Aha! The Date Is Here...!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StickyBird

Reaction score
Hiya thereeveryone! Well, today's the day! I'm soooooooooonervous.... I dropped him off this morning after I made himeat a nice big breakfast (okay, so I didn't really make him eatit, he was doing a pretty good piggy job of his own). Thevets said he should be ready to pick up at about 2:00 this afternoon(that's Pacific time for me). I gave them my cell number incase they need to get ahold of me, and I went to the store yesterdayand got some Mint, Parsley, and a little bit o' Broccoli. Andof course I have some vanilla in case he won't drink. I alsomade sure my supply of oats was plentiful. And if all elsefails, I have a Banana just waiting to be used as a lure for bunnieswho won't eat.

I'm at school right now (ah thecollege computer lab), and I brought the big eraser that Umbra chompeda chunk out of a while back with me for goodluck.;)

My this is going to be aloooonnnggg day... Anyway, I'll let you guys all know how itgoes after I get him home this afternoon! Wish himluck!

--Melissa and Umbra (currently atthe vets, and clueless as to what's going on)

Hi Melissa!

How's the patient? How's the nurse (you)? I'm sure everything wentwell. Poor lil Umbra. He's a soar little guy tonight. I was thinkingabout you yesterday because I knew this was coming up today. Youmust've been a nervous wreck. Good Job, though! That'll add some yearsto his life and take away some frustrations.

I'm praying for his speedy recovery. Do keep us posted as to how he'seating and drinking. I love that little fella like my own.

-Carolyn

Thanks forreplying Carolyn! Would have posted back sooner, but I didn't get achance to go on the Internet until now. Well, picked him up at about2:30ish, and the poor little guy looked pretty out of it. It seemed allhe wanted to do was sit and close his eyes. At first he wanted nothingto do with food. About a half hour after being home though I got him toeat some mint and a small bit of oats. An hour or so later I fed him asmall handful of oats, and a good deal of mint and parsley. Beforedinner (I ate around 7:00) he seemed a bit more alert and gave me somebunny kisses!

As of right now, I only really have two concerns. One is his waterintake. As some might recall, Umbra's first visit to the vet ended withhim refusing to drink water for almost a day. The same seems to begoing on now. But I'm not too concerned. After all, this is his firstnight back from surgery, and he is eating plenty of greens, which havesome water in them. So that's good. My other concern is his eyes. WhenI got him back from the vets and was driving him home, I noticed thathis eyes were more watery than usual. In fact, the fur around them waseven wet looking. It's gotten a bit better in the past few hours, butit still has my full attention. Other than those two things though, I'dsay things are going rather well! Thanks to all who gave/are givingsupport! I'll let ya' all know how he's doing tommorrow!

--Melissa and Umbra

:DHere is hoping his water intake is back to normal by now, and you guys are doing okay

Cher, Jezebel and Jade (whom, Iam sure have their lil toes crossed for a speedy recovery for Umbra)

Sounds like everything went very well! Aslong as Umbra is eating greens, don't be overly concerned about him notdrinking his water. You can also offer small apple pieces andgrated carrot for additional moisture.

The wetness around the eyes isn't unusual. They should be fine over the next couple days.

Pam

Hi Melissa!

I'm glad Pam said that the eyes being watery isn't unusual. Iwould think it may have something to do with the anesthesia, but it'sonly a guess. That's amazing how quickly the little guy waswilling to eat after having gotten home. And to give youbunny kisses?? Tsk...what a Love! Trying to makeyou feel better seeing that you're upset by his pain. He sureis one special little guy. Give him plenty of kisses forme.

I'm sure the eating will follow and as Pam said, give him treats withsome moisture, celery, carrots. Just found out this weekendthat koalas don't drink; they get their water from eucalyptus treeleaves which are comprised of 50% water.

Please do keep us posted how his progress is today. I'mthinking a lot about the two of you. Good job for being braveand getting through this. Nothing but good times and blue skies ahead!!

-Carolyn

Well, later lastnight he began to eat a bit of his hay, which I liked, since he hadbeen just eating greens and a tiny bit of oats. So I decidedto keep him off of the veggies for the night, and see how he did withjust oats and hay. He ate about half of the hay I had placedin his cage, and of course ate up the oats like there was notommorrow. ;)

His eyes look a little better, andI'm glad to hear that it's not unusual. He also drank alittle bit of water overnight, and I'm going to see if he drinksany more this morning. If so then I'll ease up on the greensfor sure, but if not I'll probably have him eat some more of them (I'msure he won't have a problem with that). This morning he hadsome oats and pellet food for breakfast, and I saw him chowing down onhis hay when I placed him back in his cage.

I have another question though;about how long will it take for him to heal? Will he justknow it himself? Because he seemed to have no problem withhopping around my room this morning. Though he didn't go onmy bed (I wouldn't have let him anyway) nor on top of the stuffedanimal pile, he was actually quite peppy. I'll probably justmake him take it easy for the next few days and see how it goes fromthere. =)

Oh, and thanks to all you guysthat replied; it's nice to have so much support! My familyhave all been really concerned about him too, and even my friends atcollege (one of whom even works at the Vet I took him to) have beenasking me about him. Well, I'll let you guys know how he'sdoin' later tonight.

-- Melissa and Umbra

Hi Melissa,

So glad to hear that the little guy is coming around. Theysay it takes a few days for a male to recover from thesurgery. I found that to be true of Tucker. Withinabout3 or 4days of his operation, he seemed to havelittle physical restrictions left due to thesurgery. It was probably more like 4-6 weeks that Isaw that his personality had shifted to being a bit more mellow andloving. Umbra's always seemed to be a lovebug from the firstpost I read from you.

Sounds like you're right on top of it and he's getting the best care inthe world. Give that little monster kisses for me, and I hopehe's getting in trouble by the end of the day...always a sign offeeling better!

Thanks for the update and keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Glad to hear how Umbra is doing today -- thanks for keeping us updated.

He needs to be moving around, however, should not overdo his physicalactivity. (Running and doing "binkies" would be a little muchfor this week)

Pam

Tucker definitely wasn't binkying within the first3-4 days! No doubt about that. He was slowlyhopping, but I could see improvement every day. I should'veclarified. He didn't "race" for at least 10 days, I knowthat.

-Carolyn

Heh, well Umbradoesn't seem to care about pain I guess, because he was more thanwilling to race around this morning... I felt bad to try andstop him, but I guess a mom's gotta do what a mom's gottado... He drank some of his water overnight, which was greatcompared to his drinking no water since he got home! He seemsmuch more enrgetic than yesterday, and I've rarely seen him sitting inhis cage with that "ugh... this is horrible" look that he hadbefore. He's been eating all his hay and ate up his pelletsthis morning, so it looks as if things are finally getting back tobeing normal. He even began chewing at the carpet thismorning! What a rascal... The first time he chewedon it this morning I was like, "Aww... you're feeling so much betteraren't you?", but then as he did it the third time I was more like,"Okay... now you're just feeling toogood...!"

--Melissa and Umbra

It's hard to keep a good man down!

I'm thrilled he's raisin cane again.

How's the patient doing today? Just checkin in on our little Umbra.

Latest posts

Back