Fly Strike

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TootWittleFuffyTail

Reaction score
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-12/fly-strike.html

Here's a link to HRS to tell what I'm talking about.

Up until a week ago, my well taken care of bunny, Toni, was taken ill with a stone. Miraculously she passed it, and was finally able to gopotty. Well, that's when the real trouble started. We almost lost her with the stone, but now we (my mom and I) have found fly larvae crawling through her tail fur AND skin. I hope it's not too late. I've had 2 rabbits before her and never had a problem like this. I was shocked. And I've only seen one fly buzzing here, only one. Has anyone here ever dealt with anything like this before? Any advice?

Annie

Welcome to the forum Toot. :dude:

If it was me, I would take the rabbit to the vet right away considering what you've described.

I hope it's not too late too. I'll pray for Toni.

-Carolyn

TootWittleFuffyTail wrote:
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-12/fly-strike.html

Here's a link to HRS to tell what I'm talking about.

Up until a week ago, my well taken care of bunny, Toni, was taken illwith a stone. Miraculously she passed it, and was finally able to gopotty. Well, that's when the real trouble started. We almost lost herwith the stone, but now we(my mom and I) have found fly larvae crawlingthrough her tail fur AND skin. I hope it's not too late. I've had 2rabbits before her and never had a problem like this. I was shocked.And I've only seen one fly buzzing here, only one. Has anyone here everdealt with anything like this before? Any advice?

Annie
Hello Annie,

it only takes one fly to create drastic problems for a rabbit. Youwill have to getevery maggot [fly larva] off of your rabbit. You mayhave to pick them off but you can wash most of with Hydrogen-Peroxideand water. If there are open wounds they must be cleaned and treated.Any manure should be removed to a compost pile some distance from therabbitry. If the rabbit has loose stools this should be corrected ASAP.You must keep ontop of this situation. Left untreated and or cared forcould easily be a death senence for your rabbit. The task is not apleasant one but must be done. I would then implant some sort of flycontrol. Wether they are those sticky Fly strips or any other fly-trapdevise that you can come up with. I use A spray called "Revenge" in thesummer months. Sprayed down the aisles with doors closed for app. 15Min. and the flys are gone and stay gone for a few weeks or more. SorryI could not be of more help. I hope this solves your problem.

Dennis,C.V.R.

P.S. You have to be fast and complete when dealing with fly strike, asit becomes fatal quickly for your rabbit as you know by now.

A bit of Vanilla in their water can help to keep flies away. (Seewebsite link in post entitled: Cheat Sheet for Rabbit Care), Granted,treatment is necessary for Toot, but in the future, you might keep itin mind. I'd drape the area with fly strips.

I hope you she'll be okay. Poor little thing. I'll be thinking and praying for you. Let us know how it works out.

Thank you for your concerns. She's been cleanedoff since last night, and we've been trying to keep her cool, so as tokeep more eggs from hatching. The sweet little thing got eaten rawaround her tushy area and now it's trying to heal. I can't afford thevet, which breaks my heart....:(

Annie

Hi Toot,

Do the best you can. Keep the area and her litterbox clean. I don'twant to alarm you but there may be more larvae or eggs that you havenot seen, which is why I suggested you get to the vet to detoxify yourbunny and deal with the shock. Maggots not only cause damage byburrowing into flesh, but they release toxins that cause death.

I will keep you and your little buddy in my thoughts and prayers.

-Carolyn

I've got her cooled down, here area extra clean,gone over her tail area with a fine-toothed-comb, and tryingmy best to keep fluids going. When I got up this morning she was alittle lethargic, but since she's cool now, and I'm doingeverything I possibly can, she's acting like herself, grooming herself,running to her cage when she has to potty, and the affected area isn'tred anymore. It's a nice and healthy pink, hallelujah!:D Ihope my baby will be alright. With God all things are possible. :)

Thanks again for your support and praying through this! I really needed it.

Keep up the good work!

I'll definitely keep up the thoughts and prayers.

-Carolyn

P.S. You might consider getting a mesquito netting and putting it up around her cage. It's very inexpensive and effective.

Not only must you be viligent in keeping her area clean, you'll alsoneed to address further infestation or exposure to flies at this point.Make sure you keep the manure picked up.

Thanks for the netting suggestion. I'll do mybest to get one. And believe me, I'm keeping watch over her tail and sois my mom. She's just as worried as I am.

Annie

Annie,

If you can get some NutriCal, which is a dietary supplement, it mayhelp. You can purchase it at a feed supply or feed store for only about$5. It would help boost her immune system, keep her appetite strong, aswell as give her the extra nutrients she may need.

I'd also suggest you check the herbal remedies for rabbits website at:http://islandgems.net/herbalremedies.html It's stressful on the rabbitand perhaps a little comfrey or other herbs that you can get your handson might help a bit. Never know, but it wouldn't hurt to look at thesite.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Actually, I already have dietary supplements. Ithink they may be another factor in her feeling better. They're calledKaytee(Brand) Yogurt chips, berry blend. They say that they'refortified with protein, fat, fiber, moisture, and vitamins.

I'll takea look at the herbal remedies site. Thanks Carolyn! :)

Hi Toot,

The Yogurt Drops you speak of is definitely not on the samelevel as NutriCal. Actually, I only give them to my rabbits as treats.They contain a lot of sugar in them, so you have to be careful with howmany you give them. I don't give my little ones any more than one aday, and sometimes not even that. Sugar isn't good for their digestivesystems.

The NutriCal is much more medicinal and 10x better for your rabbit andwhat it needs right now. It's a 'high calorie dietary supplement' usedmainly for cats and dogs, but people give it to horses and when arabbit is gets older or is going through a difficult time such asyours, or goes off its feed, it's very helpful in keeping the rabbit'snutrient counts up. Trust me, the Yogurt Drops do nothing of the sort.I can appreciate why you say that, but they're no healthier for arabbit than a slice of chocolate cake would be for us.

I hope you look into it. The NutriCal is known to help boost immunesystems and people who's rabbits have gone off their feed for differentreasons have kept their rabbit alive with the NutriCal because ithelped the rabbit to stay nourished. You only need a small dose for therabbit to benefit from it. I would highly recommend considering it andsharing this thread with your mom.

:)

-Carolyn

That's a cute avatar, Toot.

How's your baby doing?

-Carolyn

Thank you Carolyn:)Well..so far she is doing ok...she got up this morning begging for herusual morning snack...I checked her rump and all seems clean sofar...no worms yet..

I was wondering, would she be dead bynow if a worm had gotten under her skin that we didn't catch? How longdoes it take for those things to kill a bunny?Oh and btw...this isAnnie's mom answering you this morning..she is still asleep so Ithought I would ask...nice to meet you:)

Hi Annie's Mom!

I can imagine how upset you've been. You've and your daughterand your little buddy have been in my thoughts and prayers.

You might be interested in reading through this information.It will cover a number of questions you have.http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html#fly

Thanks for the update. Been wondering how things are going.

-Carolyn

Hi TootWittleFuffyTail's Mom,

My Foo Foo had fly strike last year. Just prior to theinfestation, she was suffering from loose stools and the vet shaved herbutt area a little to keep it clean. Well that's all theflies needed. Fly Strike is a killer and it movesquick. I noticed she was uncomfortable and suspected that shehad it since she was repeatedly trying to scratch herself with norelief. I took her right to the vet and they kept her for twoweeks because one of the wounds was the size of a nickel and thecouldn't stitch it. Anyway, lots of stress and lots of moneylater ($2,000) she came home and I moved her to my basement (she is anoutdoor bunny) for three months (until the first frost) and she didfine. We just had to keep the wounds clean.

I don't want to scare you. I just wanted to share myexperience with you. If you've bunny seems to acting "allitchy" and running around in circles trying to catch her tail, then Iwould suspect there is still a problem.

I'm impressed to hear that you were able to remove the maggotsyourself! Good for you. Keep me posted, I hope allis well.

Thanks.

Donna

Thanks hon...yea we did it ourselves..Annie heldher while I washed her rump with warm water..that brought those buggersto the surface gasping for air..lol!

After that I just grabbed em and flushed em down the sink with thewater constantly running...we'd put her down for a little while whenshe was getting too stressed and let her rest a while and get a drink,then we'd start all over again as soon as we could...after a while shestopped digging herself and relaxed...we checked her all night long..wedidn't get any sleep that night at all..but I think she is ok...I hopeand pray...glad to hear that your bunny is ok too..sorry you had tospend so much on her though...I just hope we got all of them...I can'tafford to go the vets right now..I was laid off from my job and can'tafford to go anywhere at the moment...oh well..such is life Iguess..lol!

Keep on cleaning her and checking her closely daily, Annie's mom.

Will say a prayer that you soon find another job. The threeof you (you, your bunny, and your daughter) will be in my thoughts andprayers.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back