1 droopy ear

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanders3

Reaction score
We just bought a new bunny this weekend from abreeder - she said she is a "rex". We just noticed last nightthat one of her ears is down and the other is up. For thefirst couple of days both ears were up. Has she injured it oris that normal? This is our first bunny - obviously!

Some bunnies just have odd ears! I do not believeit means anything is wrong with them though as my friend has one likethat, it's so adorable.

Sometimes a steady, warm temperature can cause anerect earred rabbit's ears to droop if they have a weak earbase. Most likely it's nothing to be concerned over if therabbit's ear doesn't appear to be bothering it. (Favoring the ear,shaking the head, scratching the ear).

Pam

Thank you for all the responses - they make mefeel better. I was really worried about it. Theysaid her breed was "rex" nothing about lop. And she actuallywas in a garage when we bought her and we have her in the house, so itis warmer than what she is probably used to. She doesn't seemto mess with it, except to clean it, but she's not shaking her head anddoesn't appear to show any reaction (like pain) if you touch it or moveit around. Thank you for all the replies again, we arelearning as we go. This has been a great tool forlearning. :D

Is this what you're talking about? It looks likeshe only has one ear but she just had it down for a bit, now both earsare sticking up straight.

bunny2.jpg

I still can't get over how cute your bunny is!

Sorry, couldn't help myself... ;)

About the one ear thing; Iwouldn't worry about it, but I seem to remember that during summertime,Umbra would consistantly keep one of his ears up (he is a lop, sothey're usually down unless he's listening to something). Iwonder if he was just trying to get cool air on his ears to cool hisbody down?

--Melissa and Umbra

I find whenever my bunny is laying down, or is sleepy, she puts herears back against her head. Really the only time I see them up is whenshe's out and about running around the room, or if she is listening.She's not a lop so her ears don't flop to the side, but she does tendto keep her ears laid back sometimes :)

Monty's ears are most of the time up...tropicalcountries tend to be hotter..especially these days.I usually sprinkledrops of wateron the surface to keep him cool!

Your rabbit could well be a dwarf lop, when lopsare first born they have both of their ears up then later one ear dropsthen eventually both. If you find both have dropped then it isprobabbly a lop, if not then it may well be a rex like first thought.Look through books and websites and check the characteristicas match up.
:)

A number of breeders have crossed the Rex and theLop, so that is also a possibility. One breeder from Ohioworked on a small rex lop for over 6 years and called it the "MiniPlush Lop". A larger version is the "Velveteen Lop", whichhas a certificate of developement through the American Rabbit BreedersAssociation. The Mini Plush Lop does not meet currentrequirments for accepting new breeds, so the Mini Plush Lop will not beconsidered for the Standard.

Pam

we got lucy our rabbit from our local pet store

she is surpose to be a lionhead lop

she has the most amazing ears people say

1 down and the other one just flops about

but we love her for what she is

OUR LITTLE PRINCESS LOOSE SHORT for lucy xxxx

Some rabbits when they are young have a weakerear. When my New Zealand was younger, one of her earsdrooped. Buy the thime she was older, they were bothperfectly erect. I'm sure it will be fine when she is older,even if it doesnt become erect, there is nothing to worry about.

Is it like that all the time? Rabbitswill just put one ear up to listen sometimes. Also, the furon a rex should be all the same length and like velvet, is it?

Ed

Latest posts

Back