Buns has some diarhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CML54

Reaction score
:(My rabbit is having some loose stools.Ihad to put her back end in the sink and wash her clean. She has had nochange in her diet except first cut hay instead of second cut. I didn'tthink that would be causing the problem. There have been soft stool allover her hay. What can the problem be?

Hi CML54,

Are all the stools soft? Is it happening all day long or intermittently? Is she obese?

Be sure to keep the little one drinking water. You don't want her to become dehydrated.

You might try eliminating the pellets and giving her a good quality hayand rolled oats see if it helps. Don't give her any greens or treats.If she's not better in a day or two, I'd take her to the vet.

It's a sign that something's wrong, not necessarily an illness.Depending upon the situation, diarrhea can be caused by feeding toomany greens, lack of fiber in her diet, stress, wet bedding, cold, adraught and can result in a problem in her digestive system. What typeof pellet feed do you give her?

-Carolyn

P.S. You may have to give her water with a syringe if she's not drinking. Be careful she's drinking and not drowning.

Jade had this problem when she was just a younginso I brought her to the vet along with some "samples" ahhh little dothe Taiwese know what this westerner is carrying in a ziploc in her bageh?? hehe anyhow, the vet took a look under the microscope and thenshowed me on thebig screen tv in thecorner-howdelighful-.....discoverd some living bacteria of theunhealthy variety living in it, he gave her some medicine (sorry, Ican't recall the name) but within two days she was almostback to normal! She herself was not ill, but thebacteriawasinterfering with her digestive process~Thisdoesnt really help at all, except to say that if your change offoodstuffs for your lil one doesnt change the stool, it could besomething minor internally that you yourself can not correct ;)

Buns is drinking water and seems better today. Imade a vet appointment for her in a couple of days.I am going to watchher to see if she's back to normal but if not I will bring her to thevet. Thanks for your help. CML54

Hi CML54!!

My bun has occasional intermittent loose stools as well.Itoccurs every two/three days and lasts for 1-2 hours. As Iobserved it is usually related with him eating more greens (which hesimply adores!!). Otherwise he shows no signs of illness, has normalappetite, drinks water, hops around the house. Try to control your bunsdiet - maybe reduce the amount of greens that she eats. If she'll showothar signs off possible illness - take her to the vet,

Good luck,

Marta

You're absolutely right, Dudisowa.Alot of times diarrehea is caused by a bad diet...too manygreens and not enough of the nutrition that the rabbits need.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back