please post. hurry

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight01

Reaction score
the mother just tried to eat 2 of thebabies. thsees r hampsters were talking about. she is sleeping wit theother babies but one baby is elft out all the way on the other side ofthe cage. the babies r 3 days old. can i try and take care of it myself. or should i leave it to die. please hurry. thank you

this first post is like 2 days old, but if i have a problem, go the the last page of this topic.

I know this might sound horrible, but in naturewhen a mother eats her young there is usually something wrong with thebabies and they would have died anyway, so I would let nature takes itscourse.

If you want to try to save the babies, you could put them on a sock ina box with a heating pad under it all to keep them warm. Formilk you could use kitten milk replacer and put a drop at a time onyour finger and let the babies drink it from your finger.I've heard that it is very difficult to nurse hamsters without havinghtem aspirate and die. Best of fortune to you. :stork:

she took it back! it turns out that she wasmoving them. im 15 and know alot about animals, i work at an animalhospital, but this is my first breed. thank you so much. now i knowwhat to do in the future in case this happens. believe it or not, herfood bowl thing thats about 3 inches long was tipped over and their wasa baby under it!good thing my mom turned it over. thanks so much youguys! your great.:)

hehe yea, there so cute, ....yay...i amde abunny friend lol, well im out for the night, its 12:53 and im watchinghalloween 4, ill PM u sometime ^^

ttyl, night

Whew, Glad to hear that you have such good mommythere! I've only had hamsters once, and it was a horribleexperience. I breed the female and did everything I wassuspossed to do. Then I got robbed (air conditioner stolen -unbolted from window) among other things in August! Theresulting heat caused the mom to eat or kill all her babies the dayafter she gave birth to them. :(

Jenniblu wrote:
Whew, Glad to hear that you have such good mommythere! I've only had hamsters once, and it was a horribleexperience. I breed the female and did everything I wassuspossed to do. Then I got robbed (air conditioner stolen -unbolted from window) among other things in August! Theresulting heat caused the mom to eat or kill all her babies the dayafter she gave birth to them. :(
I was wondering is it just hamsters that try to eat or killtheir babies or do all animals do this? After hearing your horribleexperience with hamsters,I don't think I would ever want to havehamsters.

Oh but hamsters are great! I've hadabout 3 litters of hamsters before and it went fine. I only had onethat was born with 3 legs once but it's so much fun having babyhamsters. :)

And that wouldn't happen if you only had 1, it would only be if you bred them of course.

** " was wondering is it just hamstersthat try to eat or kill their babies or do all animals do this? Afterhearing your horrible experience with hamsters,I don't think I wouldever want to have hamsters. " **

Sorry to say it is an all rodent typeanimal thing , and a warm blooded animalthing , Mothers of babies whoare not born right will killand or eat thier offspring , Ihave hampsters mice , rats , and gerbils whoall do the same thing , ofthe worst hampsters are t hefastest to kill the babies with a gerbilrunning a close second, eventhe tiniest amount of stresswith trigger them into killing and eating thebabies , there is nothing youcan do to prevent it, I have also seen them killtheir babeis for no apparentreason other than theyfelt like it.

One thing to keep in mind Hampsters andGerbils make lousy mothers , Ifthey are in the mood they willraise a litter If their notthey will kill the whole litter, Not only that IF they dontfeel the need to breed the Female willalso kill the male as heattempts to breed, NOT a pretty sight andhard to seperate with out beingattacked yourself .

If as you say you know allabout animals surely you knewthis . and theanswers to the questionsyou asked, I would suggestreading up more on hampsters andgerbils and asking alotmore questions before breeding themagain .

Are you breeding hampsters for thepet trade orfor fun ? thereis actually no profit inbreeding small mammals for petstore sale , have youthought how you aregoing to adopt these animalsout ? Do you know as soon asthe fur comes in you have to starthandling them before the eyesopen , and even then there isno guarentee they wont bite you? There is 100 more questionsI could ask but I willlet you think onthese If youhave anymore questions feelfree to PM me .

Pepper, Read what Gypsy says about stress andmotherhood and hamsters. I really believe it was the stressof not having any air conditioning and the resulting heat (85-95degrees F inside) fluctuations that added to the stress. Plusshe probably picke dup on my stress levels - animals and sense thesethings. I had some disappointed potential hamsterownersto explain thethings to, but theyunderstood.

Breeding any animal has its difficulties and things can always gowrong. The best thing you can do is research all you canand prepare for the worst.

Jenni , yes temperaturefluctuations will make a female hampsterkill off her babies , in her mind itsanother preditor and hse willdispatch the situation reather than watchthem die on their own , People wronglythink animals have no feelings ,they couldnt be further from the truth .

Jenniblu wrote:
Pepper, Read what Gypsy says about stress and motherhood andhamsters. I really believe it was the stress of not havingany air conditioning and the resulting heat (85-95 degrees F inside)fluctuations that added to the stress. Plus she probablypicke dup on my stress levels - animals and sense thesethings. I had some disappointed potential hamsterownersto explain thethings to, but theyunderstood.

Breeding any animal has its difficulties and things can always gowrong. The best thing you can do is research all you canand prepare for the worst.
I never had hamsters as a animal and I'm not a potentialhamster owner.The only question I did ask wasif it was justhamstersthat eat or kill their babies or do all animals dothis?.This question was answered for me.I was only asking because I wasjust wondering because I have never owned a female animalandI didn't know that females did that.I don't why you wrotethis post if my question was already answered by Gypsy.The only animalI have is my 2 year old netherland dwarf Pepper who is a male.I didn'tthink my question was going to offend you,but in this post you wrote itsounds like it did offend you and I'm sorry if it did.

Pepper wrote:
I never had hamsters as a animal and I'm not a potential hamsterowner.The only question I did ask wasif it was justhamstersthat eat or kill their babies or do all animals dothis?.This question was answered for me.I was only asking because I wasjust wondering because I have never owned a female animalandI didn't know that females did that.I don't why you wrotethis post if my question was already answered by Gypsy.The only animalI have is my 2 year old netherland dwarf Pepper who is a male.I didn'tthink my question was going to offend you,but in this post you wrote itsounds like it did offend you and I'm sorry if it did.

Pepper, I believe gypsy had you mixed up with the actual hampster owner, Midnight01. Whoops!:)

Rose

rabbitgirl wrote:
Pepper wrote:
I never had hamsters as a animal and I'm not a potential hamsterowner.The only question I did ask wasif it was justhamstersthat eat or kill their babies or do all animals dothis?.This question was answered for me.I was only asking because I wasjust wondering because I have never owned a female animalandI didn't know that females did that.I don't why you wrotethis post if my question was already answered by Gypsy.The only animalI have is my 2 year old netherland dwarf Pepper who is a male.I didn'tthink my question was going to offend you,but in this post you wrote itsounds like it did offend you and I'm sorry if it did.

Pepper, I believe gypsy had you mixed up with the actual hampster owner, Midnight01. Whoops!:)

Rose
It was Jenniblu who wrote the post to read what Gypsy wrote.

Oh My Goodness, Pepper - I am sosorry. I didn't meanto upset or offendyou. I was just trying to tell you that ... well, anythingcan happen when it comes to breeding female small animals.

I was actually trying to not discourage youfrom owning ahamsterbecause I thought that my other post had made youdecide not to ever get a hampster. Again, I'm sorry aboutthat. I didn't want to make my bad experience sour anyoneelse's (esp. your's)potential for happiness in owning ahamster is all. :hug:

lol all is made up for, so i guess we can alljust talk now, the babise r 4 days old and the mother lets me pet themoccasionally. today at work it was horrible. i had to helpputto sleep a dog for being too vicious, a cat for being 16 yrs old. and abunny. they were gonna neuter the bunny. but then they realized itsprivate part was all hard as if it was frost bitten, and it was black.im not being inappropriate, they would have had to amputate its privatepart. if they didn't do this, then the rabbit would have died probablyin surgeory, wasting the family 200$. so we gave the rabbit thesleeping medicine while it was under anasteasia. horrible day =[.

Note: im only 15 =[. my feelings for every thing isstrong. im not the actual vet, but i help. if anyone ever needs help, ucan ask me.

e-mail: [email protected]

Jenniblu wrote:
Oh My Goodness, Pepper - I am so sorry. I didn'tmeanto upset or offend you. I was just trying totell you that ... well, anything can happen when it comes to breedingfemale small animals.

I was actually trying to not discourage youfrom owning ahamsterbecause I thought that my other post had made youdecide not to ever get a hampster. Again, I'm sorry aboutthat. I didn't want to make my bad experience sour anyoneelse's (esp. your's)potential for happiness in owning ahamster is all. :hug:
I'm sorry also.At first when I asked that question I was under theimpression it was just female hamsters that did that to their babies.I'm not upset or offened in anyway,I justmisunderstood about the breeding of females,because I never knew theydid that to their babies.

Midnight, I'm so sorry. You had a very rough day.

Your job is way more cool than my high school job- waitressing.

Baby hamsters are a lot of fun when they start crawling out of thenest. I had some once when I got a new female at a store thatdidn't separate the sexes. That was quite theshock! I set up a play area for them and would let them runaround while I fed treats to their mom- she was too young to be bredand they were taking a lot out of her. We found good homesfor 3 and kept the 4th as she was born disabled and had troublewalking. My little runty Bitsy was my favorite hamster ever,and my mom's too.:D

Latest posts

Back