Shredded Alpine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuddlesMom

Reaction score
I was wondering what most of you use as beddingfor your buns? Im using this care fresh bedding i think its recyclednewspaper......im getting frustrated though...it seems when im cleaningmy babys cage im losing more bedding cause we still areworking on the potty training he "poops" lots in hiscage. Any ideaswhat is a good less expensivebedding to use is? :?Im cleaning his cage every am w/ thepooper scooper

Hi NewMommieof4,

Do you have a Tractor Supply Company store near you or anAgway? Buck Jones uses a litter called WoodypetBedding.http://www.woodypet.com/It's wood pellets and is considerably less expensive than recyclednewspaper litter.

-Carolyn

Hmmmm i do have a john deer place by me...imina suburb of Chicago...not many tractor dealers around here.If i cant find any can someone tell me what they use instead? I do havehorse stables around byme maybe someone there would know???

It's actually a bedding for horses and sells for $4.96 fora 30 lb. bag.

I hope someone else can give you ideas. I'm sure you know notto use Cedar, but thought I'd just mention it for those that don't.

Good Luck, NewMommieof4!

-Carolyn

I was just going to ask about litter like that! Thanks for answering my question before I asked it:D.

I'm definitely going to get that, the other litteris so expensive!

Lissa, BlueBelle, and CupCake

Query Woodypet @http://www.woodypet.com/about.htmlfora retailer near you. It is really good stuff; safe for buns,user friendly, and biodegradable. I had been buying it when Itravel out of state because I knew Tractor Supply Company outletscarried it. After querying the company's web site, I wasinformed of a local feed store(horse oriented) that not only carriedit, but was on sale for $3.99 per 30 lb bag!

I'm using WOODYPET PROFESSIONAL ANIMAL BEDDING. Theyalso produce an animal litter, which I know nothing about, other thanit comes in 15 lb bags. May even be the exact same thing,different packaging.

Even though it is marketed as a horse bedding, it serves superbly asrabbit litter, at reduced prices, I suspect, because it is not labeled"litter."

Buck

Hi Buck,

The Horse Outfitter Store that I get my rabbit chow at has theWoodypet. I was wondering how effective it is in regard to odor?

Thanks, Charlotte

Handles odor well, IMHO, Charlotte, butI do remove expended granules daily even though instructions say thatis not necessary. It is so easy because the stuff is so userfriendly. Here's some promotional words I received fromthem......

Woody Pet Professional Animal Bedding consists of Fir, Spruce &Pine. Unlikewood shavings and most otheranimalbeddings up to99% ofthe aromatichydrocarbons which cause and aggravate respiratory and contactallergies are removed. No more hives or coughing makes for happy horsesand other animals.Due to this extreme processingthatWoody Petendures while beingmanufacturedit exits the milling processa sterileproduct. Woody Pet can be spread onpastures or flowergardens. Woody Pet decomposes faster than shavings as all of the tars,oils, & resins have been removed.

On average, one pallet (65 - 30 lb. bags) of Woody PetProfessional Animal Bedding will last one horse in one stall for oneyear. Compared to using bagged shavings in horsestallsWoody Pet Professional Animal Bedding will not onlyreduce your bedding expense and control ammoniaodours butwill also dramatically cut your stall cleaning time and wastepile.

Woody Pet Professional Animal Bedding helps you say"goodbye" tofoul ammonia odours not only in horse stalls butsmall animalareas as well.

Buck

I use this stuff called critter care. I pay about3.00 for a 10 dry liters. Its a small package but its packed reallytight. I clean her little box out daily and i use newspaper in thebottompart and i clean that about twice a week, kindadepending on how much she is going on the floor. i would say its abouthalf and half. The bag seems to last me about two weeks but ihave never given it that much thought just buy a new bag when i amabout to out of it.

I used to use two boxes in her cage to help keep her using her pans butshe got angry and would dump both of the boxes. Now with just one sheonly uses it to potty. Now if i could get her to improve more on usingthe box all the time.

Cristy

Hey Buck,
My bunnies live outdoors and have a two sides to each of their cages.In one side I have Straw and the other I have Woodshavings, is thisokay? I get them both from my local petstore. Also I cant find timothyhay near me (is it only in America and Canada?) But I s alfa alfa ok.They dont eat much hay anyway.

Wuv 4rm lauren

I use Pine shavings.... made by..Pestell! Megan often eats the big chunks...lol

Is pine shavings ok? and how does it do as far asholding a odor??! I looked around here for what Buck uses....most ofthe stables here carry shavings...if i cant find them wood pellets iguess ill stick to what im using now

Cedar shavings have been linked to upperrespiratory and epidermal problems. The theory is therabbits' urine combines chemically with the cedar to produce toxicfumes and/or substances. Some "authorities" claim this is notso. I've personally spoken to two vet techs who claim theiroffices have treated rabbits for exactly those problems and attributethem to cedar shavings used as bedding.

Some people claim the same thing for pine shavings, and, again, othersdispute that argument. If you read the promotional stuffreleased by Woodypet, you will see they claim to have takenpains to eliminate any such potential problems within their product.

My attitude regarding shavings of either cedar and/or pine, is that ifthe jury is still out on a potential health problem for my buns, I amnot going to take a chance and prove or disprove the issue by usingthem as the guinea pigs(no pun intended).

I do believe Woodypet is safe in this respect.

Buck

When Buck Jones and his bride were visiting, I had 3 rabbits in oneroom. Two were using WoodyPet, one was using Yesterday's News. I havean air purifier; and all rabbits are fixed.

I'm particularly sensitive to smell; and there was no odor of rabbits in this place.

-Carolyn

The pine shavings I use really hide the odor, her cage smells like...well pine! Plus she likes to eat it...

Exquisicat Pine pellet litter @Pet*Smart for $7.99 per 20 lb bag is what I used touse before I found Woodypet.

Various wood stove pellets also function very well, if they are sold inyour area, and usually less expensive that Equisicat and/or Woodypet.

Buck

i use "cellsorb," its a recyclednewspaper type deal. its reasonably priced, i forget how much i paidfor the 40lb bag-maybe around $10. the only thing i dont like is thatit tends to turn into a sort of like clay when wet. ill have to checkinto the woody pet-theres lotsa farms around the area, so im sure icould find it somewhere.

Batbunny,

If you query the company at their Internet site, they will provide youwith location(s) of local retailers. Tractor Supply Companyusually carries it on hand, if there is an outlet in your area.

Lauren,

Some people claim alfalfa hay, in addition to alfalfa pellets, providetoo rich a diet and can lead to health problems. Others claimyou cannot hurt by overfeeding alfalfa. I tend to go alongwith the former, even though before "I knew any better," I used to freefeed alfalfa hay and free feed alfalfa pellets. I noticed noparticular health problems at that time, but I also was letting ourbuns free range(grass fed)24/7, in addition to providing the free feedalfalfa hay and pellets.

Buck

Ok thanks all i have a friend that raises buffaloin Wisconsin I asked him to look for the bedding up there.Ill stick to what im using now. I dont want to make my bun sick so illkeep using the carefresh litter for now :)

Latest posts

Back