Aha! The Date Is Nearing...!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StickyBird

Reaction score
Well, for those of you who know/remember me and my bunny Umbra, I thought it would be nice to say that he shall be getting neutered next Wed. the24! I'm kinda excited and a bit nervous. Like I've said before, I've never had a pet go through any kind of surgery (unless you count being euthanized, which I don't). This should be quite an experience! About how long should it take for the, erm, 'hormonal behaviors' to stop/decrease? I know everybunny is probably a little different, but a nice average number would be nice to know.

--Melissa and Umbra

Melissa,

My experiences with rabbit surgery have been very successful with rapid recoveries. Since bunny may be reluctant to start eatingnormally right away, I highly recommend the use of Nutri-Cal to keep the gut functioning normally and to give the immune system a boost during this time of stress.

If your vet has extensive experience in rabbit surgeries, then everything should go off without a problem.

Good luck! We'll be thinking of you and Umbra : )

Pam

Hi Melissa,

Tucker was fine a few days after his operation. When Umbra first wakes up and first the first day or so after the surgery, he may not wish to eat his hay or pellets. Have some vegetables and herbs for the little one to entice him. If I remember correctly, I had replaced his litter in his litter box with torn up newspaper so that there wouldn't be any irritation or trouble. He'll need lots of R&R and the more he gets, the quicker he'll heal. Keep an eye on his temperature. If he gets a little chilly, it's recommended that you put a towel in the dryer and let it get warm and then put it down for him to lay on. Some rabbits like that, others do not. I'm sure he'll be fine. He'll get plenty oflove and attention from you.

I wish you both the best of luck and will say a prayer, knowing that Mr. Umbra will be fine. Keep us posted on how you both are doing.

-Carolyn

It seemed like it took four to six weeks for the majority of hormonal behaviors to diminish in our bucks. It just seems to go away gradually, like a slow turning down of thermostat, and then one day, practically nothing was left.

Buck

Thanks for the support Pam and Carolyn, you guys are always so nice to talk to. Even if it is still a week away, it feels like it's happening right now! Let's hope Umbra will follow Tucker's example of a quick and event-less recovery! The poor littleguy; he has no idea what's about to happen to him...Nutri-Cal... I believe my vet talked about that a bit. I really should go get some. It would be nice to have in times like this. And I'm going to have lots of oats (he LOVES those... even more than bananas! Which surprised the heck outta me...) and some mint (his favorite of the fruits/veggies he's had so far) available for him when he gets back. I might also try one of two other veggies this week to see if he likes 'em.

Thanks for the info, Buck. I knew it would take a little while; and it's nice to have a ballpark figure. It's not like I want/need immediate response, but I find it good and interesting to know these things (since I am studying as a Biology major=)

Again, thanks for your support!

--Melissa and Umbra

Best of luck to Umbra :D

My Jade 'n' Jezebel will have their little toes crossed for him :) Post after-wards and let us know how everything is please. Being a parent of young'ngs myself, I am interested to know how he is after and how you are too!!

Cher

I just wanted to add that if I were determine when Tucker's personality started to calm down and change after his operation, I'd have to second Buck's note about it taking 4-6 weeks. Tucker certainly was better, in his physical behavior, within a few days of the operation, but for him to become more loving, calmer, and interested in me, it probably did take about 4 weeks. I was hoping that the attitude change happened when he seemed recovered from the surgery, but it seems that the hormones took a bit longer to get to a steady flow.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back