Cold Ears

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score

My rabbit's ears were pretty chilly last night.

I noticed that my fingertip's temperature and his ears were about the same temperature.

While the rest of my body was warm, my fingers were a little chilly.

Does anyone know of a correlation, and when do cold ears becomesomething to be concerned about? My rabbit is 3 years old, is this partof what happens to an 'older rabbit'?

-Carolyn

Megan has cold ears sometimes, and she's only 7months old. I always figured its because she's in the basement and itmight get a little cold at night?

Could be, Michelle. No doubt!

Tucker's in the apartment with me. I leave the window cracked, the airis flowing. I'm warm, but my fingers have a chill similar to the degreeof Tucker's ears.

I'm wondering if there's a correlation in blood flow rate.

-Carolyn

That could very well be! I know if Megan's outsidetoo long (it's only like 15 degrees here) or if she's in the basementwith a window open, her ears will get cold. I think it's becausethere's not much fur, and that the skin is very thin....? Maybe! I'm byfar not an expert..at all... lol. but I try! :) Get warm little TuckerBucker and Carolyn's fingers!!! :)

As long as the rabbit appears to be in goodhealth, there is no worry :) On a healthyrabbit, the ears will generally feel much cooler when the rabbit isholding them up as opposed to how warm they feel when they are helddown close to the body.

Pam N.

I always thought that:

Cold ears meant that the Rabbit likes you! I seem to remember a saying,"Cold ears,Warm Heart"!

Heh,Heh.:):D:dude:

Dennis,C.V.R.

Thanks, Folks!

Michelle,

Thank you for the sentiments.

I appreciate what you said, Pam, about healthy rabbit's ears being abit cooler. I've always noticed that on Tucker and have worried.

HankHanky,

I got a chuckle out of 'cold ears, warm heart'. :) Most days he's got awarm heart, but last night, he was pretty much cold hearted in how hewouldn't behave.
:X

-Carolyn

Don't you speak ill of my Tucker,Carolyn!!!

He's a free spirit and he must have room toexpress hisindividuality.

Oops. Bunnymommy saw that. :?

-Carolyn

Ok Hank Hanky! When I saw that you hadposted to this question , I thought oh great. I too have beenwondering why my buns have cold ears on occasion. I wasexpecting a scientific, well thought out rabbit health relatedanswer! Surprise Surprise :Dout came thatmuchneeded humor! Not whatI expected atall, butI did enjoy it ! Keep up the goodwork! Beckie

I would think that just like in the heat and thelittle one's ears are very warm (I mean WOW, have you ever taken a lookat all those blood VEINS-not so attractive on my poor Jez hehe) When itis chilly their ears are as well? I am curious about this too, since itis just an assumption...are their ears not unlike a tasty Starbucksthermos? keeps the hot drink hot and the cold drink cool?

Cher

Their ears are used a little "air conditioners", as the exposed surface helps to dissipate heat.

Ears however, are not the primary cooling mechanism as many people assume.

Pam

Oreo's ears feel cool sometimes heh I use it as anexcuse for mom to turn up the heat since she likes freezing me outcause she's always hot:p

I also noticed that Oreo's ears get really hot after she's been racingaround like a nut & finally flops down to let me pet her, but Ithink it's just from all the running aroundand wearingherself out. :D

~pam

I caught dad giving her a corn chex cereal piece, after I TOLD him chexs are a NO NO!:shock:

*laughs* Pamela227,

Too funny that you use Oreo as an excuse to bump up the heat. Does it work?

*High-Five* on catchin your Dad. Ya gotta watch those parents. M&SMom'll tell ya about that!

-Carolyn

No, it doesn't work :?mom always comesback with the fur arguement that Oreo's got enough to keep her warm& I come back and say but I don't have all that fur to keep mewarm! & mom comes back and says 'no but you have fleece pjs& heavy clothes you could layer" lol Moms.. got an answer toeverything! :p

I've caught him a few times sneaking chexs to her & I keeptelling him to stop that she's not like the dog where you could givestuff like that.. I think that box of chex is going to 'mysteriously'make its way to the garbage if he doesn't stop!:X

~pam

Rabbits primary way to adjust the temperatureof their bodies is by respiration. The main secondary way is by sendingmore or less blood to the ears. If they are hot, more blood goes to theears to be cooled. If they are cold, less blood is circulated to theears and they tend to hold the ears close to the body to help conserveheat.

Suzy

The buns ear temp used to drive me crazy with worry.

I'd pick them up and their ears would be very warm. I would relate thisto my children having ear infections. I'd run around like a nutresearching and asking for advice. Then I would go back to check thebun...and their ears would be cool.

After I while I started to think that the buns could do this on command....just to drive me crazy!!!

Now I just accect it as one of those bunnie things.... like eating their bunnie-poopies, bunnie-flopping, and bunnie-binkies!

:~) Jim

Latest posts

Back