Sounds rabbits make

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imo

Reaction score
I am writing to find out about sounds a rabbit makes.I was putting an old rectangle pan in my daughter's rabbit cage and itbegan to pick it up and try to flip it. I sat it down flat away fromthe rabbit and went to lift it and put it in for a place for it to layother than the bottom of a wire cage. It was obviously bothered by thepan. I don't know if it was the noise it made or what. I removed it,and while I was reaching in to get it, the rabbit made a sound, almostlike a growling noise or something. Any ideas what it was
displaying behavoirly?

Hi IMO,

Rabbits will grunt/growl when they get angry or sometimes they do itwhen they're trying to get the attention of another rabbit when theymate. I suspect your little one got scared of the sound and wasuncertain what you were doing and gave you a growl to let you know s/hewasn't happy with you.

Don't worry about it. It seems to have been a bit of a temper tantrum.

-Carolyn

My rabbit Oscar growls at me sometimestoo. If I am trying to clean the cage bottom and he's sittingthere and I get too close he growls and swats at me. Theother day I was trying to give a him a chewstick, which he normallyloves, and he wasn't in the mood i guess and growled and lunged atme. He's not an aggressive bunny (doesn't bite or scratch),but he is very skittish and easily frightened. So I wouldimagine its either fear or anger that causes it.

My bunny growls when I go to put her back in hercage. I guess she really enjoys being free! Sometimes she squeekstoo...she makes a lot of weird noises lol but it's cute...I love her somuch!

My first bunny, Hazel, used to hum at me. Everyevening he'd get frisky and 'dance' with me by running circles aroundmy legs and leaping over my feet while making these low humming noises.Before him I never knew rabbits hummed...:)

They usually act like that (circling your feet, etc.) as their way of flirting with you.

Carolyn wrote:
Theyusually act like that (circling your feet, etc.) as their way offlirting with you.
Heh... then I should have called mybunny 'Don Juan' instead of Umbra... ;)

Seriously, he does that all thetime to me. Although he could just be playing sometimes,because he used to do it when he was little (before the horomoneskicked in).

--Melissa and Umbra

Thumper growls and lunges at my feet all thetime. And if I don't stop and pet him then he will do itagain and louder. Also, bunnies are more territorial than wewould thing. They often don't like us "invading" there spacein their cage. I try to do stuff like that when Thumper isout and about.

Our buns have registered honks, snorts, grunts,teeth grinding, both soft(we call it "chucking") when it is a pleasantresponse, and harsh and loud, when the buns are in pain.

Buns will also scream like a dying child when they are in mortal fearfor their own lives. Let us hope you never have to hear thatsound. Once you have, it will haunt you for the rest of yourlife. I do, and it way more than 50 years ago that I heardthat sound for the first and only time.

Buck

aww I would never wanna hear my bunny in pain :(She grunts sometimes when I pick her up (I might've squeezed her toohard) But she doesn't do it anymore...

As for her running around my feet.... she doesn't do that. She runs incircles around the room, but not me lol. Maybe she doesn't love me lol.

It makes me laugh how many sounds your rabbits make! Tucker's nevergrunted, growled, or hummed. He definitely chucks, as Buck Jonesdescribes above.

When he pitches a fit, he does it by making noise like throwing his hayrack across the cage or room when it's empty, lifting the apple log inhis cage with his nose and letting it bang down, kicking the sides ofthe cage, or thumping. When he's banging things around, I know he'sVery Mad!

-Carolyn

Let's see...Reeces regularly circles my feetand thumps in the process! ;)I never took the thumping asanger, cause he also does this when I come down to see him in themorning...he circles in his cage and thumps until I open it and thenwants to snuggle and give me a kiss. (He loves kisses, both receivingthem and giving!) He's a lover by far......

He also "snorts" whenhe is excited, it is almost a very low and soft piggy snortingsound...he's so funny.

~Dionne

My youngest and first bunny(crystal)madea sort of hiss-growl noise once when my friend was annoying it.Otherthan that he throws boxes(I have a picture of him flipping a box overhis head)and he circles my feet a lot.

i think its cute when my rabbit, joey, yawns andsneezes. when he grunts i just tell him no, be a good buy and then ilet him calm down

mabye he was just playing a game with the litterbox/tray and he was angry that you were taking it out. Just like arabbit trying to tip up a dish, they like nothing better thanoverturning things.:cool:

MommiesZoo wrote:
He also"snorts" when he is excited, it is almost a very low and soft piggysnorting sound...he's so funny.
I just got a new Netherland Dwarf Bunny. His name is Theodorebecause he looks like a chipmunk. I have noticed that hemakes little piggy noises too. I have never had a rabbit thatgrunted before. He will do it when he gets worked up, likewhen he gets scared or when I pick him up. His nose is reallypug (I think he was kept in a glass cage... ;)) Could thatindicate any breathing difficulties? Or is it just anexpression?

I have also heard that netherlands have a bit of a temper. Does anyone have any experience with this?

-- Look for a new topic from me soon. I will be posting picsof my bunnies. I will be asking for ID on one ofthem. Thanks!

Binky used to go "hmm hmm hmm hmm" happily as heran about... but Henry never makes any noise, he just grins his teethwhen he's petted.

I've heard the screaming noise too... My first rabbit, Rosie, gotcaught in some string when I wasn't watching her, tried to run away andwhen she realised she was caught let out a massive scream! Iwas horrified at the time and it still upsets me! Poor weething! She was terrified! I was only 9 at the time,so I wasn't as clued up on watching the rabbit constantly as I amnow... we didn't have the internet then... :S

Oreo makes some weird noises, she grunts if she'smad (like when i had to give her medicine), and she loves to circle myfeet specially when I am wearing pajama pants lol she likes to stickher nose under my pant legs, she makes some kinda noise while doing itkinda sounds like a hmmm I guess would best describe it, she also makesa lil noise if she is laying down & I am petting her but I haveto be real close to her to hear it. I dont know how to describe it,butI only hear it ifI am laying down next to herwhich I usually do when I pet her while shes laying down. I've heardher snort on occassion to but it was a random thing, I thought maybeshe just got fur up her nose or something lol :D

~pam

Latest posts

Back