Why is my bunny Perching?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philodice

Reaction score
My rabbit likes to hop up onto the 18inch wall around her exercise pen, and look out onto the vast expanse of our yard. There are cats and possibly coyotes who cruise the yard regularly, so the hutch is basically a fortress of impregnable stone, thick boards, and small strong wire mesh. So does she like living on the edge, or just wants a good veiw?

Marie likes to perch instead of sleep in the safe, ground level bunny cave. Does she not like the bunny cave?

Maybe Marie is the one in charge of Security and is being vigilant to make sure that no harm is approaching? Curious to see it - can you get video of this behavior? Maybe she is hearing something in the distance that you cannot and is curious as to what it is. Obviously she is no "shrinking violet"! Guard bunny - love them!

juliew19673 wrote:
Maybe Marie is the one in charge of Security and is being vigilant to make sure that no harm is approaching? Curious to see it - can you get video of this behavior? Maybe she is hearing something in the distance that you cannot and is curious as to what it is. Obviously she is no "shrinking violet"! Guard bunny - love them!
I would say the same thing, even though Batty has no other bunny-friend (yet) when the blackbirds yell at Princess (our cat) for getting too close to tehir nests he's very alert and stays up and listening until they stop, it's kinda cute.:)

I believe bunnies do this so they can get a better view of their surroundings. I have a climber too; he likes to hop up onto the couch to see what's going on. The seats aren't good enough, he has to hop up onto the top of the couch (thankfully it's pressed up against the wall or else he'd fall off the back!)

I have another bunny who does not climb but does the periscope thing. When he hears a strange noise he stands up on his back legs to get a better idea of what is going on. The funny thing is he's a dwarf so he gains all of 3 inches in height when he does that...doesn't seem like it would help much :p

Oh, I think she's definitely working security! We have a security dog, and Bo likes to think he's the house bouncer. :p

Lots of bunnies enjoy a high level look out place eg a shelf. If the wall all that's between here and the rest of the garden? If so then I'd suggest adding some mesh around the outside so she can jump up but not over (and nothing else can jump in either).

My house bunny will happily jump from floor to kitchen worktop then peer out the window!

:laugh:

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Oh, I think she's definitely working security! We have a security dog, and Bo likes to think he's the house bouncer. :p
I love that in so many households I read about on this forum that the bun takes over!! Cracks me up every time..

It works well...... everyone sees this cute fluffy bunny - so sweet, so innocent! They'd never suspect!

Also, have you ever seen slavetoabunny's photos of Scooter guarding her man? Let me tell you..... I'd not even make a sound around him while he's napping....... she'd eat your face off! :shock::p;)

juliew19673 wrote:

:laugh:

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I love that in so many households I read about on this forum that the bun takes over!! Cracks me up every time..

Latest posts

Back