scared for bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magick36

Reaction score
I have five bunnies not an expert but i havelearned alot from the 8 eight years of having bunnies, so last night myneighbor came rushing over to my house because during the thunder stormher bunny got her toes caught in the bottom wire of her cage. We had tocut her toes out of the cage and when i sat her down on the floor inthe living room. she was dragging both of her back legs. hertemp was good and so we rushed her to the vet, i am and was afriad of aback injury. the vet said he did not see any brakes in the legs, backs, hips. The vet sent the bunny home with antibotics and pain meds.saying swelling may go down in a couple of days. any one have anysuggestions what she should do.( just for the record mine was anotheropinion.)

The following information was gleaned from theweb site of noted rabbit breeder and ARBA registrar, Rochelle Cooleyand may be of assistance to you.

"Special Remedy for Hindquarter Paralysis that is not caused by a break in the back

Sometimes a person will go out to the barn and notice that oneof their special rabbits is dragging its hind leg. This doesn't alwaysmean that the rabbit is paralized. It could just be apinched[sic] nerveand faily easy to take care of. Here is a way that you can help arabbit recover quicker from HQ Paralysis when there is no break in theback causing the paralysis....

Treatment for temporary HQ Paralysis - Place the rabbit in a carrierstuffed with hay. Put a teaspoon of Brandy in a 8oz glass of milk inthe rabbits 32oz water bottle and fill the rest of the way with water.This will help calm the rabbit down to a sort of relaxed state ofbeing. The rabbit will still eat and drink. Give the brandy and milkmixture fresh daily for at least 3 days and see if you notice anyimprovement. If you notice some improvement, then continue to give themixture for another 4-7 days or until the rabbit is hopping around backto normal....

I do know that this does work, as it has been tried by a coupleof breeders with100%[sic] success. This remedy also came out of a bookwritten in 1920 "

I believe it is of primary importance to immobilize the bun as much aspossible. Permit feed and water to be accessed by the bunwith as little movement as is possible. Wish everyoneinvolved the best of luck.

Buck

Latest posts

Back