Hey! ***NEWBY***

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnygirl

Reaction score
Hi everyone!:) I just bought awhite rabbit from some people that were selling them outside of astore! I named her (the people told me she was a girl) Tiki.I don't really know why I thought of that but I did!:? So I went to WalMart and got pellets, a water bottle, and this little stuffed bunny toyto put in the cage. I got the cage from a friend that used to have abunny. The cage is kinda on the small side but it will work for now cuzthe bunny is still pretty small. What else to bunnies eat? How oftenshould I feed her? I don't know how old she is, but she is about thesize of my hand cupped. She is SOO CUTE!! I already love her SOO much!:DWell anyway please help me out! I am really excited aboutthis!

Pellets and water are a good start. Make sure tobuy her Timothy Hay, as it cleans out her digestive system and will getrid of any hairballs that would clog up her stomach. Its 12am here, soI'm afraid I'm really too sleepy to say much. Sounds like you got mostthings you need. Some other members will surely help you out.

~*Michelle, Megan, Peppy & Rahoon*~

I don't mean to contradict you, but 2-3 cups ofveggies in addition to pellets is an awful lot. Timothy hay is just soso important. we feed Jess about 1/3 ofa cup of pellets aday, she has access to unlimited timothy hay and then at most about 1/3cup of romaine lettuce or cilantro. She's about 4lbs or so, so if yourbun is bigger you will need to compensate

Thanks everybody! I am goingto use the litter box my sister has for her cat. Is that ok that theyshare as long as we keep it clean or does Tiki need her own? She wasdoing really good this morning and I let her run around in my roomsome.It took me a while to find her when I had to leave butit was ok. She is in her cage with the pellets and the water. She's SOOcute! Thanx for the link too. I am gonna check it out later when I havemore time!

bunnygirl you should check out the post called"toys", there you'll find a lot of good suggestions for toys and otherthings you can give to your rabbit & leave in it's cage for itto play with/chew on :DMake sure to get bunny safe littertoo.

~pam

Too much veggies is unhealthy, to much greens cangive your rabbit the runs, and too much sugar is not good! Veggiesshould only be served in moderation or as a treat. I've had Megan sinceshe was 6 weeks old and she's never aten veggies in her life. Her dietis strictly pellets, water and timothy hay.

Do not use cat littler in the box though. I haveread that it is not good as they might eat it and get ablockage. Plenty of hay is so important. We justfruit for snacks here

Ok! Got it! Right now I only havepellets but I am going to get timothy hay today! Ichecked out the Toys thing already and I put a toilet paper roll in thecage this mornig for her and I am gonna look at some cat toys when I goto get the hay.

What should I use for litter if not cat litter??:?

I'd get a seperate litter box for your rabbit ifyour cat is still using it's litter box. Cat litter is NOT healthy forrabbits at all, as bunty stated if they eat it that could cause a lotof problems and the dust from it is not good for their lungs either.You're better off going to a petstore and buying rabbit friendly littersuch as yesterday's news which is basically crushed up refined recyclednews paper & it won't be a problem if your bunny eats it.

~pam

My best friend uses cat litter for Tyson....andshe's very animal savvy as she worked at a vet hospital and petstore.....so...I dunno what to say...

On another note, she's giving away Tyson for free! If anyone wants a cute little rabbit! My mom said I couldn't have him :(

Thanx! I'll get to a pet storetoday when I go to the store! I wish I didnt have to be at school so Icould play with Tiki! All of you are so helpful! Its great!

I would not recommend cat liter as well. IT also creates a lot of dustthat is not good for the rabbits repertory system! I use alpine pelletsthat you can get at local feed stores or pet stores. it is compressedin to pellets when it gets wet it turns in to clumpy sawdust. Inormally scoop it out every night and the whole litter box gets changedevery other day or every tired day. I normally just put enough in tocover the bottom of the litter box. I keep the hay in a rack close byhis litter he seams to like to chew on it while he is doing hisbusiness. you can use teh hay as litter but should be changed daily.

Try using Yesterday's news. Check someof the pet stores for it. I found one that sells the big bagfor what most charge to the little bag. Best thing is if therabbit decides to dig all the litter out like mine does now and then,you can just sweep it up without all the dust clay litter has.:D

Ed

Problem with many cat litters is th bun may eatit, whereupon it may swell up in its stomach, causing a blockage anddeath, most likely, unless you are willing to spend between $1000.00 to$2000.00 for gastric surgery that is extremely risky in andof itself to the bun's life.

Do not be foolish. By a recommended litter, such asYesterdays News, or Equisicat Pine pellets at Pet*Smart, or some other,none clay based, non clumping litter.

Buck

Funny lookinglitter, that Yesterday's News is. I poured it in the litter box and myfour year old said, "Mommy, why are you putting rabbit food where shepees?"

hehe

Thanx everybody for all yourhelp! I got the rest of the things I need today! In all I have a litterbox, yesterday's news shavings, a water bottle, a cage, a water pan,pellets, Timothy Hay, a cat toy will sounds, and a stuffed bunny. PlusI got some wood for Tiki to chew on! As soon as I can I will get somepictures! She is doing really good right now! She is still a littleshy, but I think she is at least better that yesterday! She likes toexplore in the rooms though! But I am sure to make sure she didnt chewon any cords or anything! My sisters cat is curious about Tiki, but Idont think he is a threat...he will just have to get used to her! Ilove Tiki SOO much! Just let me know if there is anything else I needor anything I can do to make my bun more comfortable! I also put thetee shirt I was wearing yesterday in the cage with her to lay on so shewould get used to my smell! Thanx for all your helpguys!!

Latest posts

Back