What happened to my baby rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hray13

Reaction score
Hello,

I am heartbroken. Yesterday evening our almost 6 month old mini lop died. She was fine at lunch time, but when we checked on her on the evening she was completely limp and floppy, had done very yellow wees within the cage (not in litter tray). Can't get the image out of my head :( We took her to the vet immediately but she sadly went upon arrival.

The vet said pneumonia, as she had discharge from her nose and some from her eyes.

Her history...she is a tiny thing, who was hand reered as the mums rejected the litters. We found out a couple of months ago the breeder's bunny had e.coli...the breeder had 2 litters at a similar time so wasn't sure of this was our rabbit's mum or not (sigh). Also the mums didn't feed the babies anyway. We did a course of the treatment for 14 days anyway.

I am wondering if there can be a link between e.coli and pneumonia at all. As the vet said if it was e.coli she wouldn't have gone so suddenly. I am guessing because of her history she has a weak immune system? Could we have done anything different...she often went outside in the run and loved it but was a house rabbit.

Also, I have another 3 year old mini lop to worry about now. They were in the same room but separate cages and didn't meet. My 3 year old is double the size. She was checked over by the vet immediately last night too and all healthy (lungs, nose, eyes and ears). We are keeping a very close eye..I literally woke up every hour and a half in the night to check. I will take her back to the vets for another check up later in the week. We have cleaned the areas in our house.

Does any one have any thoughts or words of advice for me? I am gutted.

Thank you x

Hi so sorry that this happened.We had similiar experience with our bunnies dying suddenly.Three went suddenly one after the other went floppy and died in hours
.Vet told us to separate the last two and vaccinated them against VHD that saved the last two bunnies lives.And we have just got a new addition had him vaccinated straight away

Latest posts

Back