New Here!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennifer143

Reaction score
Hi everyone, :)

I was finally able to buy a couple of bunnies a few weeks ago, and Ilove them SO much! They are wonderful new additions. Their names areLickity and Split (original enough? ;) ). I was told one was a dwarfrex and the other a chocolate dutch. I honestly don't know thedifference between all the breeds, but from what I've seen bylooking around this great site, that's what they seem to be. Maybe youguys can tell me for sure:

Here's Lickity:
bunnies-002.jpg

And here's Lickity and Split together:
bunnies-009.jpg

bunnies-010.jpg

bunnies-011.jpg

I caught Lickity cleaning herself!
bunnies-012.jpg

bunnies-015.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy, low-quality photos, but man they HATE sitting still! :)

They are both females, and they seem to be bonding big time, which is arelief for me. I house them separately (would it be better to housethem together for body heat and a friend?) but before and after workthey can roam a bedroom, and one always follows the other. They are socurious, it's so adorable! They lick eachother and sleep together. Isupervise them carefully, I've heard stories about chewing up wires,that would be terrible! :shock: Oh, since I'm asking questions, howwould I go about "potty-training" them? I don't appreciate them goingon my carpet! If there is any way around that I would love to here it.If not, I guess I can put newspaper down...OR.. can I let them roam thebathroom? Hmm...

Anyway, let me know what you think, and any (and I mean ANY) advice you guys can throw out there, would be VERY appreciated.

Thanks!
Jennifer

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. They are both about 4-6months old, and about 2 lbs (+-). I was told they should both only growto be about 5-6 lbs. Is this true? (It doesn't really matter eitherway). Also, how long do they live? :) Lots of questions, but you allseem very knowledgable, and I appreciate the input.

Jennifer

They look like a dutch and a mini rex.my booksays mini rex 4 1/2 lbs,dutch 5 1/2 lbs.I just put the litter pan inthe cage and i have had no trouble getting my rabbits to use it,i usewoody pet litter.bluebird

They can easily bond, and will almost certainlybe happier if they do, but they need to be spayed first. After that, ifthey are bonded, they can live in the same cage. Rabbits are verysocial creatures so they would appreciate the companionship.

P.S. They're beautiful. I have a soft spotfor both Dutches and Rexes. :D Your little one does look a lot like aRex, same face shape and that funy lil' patch of scraggly fur behindthe neck :p It's soooo soft, though.

I thought bunnies live 10 years. Well I guess it depends on a particular bunny or breed.
Your bunnies are beautiful and its great that they are young, curious and seem to be bonded.

Oh wow! They are both so beautiful! I love Lickity's unique markings and blue eyes!

Thanks for all the replies everyone! It's greatto get some info. I love Lickity so much, she just seemed so unique.She has one blue eye and one dark brown eye, it's pretty neat. I wasthinking about getting them spayed when I purchased them, I might aswell if it expands their life with me. :) :) Can I ask why it would bebetter to spay them before housing them together? Just curious as tothe reason behind it.

Thanks everyone!
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer. Glad to have you here, your bunniesare beautiful. As to having them spayed before housing them together -well as they reach their 'teens', which yours will be coming to, theycan show signs of aggression (especially two does), even if they havebeen perfectly bonded before, and they will fight to show who isdominant. Spaying will settle their hormones, and, as said before,prevent them getting uterine cancer and giving them a longerlife - Jan

Elf mommy,

You cropped those to look so cute! I think I like the second one the best.

Thank you for all you input everyone! You'll be seeing me around here for sure; I'm so glad I found this forum!
Jennifer

Hi Again, Jennifer, :)

There is a post called "A Cheat Sheet for Rabbit Care." It might beback a page or two, but in it, you'll find a link of a conversation wehad here about litterbox training.

You'll also find some websites in there that I know you'll enjoy.

Your babies are Beautiful; so healthy and strong looking. Their names are adorable.

Certainly glad you found us.

:)

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
There is a post called "A Cheat Sheet for Rabbit Care." It might beback a page or two, but in it, you'll find a link of a conversation wehad here about litterbox training.

Could we keep that post stickied to the top? It gets a lot of use andit would make it alot easier to find if it was in the sameplace all the time.

~Christine~

Latest posts

Back