Bald bunny - NOT beautiful!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorinterp

Reaction score
:( Well, I have a fairly new littlebunny - one of a litter I rescued when they were about 1-2 weeksold. He doesn't look like any of the other bunnies in thelitter, and is about 1/3 their size! He was the only one withthe mini rex gene - really fuzzy fur and those frazzled lookingwhiskers. He also is soooo tiny but has these HUGEears! Wish I had a picture to post, but maybe will be able tolater...

When I caught him his eyes were just barely open, unlike his littermates. he also had an unusual bald spot on the very top ofhis head (so my son named him "grampa" even tho he is onlyabout7 weeks old now!) As timehasgoneon, he started losing more and more of hishair. I was very worried as it is cold here atnight. The mom had abandoned her babies and escaped her cage(i had caught her too) so I put the 3 babies in with another mother whohad had 7 babies at about the same time. I also was worriedthough, if he had fur mites it might spread to the other bunnies in mybarn:(

We went to the vet this past week and he found no sign of mites - whew!and also no sign of anything else wrong. He says it is likelyjust a genetic anamoly and I may want to start my own line of "hairlessbunnies" Ha!! (not too attractive though!)

I'm wondering if any one else has experienced this or if you have ideason how to care for him... The vet told me I needn't put anything on himlike cream or anything cuz it might aggravate his sensitive skin,etc. He's just so scrawny lookin and so homely... Itell him he's a special little bunny cuz he's so unique - but don'tknow if he believes me (smiles) ;)

I know he is eating ok cuz that is the only little part of his bodythat has any roundness- his tummy. So ugly he'scute. I've brought him inside now to live in an indoor cagewith a couple of my other babies. He likely will stay anindoor bunny- can't be havin him get sunburn and all that now, canwe?

Any ideas and encouragement would be appreciated-

Thanks! fromLori's Bunny Barn ( and "grampa", too)

Welcome Lori,

What an absolute God Send you were for Grampa. Many people wouldn't'vetaken him because of his looks, but you saw right through that. Youobviously have a very deep love and a big heart.

I don't have anything to add to what you already had stated. You'regoing to keep him inside, which I do think is better to since his furcan't protect him for the weather.

I couldn't be happier for Grampa. He found his family and he's onelucky rabbit. I'm sure you'll have many laughs over his personality andbeing raised in your family, I know he'll get all the love and returnit to you tenfold in his own special way.

Congratulations on adopting this beautiful baby boy. I was very touchedby this post. So glad to have you with us on this board.

-Carolyn

I've heard of this happening in Mini Rexlines. There are a number of "hairless" genes. Someare born completely bald, others loose their fur later. Yourssounds like it is either a hairless gene, an underlying health problemcausing the fur loss, or a hereditary disorder linked to hair loss.

Good luck with the little guy! He sounds adorable : )

Pam N.

aww, how cute! i used to have hairlessrats-they were the ugliest things but i thought they were just lovely.and carolyn is right, you are a godsend. had he been at a breeder, hemay not have even made it to the pet store. :((not to say allbreeders are evil, but you know...) anywho, send akiss from me to little grampa!

It sounds like "Grandpa" couldn't have fallen intobetter hands! He needs a caring family and one that will love himdispite odd looks. I for one perhaps wish I had one like that! Perhapsallergies wouldn't be quite so bad! lol, good luck with the little guy.

Hi Lorinterp,

How our little beauty doin?

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back