Newby

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinnieMouse

Reaction score
You guys havealready answered many of my questions. But here is the restof the story. . .

When my children and I came home fromspring break last monthmy DH informedme aboutfinding a dead "baby bat" in the rabbit hutch. Now thisreally surprised me and upon further investigation I discovered 8 moredeceased babies. Having had rabbits while I was growing up Itold my husband that we needed to separate the rabbits or we'd havemore babies. Famous last words. . .

While I was walking the dog tonight shewould not leave the hutch alone. When I looked in what shouldI see, but five little babies. I immediately removed the buckand placed him in a temporary home (until I can build a hutchtomorrow). I placed the babies in the nesting box and coveredthem with as much loose fur as I could find. OK, problemsolved for the time being? Yeah right, the doe is havingnothing to do with the babies. It is after midnight now so Ithought I would check them in the morning before I wake the family forschool. I did make sure both rabbits have food and water, anyother suggestions??? ~ Minnie Mouse

Hello Minnie,

did youi place the nestbox in the same spot where the Doe had placedthe litter? Does often do not feed the kits for the first day or so.They are waiting for their milk to drop. Is the Doe on full-feed withwater available 24/7 ? If the Doe does not get proper nurishment shecannot/will not produce milk. No milk, no feed!

Dead Bat is a problem as Bats carry Rabies. I would be very cautious.

Since the Buck was still in the same cage as the Doe when the kits wereborn, I would be prepared for a possible litter to be born about 4weeks after this one. Rabbits are extremely fertile just afterkiindling [giving birth] and the Buck is most obliging. Be prepared!Best of luck with your little ones!:D

Dennis,C.V.R. http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/crescentvalley

The buck was removed right after, within ahour of birth. As far as the "bat" it was actuallya baby bunnie. DH is a "City Boy" and not well versed inpets. Just wanted to share cause I thought it wasfunny. Yes, doe (Snowball) has planty of food and water and Ieven gave her a carrot last night. Kits seem to be fine thismorning, resting comfortably. The nesting box was in thehutch and two were born in thebox while three werebornon the wire.

Hello,

Does only feed their kits twice every 24 hours. Usually early in themorning and in the evening. You cantell if the kits are beingfed by checking their tummies, they should be warm and round.

That's all I can think of for now!

Good Luck.

Lissa, BlueBelle, and CupCake

Welcome MinnieMouse! :dude:

-Carolyn

Howdy! I'm Michelle!! I have 2 buns, Megan and Peppy!! Welcome to the boards :)

Day 1 - Mother and babies are restingcomfortably. I bought some alfalfa chunks and Momma seems toenjoy the little extra tidbit. Dad has settled into his newhome. His cage is next to the other one and he likestowatch over his little brood. Keep your fingerscrossed ~ Minnie

Full Speed Ahead, MinnieMouse!

-Carolyn

Tsk, Oh MinnieMouse. :(

I'm so sorry.

I'm grateful that they had love for the short time they were here.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back