Heating stubborn rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylover78642

Reaction score
[shadow=blue]Stubbornrabbits[/shadow] :)I have to rabbitsthat are a mini rex and a netherland dwarf/ dwarf mix.My rabbits live outside on a covered porch. They live ina round pen made for rabbits. These months I have been giving them ablanket to keep them warm because when I give they hay in their housethey either eat it or think it is a new litter box. What should I do tohelp them stay warm? I also give them two bowls of sweet fooda day made for rabbits and 1 hay rack of hay. Is that enogh or tomuch.

I would never suggest giving rabbits a blanket.They may ingest it and become sick because of animpactionwhichrequires surgery and is expensive.

Although they eat straw, it is a much safer bet and much warmer. Strawis cheap so that shouldn't be a problem. As for going to the bathroom,you need to clean the soiled strawout daily then.

My your bunny looks young, that's not good... it looks almos tto young to be away from it's mother. How old is it?

Rabbits should have unlimited hay all day long.

What do you mean by sweet feed? A rabbit needs the plain old boringpellets because the stuff with colorful bits is unhealthy because ofthe high sugar content.

I only give my bunnys blankets because I did notknow what else to use. That pic is an early one of my little boy. Rightnow, 2 days ago, he turned 2 months old. What I mean by sweet feed ishe gets a mix of regular (boring) pellets and of a tiny bit of colorfulveggies. They like it and it helps them keep the fat on in the winter.Especially since they will become mysecond pairofbreeding rabbits.

*nepo* wrote:
First of all your bunny is so pretty:). Sun flower seeds help keep bunnies warmtoo.
Thanks your bunny is so beautiful. I almostbought one like that but he was to big for the cage. LOL. Thanks forthe info I will try it though I have a question. Do you mean regularpackaged sunflower seeds like some people eat or other stuff?:?

Thanks. His name is Nepo, heis really sweet. There is post on top of the board labeled: WarmingRabbits in the Fall and Winter Months. Or something likethat.:)

do you give them unlimited timothy hay???? iwould it helps with blockage and hair balls also. maybe use strw for inthere houses and just feed them the timothy hay that will prevent themfrom eating there bedding

sara

do you give them unlimited timothy hay???? iwould it helps with blockage and hair balls also. maybe use strw for inthere houses and just feed them the timothy hay that will prevent themfrom eating there bedding

sara

gjsara wrote:
doyou give them unlimited timothy hay???? i would it helps with blockageand hair balls also. maybe use strw for in there houses and just feedthem the timothy hay that will prevent them from eating there bedding

sara
Yes when ever they are out I give them more.

AwwWww! What a CUTE bunnyyou have there?! Aww it looks soo sweet. I really definatley agree withMyBunnyBoys!
I would never suggest giving rabbits a blanket. They mayingest it and become sick because of animpactionwhichrequires surgery and is expensive.

When you place ablanket on them, they can strt chewing on the blanket and digest it! Itcan make them really sick..in some cases I read serious. I'll trysticking to the sunflower seeds and the straw :)I reallyreally think that they would work best! Keep us posted!

Just how cold does it get where you are?

I wouldn't put bo outside. He's too small to be in the cold (IMHO)....

bunnylover78642 wrote:
I only give my bunnys blankets because I did not know whatelse to use. That pic is an early one of my little boy. Right now, 2days ago, he turned 2 months old. What I mean by sweet feed ishe gets a mix of regular (boring) pellets and of a tiny bit of colorfulveggies. They like it and it helps them keep the fat on in the winter.Especially since they will become mysecond pairofbreeding rabbits.
Uh, when did you get these bunnies? A 2 mo old baby wouldn'tbe very big.... and really couldn't sustain the temps I don't think....

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Just how cold does it get where you are?

I wouldn't put bo outside. He's too small to be in the cold (IMHO)....
I agree, I would never own an outdoor rabbit smaller than 5 lbs, IMPO. I don't think they would do well in the cold.

Tonight it is supposed to get to 30 degrees but Ihave fixed my problems. I had an extra cage so I stocked it, put it inmy room, and they now sleep in my room. Making as much noise as theycan. Are bunnys night animals?

*Giggles.* I'd be jumping for joy with 30*F! ;)But then again I'm in Canada.

Rabbits areactually crepuscular which means they are most active at dusk and dawn.

Yes, they are primarily nocturnal.

Bo is a good boy, he sleeps when I do :) Well, he also sleeps during part of the day LOL.

I hope the temperature change wasn't too drastic for them! going fromout in the cold to in the warmth? Others who have outdoorbunnies might have more knowledge about that.

Latest posts

Back