I found one of my rabbits dead

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloaner

Reaction score
I had 2 french lop bunnies- 4yrs old, one of themI found dead this morning in their cage and I have no ideawhy. She was fine last night when I went out to the cage as Ialways do. She was eating, drinking, hopping around......novisual signs that she was in distress at all. It was the mostemotional thing, I never look out my bathroom window when getting readyfor work and this morning I did and realized something was notright. I went out and I knew the closer I got their she waslayed out, stiff as a board. The other rabbit was justsitting their hopping around. I cried and cried, this month Ihave had them 4yrs. I just don't know what happened, therewas no signs that she got hurt or anything. Now what am I todo as far as the other rabbit that has always had her there ascompany. They slept right smack beside of eachother. Part of me feels like if I were to try and get anotherone to put with her would cause problems, simply because they those 2started out together as bunnies from day one. I hope she willadjust without her buddy......I'm just sad today, there is nothingworse than holding something that was so dear to me and she's gone.:(

Oh Sloaner,

I'm so so sorry. :( It's so hard to say whatcould've gone wrong, especially with no signs of sickness or lethargybeforehand.

My heart and prayers go out to you today. Don't beat yourselfup. It was her time. She was lucky she was in yourcare for so long.

Make sure the other little one doesn't have symptoms of sickness, ie.,runny eyes, sniffles, fever -- and give her lots and lots oflove. She'll miss her little buddy, but if she's got youthere to help her along, she'll be okay.

I'm so sorry you had to experience that. You're absolutelyright, there's nothing worse than holding the body of a loved oneknowing that the soul has gone onto Heaven. She'll be waitingfor you on the other side.

Sure wish I had a magic wand that I could wave and take these timesaway for everyone. I hope it brings some comfort to youknowing that we'll all be thinking about you. Again, I'm sosorry. I wish I could help you more than I am.

If you're not familiar with the Rainbow Bridge concept, please read thepoem. It may help to give you another vision as opposed tothe one that haunts you from this morning. The addressis:http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

-Carolyn

Thanks, foryour kind words.It's always nice to hear when you experience something likethat. And yes, I plan to give my rabbit lots of love :)

Hi Sloaner,

You're so on my mind today. I'm not at all concerned that youwon't pour out all your love to the other little one.

If there's anything we can do to help, please let us know.

-Carolyn

I'msorry. It's so hard to have something so loved and lovingjust be gone in a second. And it's always harder to acceptwhen you don't have an explanation for why ithappened.

I've read many stories like yours,with their rabbits all dying from seemngly nothing. I thinkit's safe to say that there was probably something inside that didn'texhibit symptoms. Hopefully she went quickly and without muchpain.

I'm sure your other rabbit will bejust as heartbroken as you. And since you're both grieving,at least you can grieve together. :) Just think of all thehappy times you all shared together. And the Rainbow Bridgeis an excellent place. It makes me both sad andhappy. (An odd combination, no?)

My best wishes to you and your other rabbit!

--Melissa and Umbra

at a loss for words...im so verysorry. my only pets that have died (since i was like 8) were my rats.even though they only lived to be 2 1/2, it was so very hard for me. icouldnt imagine what id do if anything ever happened tobatman.the only thing i can say that might make you feel abit betteris to remember that she had a happy life with you& someone to love her. so very many pets arent so lucky as tohave suchwonderful owners.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss *hugs*Remeber all the good times you've had and know your bun had agreat life andwill always be in a special place in your heartand watching over you. One thing that my parents told me that helpedalot when my dog passed away, was to see it as the bunny was brought toheaven to be your special guardian angel.. I hope that comforts evenjust a little. Cuddle and comfort your other bunny lots..you can getthrough this together. My thoughts & prayers are with you both!

~pam

I'm now feeling so lonely for my rabbit that isnow by herself. Both of my rabbits started out together, andI am wondering if it would be a good idea to get another one to replaceher absence. Although, they were together 4 yrs and therabbit that is left was the dominant one. Then I think howmuch longer does she have, especially now that her buddy isgone. Just mixed decisions, hopefully she can adjust to beingby herself. I spend time with her everyday anyway.I would love to bring her inside but there again, she has been outsidethe whole time and I have CATS inside.

Hi Sloaner,

If you do decide to get another companion for your little one, I'dsuggest you take her to a shelter and allow her to pick her nextmate. They can bring one rabbit in at a time and you can seeif they go after each other or just check each other out.Since she's dominant, you want to be sure that she'll not overpoweranother rabbit.

Some cats do fine with rabbits, but it depends on the cat.Obviously, introduction has to be closely supervised.Changing her environment at this point in the game might upset her asit's another change to deal with. I'm not sure.That depends on the rabbit and how adaptable their personality is.

Chin Up. Your widow has you, so she is surrounded by love and a good home.

-Carolyn

Hi Sloaner,

I know you're in deep mourning over this whole situation and my heartgoes out to you. Let us know what you plan to do when you'vehad some time to think it through. Whatever you make will bethe right one.

In the meantime, spend as much time with the widow as youcan. Has she been eating less? You might wish toput a stuffed animal in the cage with her so she could cuddle up towhen she wishes to. The more petting and attention you giveher, the easier it will be on her to deal with her loss as rabbits areused to a lot of physical contact when they're bonded.

-Carolyn

i am so sorry, i hope u are ok and your otherrabbit. maybe it had a heart attack of ,loud noisesor something. that happend to my cousins rabbit. the rabbit is stillwith you where ever you go i will prey foryou god bless bestwishes

caroline

I, too, and sorry for your loss. We lostone of our favorite bunnies two weeks ago, so I know how terribly youmust feel.

We take comfort in the concept put forth in the Rainbow Bridge thatCarolyn suggested you link to. It feels so right that youknow it has got to be true.

Buck

I am so sorry that you have lost one of yourbunnies. I have had my 2 for about 2 and 1/2 years now and Iknow how sadI would be if something were to happento them. I hope your other bun is doingok, It mustbe feeling lonely after having a companion for the last 4years. I hope the pain has lessoned for you.Although I do not think that kind of pain ever goes completelyaway. Thinking of you. Beckie

Buck, So sorry to hear aboutMaxie. I was not on line much at that time so I didn't get totell you how sorry I was to hear that he had passed. It alsocame so soon after your ordeal with Missy. I do not know howyou keep up with your little heard. I know from your poststhat you take very good care of them. I think you take bettercare of your rabbits than some parents take care of their humanchildren! Your posts show that you put in a lot ofthoughtas to what is best for their health and wellbeing. I have learned a lot from you. Just wantedyou to know thatI was thinking of you. Beckie

Latest posts

Back