Pet store inadequacies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mom2many

Reaction score
Just a thought here, someone mentioned not to buytheir bunnies from a pet store since the pet stores don't take propercare of them. Is it just me or is that a trend with petstores!! As a reptile keeper I honestly can not walk into apet store without feeling nauseous. There are always animalsthere that are not being cared for properly, not in clean conditionsand the staff are giving out misinformation to potential buyers inhopes of a fast sale..... I have even seen animalsmislabled, wich could lead to the death of the animal as the buyer isalmost always naive about the animal and takes the word of the petstore employee as gospel. In one case they had chinesewaterdragons labled as water monitors (wich are illegalhere!), andanerythristic corn snakes as black rat snakes(also illegal here!) I corrected them and they changed it butit is frustrating that they are selling things and supposedlycaringfor animals and they don't even know what theyhave!! We get countless animals brought to our society ondeaths door because the owner was following the pet storesadvice. Are your pet stores as bad as ours??

Indeed pet stores are as bad here too. Ask any vetand they will not recommend buying a pet from one. Here they starve theanimals so they think people have food for them and seem friendly, thismay lead to agression problems. Not to mention the health of the animalthey don't take into consideration, how many times have you seenrabbits sitting in cedar shavings? I think it's sickening and refuse tobuy anything from a pet store that has pets in the store also, though afew up here run adoption programs through the SPCA, which I think is awonderful idea! And pet store workers generally don't know enough tocare for these pets nor do they know enough to inform possible buyersof animals. A few might,but not all.

Laura

Many of the chain pet stores are the worst,some ofthe privately owned are ok or at least better.What makes me sick isthat they are selling 4 week old bunnies and saying they are dwarfswhich they are not. then when they weigh ten lbs the owners are notwanting them.bluebird

Some of the pet stores here are like that too,especially the ones located inside malls it seems. I always go into thepet store to look at the puppies and one time I went in and the fishsection there were dead fish on the floor that hadn't been cleaned upyet, some ppl didn't see them & had stepped on them. No ideahow they got there, guessing they jumped out, but still.. not very goodconditions. They were still there about10 mins later when Iwas on my way out, I told thewoman behind the register& she got someone to come clean itup.. who knows howlong it had been there before I saw it and howlong it wouldhave been there if I hadn't said anything!

I got my bunny at a small, family owned pet store whoseownersare alsorabbit & dog breeders.. theplace was emaculate and so were the pets! They also took the time toexplain about different breeds, what sizes they would be when fullgrown, and how to take care of them which I liked a lot since mostplaces only care about making a sale. Wish more pet stores would putthe emphasis on the pets instead of the money!

~pam

Both my rabbits came from Pet Stores and they'reboth what they said they were supposed to be. Megan's a female dwarfmix and Peppy is a male dwarf mix. They're both beautilful healthyanimals. So,...I guess it all depends on the store I guess....

Latest posts

Back