something starnge in my oxbow timothy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manda

Reaction score
first off let me ask... has anyone found something in there oxbow timothy hay that most deffinally is NOT timothy hay.

well i just pulled a handful of my 9lb box (almost half empty) to giveto Ryo and most of what i grabed was most deffinally not timothy hay.it was long really thin stragly looking pieces of.... well.... grasslooking stuff. i dont think for a minute it would hurt her, but i amwondering what it was! after looking in my box more i see quit a bitmore of it. i payed for westren cut timothy hay, but 1 fourth of itappears to be some sort of grass!

anyone else ever had a problem like this? should i report it just to benice and make sure they know, or is this to be expected sometimes?

Hey i realised that too. Last time, the timothyhay used to be of those short types withhay tat r soft andnot so many stems. butrecently, theyappear to bevery different from the previous ones. Theyaremorestems instead of leaves and they are very long. I even have to cut itwith scissors to fit it into the hay holder. And their orchard grass isalso very different.The previous bag i got contains hay thatr long n hard ones but the current bag i got, thehay was soshort n so soft.I cant really figure out if thats the correcttype of hay in the hay bag but there definitely is a difference in thequality of the hay. Could it be because of the season?

I've noticed the Oxbow does vary from bag tobag. The last couple I got were full of long stems and therabbits didn't like it at all.

I found bird feathers in the bunnies' cage once anddiscovered it was coming from the hay!

That would be orchard grass. It is fine for them, I bought it as back up when I run out of the others.

Ed

My last box of Oxbowtimothy seemedshorter than normal but basically OK..if you are not satisfied with thehay you can call them and the customer service people can tell you whythe hay is different. I've even asked what the hay is like before Iorder it as I don't want 25lbs. of something dried out. It varies Ithink with the season and weather.

as long as it's not a dead mouse, I think you'll be OK.

I've been warned to check my timmy hay for that sort of thing, so I'm not trying to be funny.

I once found a cut up grass hopper thing andwhen I found all the pieces it was half the size of my thumb (In Kayteealfalfa)! I saw the head in her dish when I went to go dump it out.. Ialmost screamed!

I have had moths from the last order I got. The grass type. There must have been some eggs in it.

Ed

Latest posts

Back