we live in the freezer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
Well, it hit -20F last night. Needless to say I was a bit afraid to go out and check the buns this morning.

We now have a basement boarder again (hmmmm, I wonder who? :p), but allthe others were just fine. I don't know how she does it, butPandmeonium's ears were downright warm, and she was running around likea maniac. She was born in fall, and I notice her ears are much morethickly furred than Izzy's or Bub's. Always have been. She's a sturdylittle thing who doesn't ever seem to feel the cold.

It was very entertaining to watch her try and bang her cage door, whenher lips kept getting stuck to the wire. She would dart forward, touchit with her lips, and dart back. Eventually she got so mad she startedthrowing hay around. Bright, she's not!

Fenny also was surprisingly fine, except for two huge ice balls hangingfrom the whiskers. Once those were removed he was his usual self (andinformed me in no uncertain terms that I was in big trouble for pickinghim up).

Iz-bug was slightly cold but active and hungry. She's lived throughenough winters to take it all in stride. She asked for her usualattention and attacked the bread with gusto.

Bub, the summer baby, is doing remarkably well in his first winter. Henever makes the same mistake twice. Right now, we are learning aboutbuilding a proper nest. :pMr. Messy no longer poops in thenest. hehehehe

I have gotten very very good at nest building. Pandemonium is the queenof nests and always stays cozy, but the others need a bit of tutoring.After a few days of me building and them tearing down, they get theidea! The boys take longer to catch on. Right now the boxes are stuffedto the brim with hay. There are little tunnels through the hay, endingin little bunny-sized burrows. So far everyone seems to have learnedwell!

Smokey was crying and wheezing, anddischarge was pouring fromher eyes. She drank so fast she started to shake, and then she couldn'twipe the water off because her feet and face froze up. Right now she'sa bit bloated and probably has cramps, from the looks of it. But sheate a bit of oatmeal and dried her eyes off. She doesn't like thefurnace noise in the laundry room but it's the only place for her. Atleast she's warm and dry. After crashing into my hand, she figured outwhere the food is, so I think she'll be ok this time around. She'll bein for the weekend.

Rose

Oh yes, quite. As long as they are in otherwisegood health. The key is enough hay in the box and a good warm nest. Ifthe nest is just slightly larger than the bunny, its body heat andbreathing will keep things nice and cozy in there.

Smokey is more than 12 years old (I've lost count), and has otherhealth problems. When she shows signs of distress, she comes in for afew days.

A healthy bun usually does quite well in winter. Summertimescares me more, because of heat stroke.

Rose

Yes it is safe to keep them outside when it'sthat cold unless its a small breed of rabbit. (I would never leaveanything under 5 lbs outside in that.)

It's -40 this morning here but mine are in the garage because I felt sorry for them!

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
Yes it is safe to keep them outside when it's that coldunless its a small breed of rabbit. (I would never leave anything under5 lbs outside in that.)

Actually, my Hols do very well, even better than big Bub. Fenny weighsabout 3 lbs and he does fine (except when the nose gets plugged....).

Rose

See I wouldn't have a small breed rabbitsoutside. But that's my personal opinion. It's the reason my next rabbitwill be a Flemish Giant, they will handle the cold a lot better than aNatherland Dwarf would. But here the temperatures often dip below -40andeven -50*C/-58*F the odd day in January.

I live about two-three hours from the border andwe are experiencing some of your lovely artic air. It was -40 with thewindchill and expected to get to -50 with the windchill as the weekprogresses. I would hate to have to go outside to take care of animals,I give you props Rose for being so diligent with your babies even whenit is this cold!

Fergi's mom

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I think Diva wants to be a midwest bunny and move toIndiana. :p
Lol Bo. My significant other has toyed with the idea of moving toIndiana, he has had some job offers there. Have to wait till I am donewith college to make our move! Not sure if it will be to Indianathough. The only way Diva goes is if the whole rest of the crew goestoo. That means my toddler with a love for vaseline and myfour-year-old who never stops talking!

Fergi's mom

Fergi wrote:
Ilive about two-three hours from the border and we are experiencing someof your lovely artic air. It was -40 with the windchill and expected toget to -50 with the windchill as the week progresses. I would hate tohave to go outside to take care of animals, I give you props Rose forbeing so diligent with your babies even when it is this cold!

Fergi's mom
I know how that is! Last year Mocha and Spice were bonded until the endof January and they stayed outside basically until they startedfighting and then one lived in a smaller cage and the other in the bigcage in the garage (they were not full grown yet and too cold to be outalone!). Well we figured -50*C/-58*F was no problem for a bonded pairbecause they could huddle in their insulated box (with straw in ofcourse) and stay nice and warm. Well a few mornings it was BELOW-50*C/-58*F WITHOUT windchill so you can imagine how cold it was withwindchill. I still got out of bed and fed them at 7:00 am. But boy Itell you, that's hard!

Have fun with the cold curtousy of us! :pIt's finallysupposed to end on Sunday and my boys can go back outside and be happy.

Fergi wrote:
Ilive about two-three hours from the border and we are experiencing someof your lovely artic air. It was -40 with the windchill and expected toget to -50 with the windchill as the week progresses. I would hate tohave to go outside to take care of animals, I give you props Rose forbeing so diligent with your babies even when it is this cold!

Fergi's mom

Well, I guess I figure that whereas I can return to my nice warm house,they've got it a lot rougher.;)So they need some extra love!

Rose

today it got really cold that school was cancled!and here i sit in my room.. with a tank-top/ belly shirt on! lol... ilike dont have that many Sweatshirts! lol.. but like the wind chill islike below 30 or below 40 somethin' like that, lol

Latest posts

Back