Pregnant?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImSoRexyItHurts

Reaction score
Not sure where I should have posted this...
So I was asked if I had any females possibly pregnant today and I said no but was keeping an eye out on the one rex girl I took in with her sister. Now I am not sure what to think, or maybe I am just paranoid cause its in my mind now?
She looks kinda roundish and I actually thought she had bloat last night, however she isn't acting like an animal with bloat. She's eating, drinking, hops around like normal but lays on her side more then usual and doesn't want to be held as opposed to her love bug sister. I listened to her tummy and there was no gurgly noises either and her poo is still solid and normal. Her stomache feels pretty hard though. She's looked round for a while so I havent really payed attention but now she looks more round and hard. I held her and kept my hand on her tummy but couldn't even feel the slightest of flutters. I really didn't think she would be because of her age and being so young. Her sister is no where near her size. I took pictures tonight purposely because now she looks like she might be a bit buldgy to me but I can't tell if its just normal healthy eating cause acorn sometimes looks like this is I sit him up. I got her on the night of the 3rd so I guess I have another week until I know for sure but she's got me pondering. Here are the pics.. what do you think? Am I just paranoid? Don't mind her stained paws. And those aren't nipples just gray spots.

preg2.jpg

preg1.jpg

Her belly does look quite "pear shaped". I wonder if bunnies get the pair shape when they are pregnant?

How old is she and how long have you had her? Has she been eating more than usual? Is she nesting?

If she was a rat...I would say she was pregnant because of the pear shape, but I am not sure if bunnies get that.

See I'm used to rodents as well lol, thats why I'm kinda confused.
I've had her since the night of the 3rd, so she has about a week left until I know for sure . She eats about the same I guess? Drinks a lot of water though. My male has the same shape kinda except he is squishy. As far as I know she is about 4-5 months now. I have to check the date he gave me.

ETA They are both going on 5 months now

I am pretty sure they are old enough to get pregnant at 4 months. I could be wrong.

I don't know the story, but was she in with the male around the time she came to you?

That I don't know. When I went there he knew I was looking for a female but said he didn't know all of the sexes. He brought them in from outside and had them in the living room so I can look at them. I sexed all the ones in the cage and they were all female. So if he sexed them before hand I don't know. I asked arent they going into heat or ready to mate yet? He said soon thats why he wanted to get rid of them fast. Unless he wanted to dump them cause he knew they could be? Not sure. Who they were caged with outside is beyond me. I saw the outside cages and saw the mother and other bunnies in there. I'm assuming they were either males or other females? There were 2 other cages outside though, one was the fathers and not sure who the others were.

I moved this thread to the Rabbitry section for you. That way breeders can take a look for you and give you their opinion.

It is possible for rabbits to have babies as young as 3-4 months old.

Best way is to watch her behaviour for nesting. If she starts carrying hay around in her mouth, or trying to build a nest, then chances are she's pregnant. But be on the look out just in case until after 31 days from her purchase.

You can't really tell a pregnant rabbit by their shape. Rabbits need to stay agile through out the pregnancy, so they don't really devlope much of a round belly.

You might be able to see babies move, or be able to feel them by this point.

--Dawn

Its hard to say from a picture, but generally their bellies do get a firmer feel to them. If you are still a week out you most likely wouldn't feel any kicking yet...I've only really felt that 2-3 days before they give birth. Its also very common for them to not even really show when pregnant...but when they are having a good size litter I've noticed some of mine do start to show.

Can you try and palp her, if she's that far along it s/b pretty easy to feel the babies.

You can't really tell by looking at them unless they have a ton of babies in them.

You can feel them though at this stage pretty easily. Set her on a table and

gently feel low in her abdomen. You can generally feel the babies.

Roger

I know that one sign of a possible pregnancy is that does lay on their side more. I remember reading this somewhere, just can't remember where, but I'll look.

She does look like she may be pregnant, but I've never really payed much attention to the shape of their belly; just how fat they were.

Emily

Thanks everyone. I did take her out and tried to feel her belly. Pushed a tiny bit with fingers looking to feel anything. The only thing I can feel is kinda like her insides but no bumps per se.. so maybe she's just a fat little girl after all. I felt like a solid but squishy mass on the bottom of her tummy but it wasn't like a baby it was like organs or something. Not that I was squeezingh ard but I think you know what I mean. I suppose if she was as pregnant as I thought I woudl be able to feel something.
I guess its not out of the question just yet but I feel a bit more safe to say she isn't.
=)

Well, I have alwasy been terrible at palpating, so I won't try to give you any advice there. ;)I will agree though that you can't tell by looking if she is pregnant, it's pretty rare for a rabbit to look any different at all even if she is only a day or two away from delivering. YOu might or might not be able to feel kicks, the babies could be having a quiet time or sleeping.

One other thing I was thinking, are you sure her sister is a sister? Even the most experienced of us have been fooled sometimes. Good luck though, hopefully she is just chubby! :biggrin2:

Yup I am positive they are both females. I sexed them both more then once just to be sure before I brought them home and again when they were here. I've felt for kicks and flutters several times and for about 5 minutes per sitting, especially when she is very active and nothing. I can't even feel bumps in her tummy adn I reallllly looked and felt for them. I've had many pregnant animals here from rescues and wildlife, just none rabbits. At this point I don't think she is anymore, perhaps I was just paranoid after being asked. I still have a few more days until I'm in the clear though.

She could just be plump. I palpate and am not always right (hahaha). The babies Kind of feel ike grapes.I always place a nestbox in the cage even when I do not think the doe is pregnant( after palpating) just in case.

Thanks. I am going to try and feel again today. I do have a box with both not pill fleece and shredded paper bag. She hasn't been nesting. Just peeing on it lol.

She's a mini-rex or not?

Someone told me that mini-rex tend to look like footballs... round in the middle.... and it's pretty much true.

Yes she is. I adore mini rex lol. Thats what I meant by Acorn sometimes looking like that. However her sister is not even half her size.

well, that's possible with the false dwarf thing.

Is she bigger just in the tummy? or all over?

Is she as active as the sister?

The best thing to do is compare them in a lot of ways.

and wait

and put a lot of hay in her cage

and have a digital camera handy....

She has the same structure as her sister, same length and size, except her sister is thin and she has a tummy from heck. Personality wise her sister is a ragdoll who loves to be held and kissed and will come up to be picked up. She on the other hand will run to the corner so you don't pick her up. Sometimes she even runs from pets but then once you start she relaxes. Once she is out on you she will relax as well until you put her back then she kicks. She acts more skiddish and paranoid but then again so did almost every rabbit from that house. I was thinking of giving some supplement to the sister cause she is a little on the too thin side.

Latest posts

Back