Litterbox training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dawn,

Yes, my rabbit does that too. They do tend to poop whenthey're excited, and they do it to mark their territory. Theyalso don't always have the control over their muscles that we'd likethem to have. :?

-Carolyn

I changed over to critter litter its a white claylitter that is safe for them. I have noticed ( im using the care freshkinda paper like litter/bedding) that he eats his bedding and hesometimes climbs into his litter pan and eats the bedding im using forlitter to...im hoping this will change his habbits...he still isntusing his litter pan to poop just to urinate....im hoping this goesaswell as pottytraining my kids went lol.Oh yeah im also investing in a water bottle :)

The main thing about Litterbox training is that ifyou don't catch their mistakes while they're doing it, it will beharder for the rabbit to make the connection as to what's good andwhat's not so good.

-Carolyn

Hello Everyone!

My name is Sophia and I recently adopted a bunny, her name isPepper. Atleast I am assuming Pepper is ashe. I have lurked around on this forum for a few days andhave gained some interesting tips.

So thank you all.

I am trying to litter train Pepper, and have purchased Critter Litteras well. I am happy to say that she has already peed in it.:D If it continues I will be the happiest Bunny owner in theworld. lol

Oh btw, what type of "Pooper Scooper" are youusing? I try using my Kitty Scooper and Pepper'sdroppingsjust go right thru as well. This isstarting to frustrate me...I want to keep her cage as sanitary aspossible, but at the same time I want to be cost effective.Any and all advice is welcomed and VERY appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!

Sophia

I also bought a pooper scooper and his poops fallthrough it :( So i got a old spoon ( i know it sounds gross) and everya.m. i use that to kinda clean his cage the best i can then put hispoops in his box so he knows where to do his business. Also afterhaving him out running around ill put him right in his litter pan andif i also see him going potty outta the pan i lift him up and put himin there then praise him..there are other threads on here like i thinkcarolyn said if you get him / her to just pee in there thats greatprogress.....i dont thinkhe (my baby)will ever be100% litter trained

Welcome CutieonTwo!

Greetings Newmommieof4!

Anything will do to scoop the poop. You don't have to have a scooperpooper. They have smaller grid ones at pet supply places. Look in theareas of gerbels, etc. A spoon will do too.:) I like the popper scooperbecause I can just push the poops in without picking them up. Somepeople love their dust vaccuums. I think I may be treating myself toone sooner or later!

Newmommieof4, 100% litter trained, I doubt. It can happen for theurine, but rarely does it happen with the poops. :? (I'm glad God madethem easy to clean up.) It's a drag, I know.

The younger the rabbit, the less control they have over their bodilyfunctions. If the rabbit isn't fixed/spayed, they also feel a strongerneed to mark their territory.
The more time you invest in helping her build good habits, the quickershe'll catch on. You may want to start in one room and let her get usedto that and train her there before expanding her space.

Rabbits do learn through encouragement. Aggressiveness will only breakthe bond of trust that a rabbit has. Be gentle, loving, and consistentand your little ones will respond.

I just have to reiterate that if you don't catch the mistakes whilethey're happening, the training process will go slower. When you seethat little tail go up, motion to her to go in the litterbox. When shegoes in, reward her with cheers and a treat. When the training is over,you won't have to give a treat, she'll do it, but in the beginning,treats help to know that it's a good thing to go in the box.

Rabbits won't use a dirty litterbox, so be sure that you keep themclean. I rinse my pans out with white vinegar because rabbits can besensitive to the chemicals/smells of cleaning products.

-Carolyn

Thanks so much for the info...

This may sound silly but to female bunnies mark their territory as well?:?

You bet they do, CutieofTwo!

Unspayed females can be downright nasty about their territory. It's notrecommended to put a male into a female's cage to breed because somewill tear the male apart with how possessive she is about her place.Most often, it's recommended to put the female into the males cage toavoid this.

-Carolyn

Bumping this up for a new reader.

Do you know where your bunnies' poops are?

-Carolyn

Hi Pamela227,

*laughs*

Lucky You!

My rabbit's poops are there, and there, and there, and there, ....

Just kidding. He's being good: Tonight! Tomorrow's another day. He gets it right for the most part.

-Carolyn

you know, this is something imeant to ask you guys about. before batman started humping, he wasgetting really good about using his litter box. not every poop wouldmake it in, thats understandable, but he would hit it when he could& almost always peed in it. but then he started pooping/peeingeverywhere all the time & hes still doing it. do you think illhave to re-train him, or that its just a territorial thing and afterhis hormones calm down hell go back to normal?

It will takes 3-4 weeks for Batman to behormoneless. Mine will even regress if I move the furniturearound. I think they use their poops as weapons when they are angered.Bunty wunty was mad as a hornet because I put her in. My husband had afriend over and we were eating. He put his wine glass on floor in frontof her cage abd she went on her second level and pushed them down inhis drink. I played it off by grabbing his glass saying I had torefresh all the drinks. Bunty was sitting on her shelve laughing andlooking so innocent

LOL bunty!! Good thing you caught it in time!

Oreo is pretty good about not going while she's out of her cagesometimes one or 2 will fly out with her when she jumps out but otherthan that she's a good bunny. I swear sometimes if i have her out for along time & she's gotta go that she does a 'potty dance' to letme know that she's gotta get back in her cage lol and as soon as i putthe cage in her pen she darts in and heads straight for her corner!:D

~pam

My Jack does that too...I've just been picking upthe droppings and putting them in the litter box. He's slowlygetting the clue where to go...but sometimes he misses :)

~Baska~

Hi Folks,

I'm just bumping this up for newbunnyowner.

:)

-Carolyn

Okey dokey stupid ? 101 here lol...is "bumping"up a thread as in if it was on page 2 you make a post to move it tolike number one or two etc...on the firstpage?!

Latest posts

Back