Pam Nock

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh well that's cool... :) I'd put my bun in a showbut she wouldn't win lol. She's cute but...she's bad and will runaround all crazy like hahaha

I like judging the youth mixed breed classes -- I know your beautiful girl would certainly be a champion :)

Pam

That was cute, Pam! A little champion. I'm so glad that the kids have amixed breed catagory. I thought showing was just for purebreds.

I once had the same concern about Tucker behaving, MyBunnyLovesMe.Trekcip told me that the bunnies usually do well when they're in thatenvironment. I just had visions of chasing Tucker around a million andtwo rabbit cages trying to catch him. It turned out that I couldn'tshow him if I wanted to because he's fixed, so that took away mydilemma pretty quickly.

-Carolyn

so he an't just have only one??? lol j/k Okay, well that stinks for poor lil Tucker, I think he could win! :)

Hi Pam,

That dogarned patch of skin remains. As I posted on the web,

"I've treated him for mites and followed all the steps thatentails, however, this patch of what looks like dry skin remains. Thereis no evidence of mites anywhere. He hasn't been scratching or shakinghis head, and when I've put mineral oil on the ear, it didn't 'wash'away the dead skin, if that's what it is. The rabbit's habits have notchanged. He gets pellet food, unlimited amounts of Timothy Hay, he'sgot a healthy appetite, thirst, and vigor for life."

I'm perplexed.

-Carolyn

Regarding Tucks being a Blue Ribbon Winner: Haven't met a rabbit yet that shouldn't be one! :)

Carolyn,

Is it inside the ear or on the outside (or along the veryedge)? Is it something you can scratch off with afingernail, or does it look more like a patch of pigment?Exactly how large is it? Does it have the appearance ofdandruff or is it different?

Does Tucker ever go out in the grass, or is he always inside? Does he have any exposure to any other animals?

I believe you said Tucker is 3 years of age? (Just wanted to double check)

Do you have a closeup photo of it?

Pam

Its on the outside of one of his ears, it's aboutas big as apinky nail. It's right where the earfolds next to the other ear. He doesn't ever go outside orhave other animals come into our home. I can't easily scrapeit off with my nail. It doesn't seem to come off.The fur is a little shorter there, because it's not raw and he's gotbrown fur, I think it would be hard to photograph. My camerawouldn't magnify it that much, I know that for sure. It seemsto be getting a bit whiter in the pastday. Healways shakes me off of him when I'm checking itout. It does look like dandruff, but oil doesn'twash it away and neither does my fingernail.When Idid getatiny piece of it, it almost lookedsilvery-white. It was sosmall, it was hard totell. Tucker will be 3 years old in June.

Thanks Pam.

-Carolyn

Because it's on the back of the ear, the skin mayjust be flaking off due to the friction of being in contactwith the other ear (especially if it's sparsley furred), orthe back when he puts his ear back.

I would like to see a fungal infection ruled out. Any vet cando a culture (takes about 2 weeks). You can try a tiny bit offoot fungus powder for people to see if that helps.

If not, try breaking a vitamin E capsule and rubbing it into the effected area.

Pam

Thank You Very Much, Pam.

I'll treat that little man first with what you've suggested and if in acouple of days, it's not cleared up, I'll take him in. I justhave no faith in the vets in this area, but will ask them to take aculture of it by the weekend if Vitamin E and foot fungus powderdoesn't work. Is one brand of the fungus more preferred touse than another?

Tucks and I thank you very very much for your help, Pam. :dude:

-Carolyn

Any brand of people fungus foot powder willdo. I found it very effective in treating skin flaking due tofungus on our horses. In some cases, the fungus can be causedby wet dew from the grass, which is why I asked about the rabbit beingoutside at all.

Pam

Again, Thanks Pam.

I'll definitely try it. Thanks. I'll bring Tucker in this weekend if I don't see any improvement.

You've been a God Send.

-Carolyn

And you are a doll :) I wantedto thank you for the invite. Whenmy kids are older,my husband and I plan on traveling more and I plan on coming to one ofthose beach parties and meeting everyone!

Pam

Hi Carolyn,

You mentioned that the fur was a little shorter...sounds like fur mitesfor sure. I had that problem and gave some ivomec and it cleared rightup. I'm afraid you're gonna have tobreak away from the organicdoctoring and give him some:). Take as good a picure as you can ande-mail it to me and I'll see if I cant help you further.

~Robbie

Hi Robbie,

I suppose I'll be getting some of the ivomec. I'm will treatit with the suggestionsPamnock had. I just don'tunderstand the mites though. Tucker's cage is cleaned everyday, he's not in contact with other animals, and he doesn't ever gooutside. I steam clean his cage each week. It's soannoying because I can'tfigure outwhere the mitescame from. Nice to hear from you again, Robbie.

Thank you both for your offer to take a look at it if I'm able to posta picture of it. Pam, would truly love it if some day wecould meet. I know I speak for everyone that are planning togo to the picnic. I just wanted to make sure you feltincluded.

I wish all the posters here could make it. We have a nice group here.

-Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

The bottles of Ivomec are for more than you would ever use.You can purchase a syringe full from the vet (a 1 cc syringe wouldcontain over 10 dosages).

At this point, I'm doubting fur mites, as the VetRx would have suffocated them and cleared the ear up pretty quickly.

Pam

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, Pam.The VetRx has a good consistency to it and from what I've read aboutthe mites, they suffocate when they have a mineral oil applied becauseit clogs them up. The VetRx has the same texture as mineraloil, and I've applied it one day, 24 hours later, and then 36 hoursafter that. As you know, the skin didn't flake off or seemedto have changed. It would make more sense to me if there wereother patches or evidence, but there isn't.

-Carolyn

Do you happen to know if that area of the ear hasalways been like that? We have a Satin that has always had apatch of "odd" skin on her back. It's about the size of aquarter and the hair growing out of it is very soft with no guardhairs,looking like a patch of *dead* coat. It's never changed.

Pam

Latest posts

Back