Pam Nock

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow yet another thing I didn't know bunshad...mites are like fleas I'm guessing? What are the signs that theyhave them? Where do they come from... she's never been outside oranything...and the house seems pretty clean lol. Let me know! And howcan I prevent this and stop it! And what to look for.

Hi Michelle,

The way I was able to tell that Tucker has them is because his earslook like he's got a little bit of dandruff on it. Not sureif they're ear mites or fur mites, but either way, they've got togo. Ear mites leave the inside of earslooking quite irritated.

I put the VetRx on Tucker, Pam, removed all of his toys and his beddingand they're all in a paper bag for the moment, sealed for themonth. Poor little guy is mad at me for bothering his ears,but he let me put it on him without a fuss. Thanksfor your help today.

-Carolyn

MyBunnyLovesMe wrote:
Wow yet another thing I didn't know buns had...mites arelike fleas I'm guessing? What are the signs that they have them? Wheredo they come from... she's never been outside or anything...and thehouse seems pretty clean lol. Let me know! And how can I prevent thisand stop it! And what to look for.
There are many different types of mites that inhabit every inch of yourhouse includinghouse dust mites, spider mites, mouse mites,plant mites, etc. So, mites being present on our rabbits isnot a major surprise.

Here's some mite photo slides:

http://www.radil.missouri.edu/RADILinfo/para/fur.asp

More info:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/furloss.html

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/health/vet-talk/new-bug.html

So is its nothing I should really be overlyconcerned about?? I mean dogs get fleas all the time and it doesn'tbother them, except for being itchy. My bun never really touches herears so I'm sure shes fine! She only touches them when she's cleaningherself all over.

Correct -- unless you see evidence of infestation,I wouldn't be overly concerned. The mites are normally not aproblem in healthy rabbits. In fact I rarely ever see anyevidence of mites on our rabbits (they are there, I'm sure).I used to go through and mite dust them a couple times a year, but itreally doesn't seem necessary.

Pam,

I'm glad you pointed out all the various types of mites there are. Itfreaks me out though because I hate seeing Tucker like this. He'salways shown signs of good health, and I'm concerned that this is asign that he's aging or if it started with the bedding. I know you saidthat they're usually present, but the dandruff look on the one eartoday has me really beating myself up. I'm sure it's not far alongbecause this is the very first day I've seen a symptom of it.

Not sure how long to stick with VetRx before I know if it's working ornot, but I'll give it a couple of treatments and hope and pray that itworks. I'm sure it will work. It seems to have what it needs to killthe mites.

Thanks for listening. I'm just bummed feeling like I let him down.

-Caroly

At certain times of year, mites may beworse. The two times I contracted them was during the winter(yes, humans can get them - not fun). From what I have read,fur mites do not come from shavings, hay, etc. because they cannotsurvive off the animal in a dry place very long.

You haven't let Tucker down. Sounds to me like he couldn't possibly have it any better :D

I think a few applications should clear it right up.

How old is he? I'm sure you mentioned it before, but I can't remember.

One thing just to keep in mind for the future as he does age is thefact that I highly recommend Nutri Cal because it is so easilydigestible. I used to work at a "geriatric" horse farm andfound that such supplements made a world of difference in the animalsability to resist any type of disease, including skindiseases. Our 40 year old pony was like a "new man" when Iswitched to a senior horse feed.

Pam

Hi Pam,

He'll be 3 in July. I'll definitely get some NutriCal. This area hasmore horses than people. I'm sure I can find it pretty easily. Ishould've had it by now because I've heard you mention it over and overagain.

(I think he's trying to cheer me up because he's racing around and stopped obsessing about cleaning the VetRx off of him.)

Thank you so much for your kindness. I really needed you today and youwere right there for me. I don't know how you thank someone for that.

-Carolyn

I went off on the horse tangent, but wasn'tspecific that Nutri Cal is a product for dogs and cats and comes intube form : ) It can be found at many pet stores.The Valley Vet online store has it for a good price.

You are always there for everyone else, and so supportive and caring,that I was glad I could be of some help to you :)

Thanks Pam. :)

Ya know, I'm starting to wonder if it ever really was mites. You knowhow the VetRx has an oily texture to it and allows you to really seethe skin? Well, upon careful investigation for the past couple of days,I'm beginning to wonder if its the pigmentation of his skin. What Ithought appeared to be white speckles of dead skin isn't dead skinbecause it would come right off and it doesn't.

-Carolyn

I really think that's what's going on, Pam. How Silly of Me! Boy, am I glad I didn't treat him with anything other than VetRx.

The more I examine him, the more I'm sure that I misdiagnosed him. Poorlittle guy has been taking it like a trooper too. He even cuddled upwith me last night; I wouldn't've done that if I were him.

I searched for Nutri-Cal at the Animal Hospital's store. They didn'thave it, so I'll just get it online where you had pointed me to. Wassurprised that the animal hospital didn't have it on-hand.

Thanks for all your help. :dude:

I'm glad Tucker is okay!!! :) Do you name your buns Pam? I'd imagine you'd have a lot to remember lol.

MyBunnyLovesMe wrote:
I'm glad Tucker is okay!!! :) Do you name your buns Pam? I'dimagine you'd have a lot to remember lol.
Almost all of them have names, which I tattoo in their ear.

I can't remember numbers very well :)

One of my favorite young does is "Pergolia". Also have a couple cute bucks, "Pharaoh" and "Bequest".

Pam

Aww, that's cute! I didn't know bunnies got tattooed. But I guess you'd have to keep track of all the ones you have :)

MyBunnyLovesMe wrote:
Aww, that's cute! I didn't know bunnies got tattooed. But Iguess you'd have to keep track of all the ones you have :)

Under ARBA rules, rabbits exhibited in the US, Japan & Canadamust be tattooed for identification. (In the UK, metal legbands are used for identification).

Without a form of identification, rabbits could easily be mixed up.

Pam

Ohh, okay! So if you wanna show them and breed themor whatever they must be tattooed? Kinda like Dogs then, right? There'sno bunny shows over here... rabbits just aren't that popular :(

They just need to be tattooed to show.

There are shows up in Canada, just not very many due to lack ofinterest and difficulty in finding judges. I have worked witha judge living in Canada (originally from England) and was recentlyasked if I'd be willing to travel up to Canada to judge.

Pam

Latest posts

Back