Sleeping patterns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CML54

Reaction score
Do rabbits close their eyes when they sleep?I have never seen my rabbit with it's eyes shut. What are their sleeppatterns?

Hi CML54,

When my rabbit was little, he never slept with his eyes closed. Theywere always half open, with his pupils rolled up when I looked closelyat him. His pupils would roll down and he'd become I aware I was there,hence waking him up.

Rabbits sleep during the day and are most active at dawn and dusk. Assomeone said on this forum just about a week ago, they take catnaps andare easily awakened by any sound.

My rabbit's now 2.5 years old and he'll close his eyes and put his headdown to sleep. I'd say for the first year, I never saw him sleep. I,too, was quite concerned, but rest assured, your rabbit will get thesleep s/he needs.

-Carolyn

Rabbits are crepuscular, which meansthat they are most active at dawn and dusk. They do indeedsleep with their eyes closed and can go through very deep sleep cycles,where they may even be hard to awaken. Studies have shownthat rabbits sleep an average of 8 hours per day, which most oftenconsists of short, light naps that best suit the rabbit in the wild tobe alert for predators.

Pamela Nock ~ ARBA Registrar

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock

pamnock wrote:
Rabbits are crepuscular, which means thatthey are most active at dawn and dusk. They do indeed sleepwith their eyes closed and can go through very deep sleep cycles, wherethey may even be hard to awaken. Studies have shown thatrabbits sleep an average of 8 hours per day, which most often consistsof short, light naps that best suit the rabbit in the wild to be alertfor predators.

Pamela Nock ~ ARBA Registrar

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock

also do you know can you change their sleeping plans so he sleeps on anight,because i know they sleep though the day and i wanted 2 housetrain my new dwarf so he can stay in my bedroom :S

my netherland dwarf sleeps in my room, he hasfree range of my room when i am there and if he gets tired he finds adark corner (usually under my desk, close to me) to take a nap beforerunning around again. i put him in his cage at night and he seems happyenough chilling out in there till the morning. im sure if you have urbunny in your room then soon he will soon get used to the new noisesetc and be perfectly fine

good luck :)

My bunny always sleeps with his eyesopen. His eyes might look a little smaller when he's asleepthough. When I first got him I thought he never slept!

Latest posts

Back