O/T Scary insect on curtain

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linz_1987

Reaction score
I was sitting here on the computer last nightand i saw this 'thing' fly past me. Which scared the hell out of mebecause i had never seen anything like it before. Especially inEngland! It was huge! Do any of you have any idea what it is? It was soscary! lol. I am very interested to know what the hell it waslol. After i had taken some pictures, it became rather cute:p So i desided to call it Henry hehe.

Zee, you call them July bugs? Here in Canada wecall them June bugs because they come out in June. Here's a pic of one,Linz....does it look like your new pet? ;)

junebug.jpg

These things come out in the early evening and are attracted to lights.They also lay their eggs in the soil (generally in grassy areas) andthe larvae (we call them 'white grubs') destroy lawns as they mature. Ihave always been terrified of June bugs! I grew up on the east coast,and I remember they used to swarm in the hundreds around light fixturesin the early evening. If they got on your clothing they stuck (and ifone ever got on me all you'd see would be a blur as I broke the speedof sound running away, screaming at the top of my lungs). They werealso much bigger in Nova Scotia than they are in Ontario. I was kindahoping they wouldn't be here when I moved, but...nope...they're heretoo.

All I can say is....YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great when I was a kid.

Loads of us, out on the green, with empty plastic bottles.

Wait for them to come, and then bop them one.

Not very nice I know, but I was only a child.

Bassetluv - They come out in full force in the UK beginning of July until about mid Aug to early Sept

Bassetluv - They come out in full force in the UK beginning of July until about mid Aug to early Sept
Holy cow, you have them around for that long??????And you live to tell about it???? :shock:

***Note to self: NEVER visit the UK in the summer months***

(I am such a huge chicken when it comes to bugs...especially anythingwith a hard shell that can fly...give me a snake or a rat any day!)

Oh, I just remembered something...LOL...about 3 years ago my dad andstepmom came here for a visit, and the family decided to go out foraquiet evening stroll. It was hot, so I had my hair allpulled back in a nice neat clip. We were fine till it began gettingdark, and we happened to walk under a streetlight...suddenly there wereJune bugs everywhere! One managed to get tangled up in my hair and Iyelled, then proceeded to beat myself silly trying to get the dangedthing out. After I did my son and my sister were both doubled overlaughing at me...my nice neat hair was now hanging in knotted clumpsaround my face. But I had the last laugh...I pointed at my son, who wasstill in mid-hysterics, and I said, "Stephen...there's a couple of Junebugs on your back". He didn't believe me at first, but when he managedto turn around and spot them, guess who was the next one to be runningdown the path, screaming like a banshee?? hehehe...payback....

Ive lived in the UK all my life and i have neverseen one before lol. Apart from that one. Yeah it does look like it isa June or July bug, what ever they are called lol.

Heres a picture of it waving at me!

June/ July Bugs ! Miserable little buggers too . heres why

Be out on a casual Motorcycle ride andhave one fly toward the head light , have itmiss watch rider get nearly knockedout by speeding June Bug. Whenthem bugs hit you on an openmotorcycle its Kin to gettinghit by a baseball bat , and hurts just asmuch . I have taken many knotsonthe forhead and blackenedeyes from those bugsriding a motorcycle . certainlynot fun.

OMG! That bug looks so -shivers- creepy.

I am TERRIFIED of anything that crawls.

:shock2:

We have the June Beetles too. But ifit's any consolation, they do not bite. The kids like whenthey shed their outer shells. They are harmless (unlessyou're riding your Harley with out a face mask!)

June bugs HAVE to e the dumnest bugs alive!

That or they can't see! They fly into just about everything out side!

LMBO! But it's fun to watch!

:monkey::monkey::monkey::mrsthumper:

I think I must be the only one here to find bugsneat. As long as they are not in my house, though.Lets just say I had a blast when I took entymology in college!:D

Bugsand me sooo don't get along. I pride myself on being a tough ole girl.Let a bug land on me and Iam screaming like a little girl,running like the wind,crying and trying not to wet myself.Dale and Jeremy always have to come to myrescue becaue I can't even touch abug.

Those June bugs are the worst, they are sticky and get stuck in my hair brrrr shiver, way too gross for me.

Tina

We have these here , theyare called a Dobson fly orHelgamite , they can get over 3 to 4 inches longand have pincers Larger than most insects .they pinch like crazy not to mentionit hurts like blazes , I am not afraidof bugs but let me tell you thefirst time I saw a cloud of these restingon a side of a building Ithought we had been invaded byAliens Run screaming like a little girl ,um we wont even go there LOL >

Female Dobson Fly
dobson1.jpg

I forgot heres thereally screy one its the Maleof same fly

Male Dobson Fly
maledobson.jpg

Iremember when i opened my glasssliding door, this huge june bug BUZZED right into my hair and i raninto my parents room screaming to get it out. I was terrified.

I HATE bugs. They have always creeped me out. Ihad a silver fish crawling on me once, when I noticed it I went runningaround the house like a chicken with its head cut off!

Latest posts

Back