wet belly

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cottontail215

Reaction score
My rabbit is about 12 years old. He lives in my apt. with no cage just a potty area. During the last few days, I have noticed that he was very wet from below his neck to his tail and it smells. He tries to preen himself and makes a clicking noise. He is not eating his regular food; Ispoiled him with people food. It's not his water since that affects only his chin. He's going to the vet on Thursday, can anyone suggest anything.

Thanks Les

It sounds like the old man's age is catching up to him. It's possible he has some loss of bladder control and has either urinated on himself ormay havelaidin it.

Keep him comfortable until his visit to the vet. I always keep some Nutri Cal (dietary supplement) on hand to give to rabbits when they are off their feed. Is he drinking enough? (Dehydration would also be a concern).

You can also use some baby wipes to clean him up a little.

Pam

thanks i don't keep him in a cage my wife hates it but he's forgotten how to use the litter box. he makes a lot on the floor which is really hard to clean. i may be wrong but i don't like animals in a cage, yet maybe it's time i put him back thankswill go to vet thurs.

Hi, I understand how you feel about putting him back in a cage, but this is the thing to do to make everyone, especially your rabbit, comfortable. Hopefully, in the cage, he'll regain his good litter box habits and you'll be able to let him out for short periods of time. I have a similar problem with my NZ. Dancer is not only blind and disabled, he is also incontinent. His chest, legs, butt, everything, was covered in urine and his fur had stopped growing, leaving his skin exposed & red. Being that he and Little-One are bonded, I didn't want to part them by caging him. I didn't think that caging her with him was the right thing to do either. My solution to the problem was/is Puppy training wee-wee pads. I place them under and around his eating area, which is where he was going. Since using them, his fur has grown in and, best of all, he is clean. Walmart sells "Out" puppy pads for $7 (for 32 pads). Moneywise, it's the best buy that I've found.

thank you for your information, the case i use to take him out with is a good cage so i put his stuff in and he is going in to eat and i hope further. it saddens me to hear about sick rabbits, but i am glad yours has someone who cares. I am 55 and have lost a lot of faith in people thank god for good people like you

thanks again
les

Latest posts

Back