. Bunnie's feeces have some nutrients that theymissed the first time through.

Pomlover1361 wrote:
Towels work for some buns but not all. Flospy eat my towels.You should have solid flooring in your rabbits huctch becuase bunnieseat their feeces. You should make sure that they have somentake of themtoo. Bunnie's feeces have some nutrients that they missed the firsttime through.
the special ones are generally takendirectly from the butt as they are made. "generally" it'sonly the very lazy or fat who make them on the floor first and then eatthem:)

It's funny I've had Daisy and Buster for almost ayear now and it's only on since joing this forum that I realised theyeat their feeces! They probably do it like you said Gabby so thats whyI musnt have noticed:D

My rabbitsbed hasshavings underneathandthen Iput a blanket of hay on top as they also like to chewthrough anything like towels.

vickiejcampbell wrote:
It's funny I've had Daisy and Buster for almost a year nowand it's only on since joing this forum that I realised they eat theirfeeces! They probably do it like you said Gabby so thats why I musnthave noticed:D

My rabbitsbed hasshavings underneathandthen Iput a blanket of hay on top as they also like to chewthrough anything like towels.
many people don't realize, and then once they do many are grossed out.The things some people don't realize even ones who have had rabbits foryears as times can be quite funny but in some cases alarming.

I'm sure before you realized what they were doing if you ever caughtthem in the act you just figured they were claning their bum like a catwould, who wouldn't assume that;)

All rabbits should or they have a more likilychance of getting sick. No Flopsy is not very lazy. He is in his run 6hours a days while I work and then 2 hours I put him on my porch, sothat he can wear his toenails down. (on the concrete)

phx_punk_girl wrote:
i was wondering if my rabbit needs some bedding like a towelor straw or hay to sleep on. right now she just lays on the bottom ofthe cage. its got a drop through bottom, so shes not laying in poop oranything, but i wonder if theres anything more cozy for her then thecold metal.

thanks!!!!

Hi

This is a picture of Pepper in his bed.He loves it.It ishttp://webpages.charter.net/jbh1997/pepperislooking

Gabby wrote:
Pomlover1361 wrote:
Towelswork for some buns but not all. Flospy eat my towels. You should havesolid flooring in your rabbits huctch becuase bunnies eat their feeces.You should make sure that they have somentake of them too. Bunnie'sfeeces have some nutrients that they missed the first timethrough.
the special ones are generally taken directlyfrom the butt as they are made. "generally" it's only thevery lazy or fat who make them on the floor first and then eatthem:)
Oh ok. I just finally understood what you were telling me. Yes they dogenerally that. But you should still have a towel just incase they drop a few:D

--------------------------

Pepper is very cute

Bunnymommy wrote:
Ohhhhhhh .... look at Pepper!

What a sweetie!!! :D
Thank-you:DHow is your Sherman? For a while I wasgetting you mixed up with MyBunnyLovesme(Michelle).thinking she was theone who had Sherman,but she's the one that has Megan.Sorry,that I hadyou mixed up with her.By the way do you know if she's staying on thisforum?I haven't seen any posts from her.

Pepper wrote:
Bunnymommy wrote:
Ohhhhhhh .... look at Pepper!

What a sweetie!!! :D
Thank-you:DHow is your Sherman? For a while I wasgetting you mixed up with MyBunnyLovesme(Michelle).thinking she was theone who had Sherman,but she's the one that has Megan.Sorry,that I hadyou mixed up with her.By the way do you know if she's staying on thisforum?I haven't seen any posts from her.
Bunnymommy never mindthat question, I did see a post from MyBunnyLovesme.Thank-you

Latest posts

Back