Allergies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dajeti2

Reaction score
I took Apollo & Athena to the vet today.They have been sneezing alot. They have been the picture of perfecthealth. Well, the vet examined them and drew blood for testing. Heseems convinced that they have allergies, possibly a dust allergry. Ihave to bring them back in a week. The vet said we'll discuss treatmentthen, if any.

What do they do for allergies?

My son has numerous medical conditions with allergies and asthma amongthem. I know for him we had to do a whole bunch of stuff to the house.Filters everywhere you can imagine, dusting everyday, no strongchemical cleaners, no room deodorizers. Oh and I ordered an airpurifier today. I thought it will help with my son and maybe it willhelp with my sneezing babies.

I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed. Sorry I ran on.

Tina

I have an asthmatic husband and 2 buns. We haveair filters around use the real expensive ones in our airconditioner. If hay is dusty mist it down. They havereactions to strong smells and diffenetly the pollen count outside. Youwould treat them the same as for your son

Hi dajeti2,

When I had gone to get tested for allergy shots for a bad cough, thedoctor had the test done on my back, I had to wait for 5 minutes andwhen he came in the room, he took a look at my back and said, "WOW!!"This is Not something you want to hear from your doctor!

He said I have 'severe allergies' to a lot of things: grasses,(including timothy hay, of course), mold, dust, trees, and manyanimals, rabbits included.

Tucker used to sneeze, not often, but enough to catch my attention. Itseemed like dust sneezes to me. There was no discharge and it wasrandom and only a few. I suspect he had allergies too. Why not? We allhave sinuses and they can get irritations and inflammations as well,no? Some things are not just for humans.

Like Bunty, I purchased an air purifier. My allergies are not gone,even though I'm still waiting for the shots to kick in (6 months), butI'm definitely not sneezing since I purchased it and neither is Tucker.A friend of mine told me they had purchased the same air purifier fortheir father for his asthma and it really helped his breathing.

The air purifier I have doesn't have filters. You pull out the unit andyou wipe down the blades. I've been cleaning the blades every day or 2tops. It gets so dirty right now with the pollen flying around; I can'tbelieve how much is in the air. It was pricey, but worth every penny.

Allergy shots and medication has helped me; the air purifier has definitely helped Tucker, I'm certain of it.

I'm not trying to sell you an air purifier, I just wanted to let youknow that yes I do think they can have allergies, but you have to becareful not to confuse it with 'the sniffles' of course, which I'm sureyou're well aware. You might want to call an animal hospital and askone of the vet techs if they do get allergies and how they treat them.
:)

By all means, keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Thank you so much. I called around and asked acouple vets thier opinions on allergies. They all agreed with my vet.They said they could refer me to 2 people who's rabbits have allergies.They said you treat rabbit allergies the same way you would for ahumans. They suggested that I change from a food bowl to a feeder thatfilters out the fines. They also said to go ahead and try a hay rack.

Carolyn, I wasn't worried about you trying to sell me something. Ivalue your opinion. As it turns out I did order an air purifier. Itshould be here next week. We'll see how it does.

From the bottom of my heart thank you both!

Tina

Also change the filer inyour house a/c heatingunits to one that is for alloergens. That will help also. Ihad to do the shot things when I had my horse and still get them forpoison. It is worth it though

Thank you Bunty. I will definitely try and getthat filter thisweekend.

If you can think of anything I am issing or that you think will help, I would really appreciate it.

I am just so relieved that's all it is. I was so worried.

Thank you Bunty and Carolyn! You are awesome!

Tina

Be sure to read BunnyMommy's last post aboutSherman and allergies in the thread entitled "Lessons I'velearned...." WhatIthoughtcouldbe Pasteurella turned out to be allergies.

-Carolyn

Carolyn, Thanks so much.

I did read it. I've noticed that the few things I've done already havehelped. Not on sneeze so far today. I've been screening their food outon the porch to help cut down on the dust. Same with their hay.

I found some feeders online that are made for large breeds and I ordered two.

I have learned so much from you and everyone else here. I probably need to reply more often but I do try and read all the posts.

My mom used to always tell us " you learn something new everyday". Since coming here I learn ALOT of somethings everyday LOL.

Tina

Me too. Got the bloodwork back on the buns and itwas allergies not pasterella. Vet told me run the sweeper more ha hashe knows that is my husbands job. I also think it is because we gothay from a place we never did before and it is quite dusty with sticksin it. They seem to like that course stuff but our reg place will havehay this weekend. I buy it by the bale from a horse farm

Unfortunately, I'm sort of stuck with the hay Ihave for awhile. Both of mine like the courser stuff too. I vacummeddownstairs while the bunns were ustairs and emptied it outside. I guessit's a bit extremelol butnothings to good for my babies.

I want to thank you so much for all your help. I didn't realize howstressed out Irealized I was listening for sneezes and therewere none. A huge weight has been lifted. I have to wait until Mondayfor the vet to give them the all clear but Ireally believethat was the problem.

Thank you,thank you,thank you

Tina

Hey, dajeti2, we're all learning together.

I'm sure that your buns appreciate all the love, care, and concern thatyou're giving them. I know that it's a relief toyou that their symptoms have been relieved by just the vacuuming.

I tell you, these little furbabies can sometimes keep us "hopping" more than human babies! lol!

I think I was more worried about my fur babies. Atleast my son can tell me what's wrong. I read alot about snuffles. Sowhen they started sneezing more I must admit-I really freaked out. Iwas preparing for the worst but praying for the best.

You all have been so supportive and understanding. I wish there was away to express my extreme gatitude. Apollo & Athena thank youtoo. They don't have their "crazy mom" sticking her head in their cageevery two minutes lol.

Tina

Yes, dajeti, the idea of "snuffles" or Pasturellawas why I started getting so anxious when Sherman started sneezing, soI certainly understand how you were feeling. I stronglybelieve that in terms of bunny care that it's better to be safe thansorry.

Maybe we should have a chapter of AARA ( Asthmaticand Allergic Rabbits of America) haha. It was such a relief to hearfrom Bonnie. I would hear a sneeze at night and try to findout who did it. I never had kids but my grandma said youalways had a sixth sense about your kids when they are sleeping I guessthis applies to my furry ones

BunnyMommy,I definitely have a betterunderstanding of what you went through with poor little Sherman. I wasso excited to hear he's fine. My son was so relieved he cried. I thinkwhen it comes to my babies I won't be taking a wait and see attitude.I'm going to follow my instincts.

Bunty, thatis to funny. I would be curious to see just how bunns there are though.Very cute idea.

Tina

Oh, dajeti, you and your son are soprecious. Thank you so much for sending positive thoughtsSherman's way. We really appreciate that.

Your son sounds like a jewel. To have such a compassionate and open heart is a wonderful thing.

Latest posts

Back