My Rabbit is eating his feces!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I read the info, and I've never seen greengrapie like poops, so does that mean she's eating them?? I've seen hera few times with her head between her legs... wasn't sure if she wascleaning herself or what....

MyBunnyLovesMe wrote:
Okay I read the info, and I've never seen green grapie likepoops, so does that mean she's eating them?? I've seen her a few timeswith her head between her legs... wasn't sure if she was cleaningherself or what....
Yes -- a rabbit ingests the cecotropes directly from theanus. They normally do not eat them off the cagefloor. These droppings are normally moist and very dark incolor.

A healthy rabbit with a balanced diet does not produce an overabundance of cecotropes, so you normally won't see them.

Pam

You might want to recheck your information.

When we first got our rabbit I read a lot of the websites concerningtheir care, and I've yet to find one that didn't say that a rabbit isincapable of vomiting.

In fact, when I took her for her first checkup the vet gave us a paperwhich talked about rabbits and their care. In the paper they also saidthat a rabbit could not vomit.

I have a couple rabbit handbooks that I boughtwhen I got my rabbit, and they too say that rabbits are NOT capable ofvomitting. That is one of the reasons giving them Timothy hay and goodpellet food is so important.. they contain fiber & stuffthat helps break down and prevent hairballs from happeningsince a rabbit cannot vomit ahairball like catscan. Maybe the encyclopedia has outdated information in it?

Either way, I'd get a second opinion on what is wrong with your bunnybefore agreeing to surgery. If you can post the symptoms on here thereare many wonderful helpful people on this forum that can give yousuggestions and remedies as well as help you try to find out what iswrong with your lil one! Be sure to check to see if your bunny's eyesor nose is runny too, those are common signs of illness.

~pam

As taken from http://www.cah.com/library/rabbitdiseases.html

Hairballs:

Like cats, rabbits (especially Angora rabbits) frequently develophairballs within their stomachs. But unlike cats, rabbits cannot vomit.As a result, hair that is swallowed from the frequent grooming passesinto the stomach and remains there. Over time, the hair develops into asolid mass. As the hairball increases in size, it begins to occupy moreand more of the stomach, leaving less room for food. Initial signs of ahairball problem include changes in the consistency of the fecalpellets, reluctance to eat pellets, and more interest in eating greensand treat items. Later signs include inappetence, smaller fecal pelletsor none passed at all, weakness, weight loss and, eventually, deathfrom starvation.

FACT:Feces are meantto be eaten. Rabbit carn't always grab nutrients from their food thefirst time round so to get the rest of the nutrients they eat theirfeces, it's nothing to woory about it is a common fact.

Pls refer to thread where I stated that my "bunnysitter" was scared &^%$ of having to tell me about what he SAW:shock:my girls eat whilst I was gone.....hahaha

Gotta agree with the last post :)

I still haven't seen my rabbit eat her owncrap.... well, I've seen her eat her normal poops, but not the specialpoops. well, I've seen her with her head between her legs once but thatdoesn't really mean she ate anything ? But I have seen her eat herlittle hard round poops!

wishbone332 wrote:
itsays that rabbits, just like dogs, cats, and humans, are capable ofvomiting
I think we have established that it is common opinion that rabbits donot vomit. I just wanted to add that this is the reason thatrabbits do not need their food withheld before surgery. Theonly reason to withhold food is to keep the anesthetic from making theanimal vomit while under. Since rabbits do not vomit,withholding their food is unneccessary and could lead to GI stasis (Thecease of the function of their digestive tract, caused by an emptydigestive tract) which will rob your bunny's life from you.

If your vet requests you to fast your rabbit, DUMP HIM. :X

FYI.

My advice is to clean out his cageevery morning, to distracts him or her with other food such as carrots,his regualar food and those little bars that have the corn or whateverin them

Good Luck!!!!

Octet23:dude:

So it is okay if bunnies eattheir normal feces (the round ones)? I haven't seen my bunny eat hisfeces (the dark and gooey ones:p) Maybe he does it at night. I said ina post way back that my bunny eas overweight, but I'm glad to say thathe is losing excesive weight after I changed his diet. So maybe hedfoesn't do it so often:?.

Latest posts

Back