Pam.....Buck....Carolyn....Any Ol' Bunny Guru

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaspberrySwirl

Reaction score
I was reading something about worming in another post. As far as worming and vaccinations and all the other "stuff", when a bunny is an only bunny and isn't exposed to any others, what kind of stuff needs to be done and when? It truly never occurred to me to worm Sebastian. I've never wormed any of my animals unless I saw signs of worms. I'm running across more and more posts where I see you suggest meds and things to have on hand or things to do that I never thought of. Do you have a "basics" post somewhere that covers the necessaries? I'm not really interested in reading a "rabbit manual" but if there are key things I need to be doing on a regular basis to keep him healthy then I want to make sure I'm doing so.

Raspberry

There are no approved vaccines for rabbits in the US. Pinworms are very common. You can have a fecal float or tape test done at the vet's to check for signs of worms. I advise regular worming for show/breeding animals --especially those that travel a lot and are exposed to other rabbits. Regular Ivomec treatment can be helpful to older rabbitswho would bemore prone to pathogens and parasites. Periodic cleaning of the ears with an ear mite medication will also help to prevent future problems.

Pam

Dear Heart,

In the post above about future issues of Rabbits Only magazine, there is a suggested first aid kit for rabbits.

Follow Pamnock's advice, have those things on hand so that we can patch things over in an emergency until little mon can get to a vet, and the rest, leave in God's capable hands.

-Carolyn

Eye rinse also comes in handy as well as a product called "Wonder Dust" which quickly dries and heals wounds.

Pam

My "basics" are: weigh, viusally inspect,manicure each bun once a month and record the stats and/or any pertinent information noted. Treat for any condition noted,but I have never needed to treat for worms.

I have a fairly large tool box, within which I keep grooming tools,Ivermectine, Listerine, Bag Balm, Peroxide, Q-Tips, Stytpic powder,syringes, etc. I have a few rabbit recommended substances like Acid 4-Pak and Procaine Pen-G, but it has run out of date, without ever being used, so will have to be discarded. Tool box keeps everything in one spot, yet it is portable.

Buck

We have an Atwoodsclose by, they are like a mini version of Tractor Supply. Is that the kind of place you find those kinds of supplies? For that matter does Tractor Supply have that stuff? "Ivermectine, Stytpic powder, Acid4-Pak and Procaine Pen-G, ear mite medication, Eye rinseand Wonder Dust"

Thanks!

PS- It just occurred to me that I'm going to have to sneak out to buy my bunny kit! :shock:My hubby already gives me a hard time that I make an additional stop for greens during grocery shopping, Sebastian's supplies and treats have taken over some of the precious little space in our kitchen cabinets,not even to mentionhis priceless space in the garage for the new bag of hay! He was home early from work yesterday and went with me to pick up Sebastian's little girl from school...I thought he was going to swallow his tongue when I got into the car with Sebastian! I said "What? He likes to go get her." He's so cute. He lays across my chest and watches out the car window until she gets into the back seat and then he scrambles over my shoulder so she will hold him! :)

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
He's so cute. He lays acrossmy chest and watches out the car window until she gets into the backseat and then he scrambles over my shoulder so she will hold him!:)

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
We have an Atwoods close by,they are like a mini version of Tractor Supply. Is that the kind ofplace you find those kinds of supplies? For that matter does TractorSupply have that stuff? "Ivermectine, Stytpic powder, Acid 4-Pak andProcaine Pen-G, ear mite medication, Eye rinseand WonderDust"
Might have some of it, particularly Ivermectine horse paste and maybe some of the others. I often buy online from rabbit supply houses like DeMar, Bass, and the like. Pam has some links to such on her website, or you can query "Rabbit Supplies" with an Internet search engine.

Online shopping often proves to be time-effective in that I am not running all over Robin Hood's barn on a quest for items. Here in NJ, where you can't make a left turn(LOL),getting around can be problematic and very time consuming, adding to the frustration if you don't find an item. Costs,after shipping, but no sales tax, often work out to be comparable. It just take a little more patience waiting for the item(s) to arrive.

Buck

Not sure if TSC would have all of those things,but they'll certainly have some. I know they have the Ivermectin. Give them a call.

In addition to the list I copied from the 'topics in future issues' post, I'd also add an antibiotic cream to the list like Neosporin, oran herbal ointment found at a health store.I've also added Tetracyline to my list of needs in my own kit as Pamnock had mentioned it in the sick rabbit post.

A RABBIT'S FIRST AID KIT:

Ace Bandage
Scissors - small and large
Tweezers
Cotton Pads
Hydrogen Peroxide
Preparation H (sore hocks)
Nutri-Cal (caloric supplement)
Ivermectin (for parasites)
Syringes/eye dropper
Mineral oil
An Eye Wash
Kaeopectate
Cotton balls
Q-tips
Toenail clippers
Thermometer
Butterfly closers
Bandage Tape

...etc...

-Carolyn

Like Buck, I prefer the on-line shopping because most of the local places around me don't have vaccines (for the cat& dog), syringes or other common rabbit meds. I find that I canpurchase theNutri Cal in bulk on-line far cheaper than locally. (Our vet charges $12 for 1tube!!!). I also periodically pick up supplies at rabbit shows.

I've purchased a lot of supplies from Da-Mar's in the past http://www.damars.8m.com/

But I shop around to find the cheapest prices and shipping.

Pam

Carolyn wrote:
A RABBIT'S FIRST AID KIT:

Ace Bandage
Scissors - small and large
Tweezers
Cotton Pads
Hydrogen Peroxide
Preparation H (sore hocks)
Nutri-Cal (caloric supplement)
Ivermectin (for parasites)
Syringes/eye dropper
Mineral oil
An Eye Wash
Kaeopectate
Cotton balls
Q-tips
Toenail clippers
Thermometer
Butterfly closers
Bandage Tape
word of caution Kaeopectatenow containsaspirin.This was addedearlier this year I believe, it was recent, we had signs uparound the vet office warning people of this change.

What she said Gabby!

[align=left]
whiterabbit.gif
[/align]
THANK YOU!

-Carolyn

Gabby:
word of caution Kaeopectatenow containsaspirin.This was addedearlier this year I believe, it was recent, we had signs uparound the vet office warning people of this change.

The non-aspirin salicylate (subsalicylate)that replacedattapulgitein Kaeopectate hasbeen found to be beneficial in the treatment of rabbits (within proper dosage ranges),but can possibly be dangerous for use in cats &dogsthat aresensitive to products that contain aspirin and other salicylates. Willow branches also contain salicylates, often given to rabbits as a natural pain reliever.

Pam

Thanks Pamnock for that note.

[align=left]
thumper02.gif
[/align]
[align=left]-Carolyn[/align]

pamnock wrote:
Gabby:
word of caution Kaeopectatenow contains aspirin.This was addedearlier this year I believe, it was recent, we had signs uparound the vet office warning people of this change.

The non-aspirin salicylate (subsalicylate)that replaced attapulgitein Kaeopectate hasbeen found to be beneficial in the treatment of rabbits (within proper dosage ranges),but can possibly be dangerous for use in cats &dogsthat aresensitive to products that contain aspirin and other salicylates. Willow branches also contain salicylates, often given to rabbits as a natural pain reliever.

Pam
it was warned that it could be used but thatmultiple doses should not be given. This was THat is why I posted it, to know there has been a change in the ingredients.

I think you both are on the same page.

Both are aware that the medicine has changed and both would agree that dosages must be carefully rationed, no?

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
I think you both are on the same page.

Both are aware that the medicine has changed and both would agree that dosages must be carefully rationed, no?

-Carolyn

Most certainly Carolyn! :)

Here's a link for the wonder dust (basically a big container of styptic powder) awesome for drying and healing large wounds:

http://www.fetlock.com/store/detail.cfm?ItemID=594

Piperazine wormer and other rabbit meds. are carried by DaMarshttp://www.damars.8m.com/

Pam

I order my dog & cat vaccines throughpetmeds.com you can also get prescription meds with a scriptfrom you vet.

Pam

Latest posts

Back