Babies were born....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrampNPigeon

Reaction score
Well.. sure enough... Pigeon had the babies whilemy husband and I were at work. So far there were three.. but all weregone already when I got home tonight. I'm keeping a close eye on hernow since there could be more... none of the bodies were anywhere nearher nest though and looked like she may have stepped on them. If Icatch her before the next one is born, and if she is having it outsidethe box would it be okay for me to put her in the box? If she won'ttake care of it what can I do?? Help please! Hopefully it's not toolate to save maybe one or two. Last time she had 4....and she's adecent size bun (I would guess around 7-8lbs) so three may not be all.I'm hoping I can save one at least. I'm so sad...

Cheryl

Oh Dear Heart, I'm so sorry.

If it's her first pregnancy, she's probably freaking out.

You'll have to keep an eye on her in order to help the other babies ifthere's more to come. If they are born on the wire or elsewhere, pickthem up and put them in the nest. She'll probably take care of themwhen they're in the nest. Deal with that when it comes.

In the meantime, you could try putting her on the nest and comfortingher by talking to her and petting her. Try to calm her down a bit. Shemay jump off. So be it if she does.

Just keep close watch on her because if the babies aren't in the nestwhen born, she won't take care of them. Some does get confused on theirfirst pregnancies and don't know what's happening. It's been thoughtthat that's why some eat their babies.

Keep us posted.

I'm so sorry you're going through this!

-Carolyn

P.S. She knows your scent and will not ignore them because your scentis on them. Check tomorrow morning to see if they have full round, fat,warm bellies. Does usually feed their babies early in the morning (5:00a.m. or so).

Okay.. number 4 was just born.... she neverstepped on it but it just wasn't alive when born. Body is warm but Ithink that is just from her. I'm quickly loosing hope of any beingalive. This one was born out of the box as well but I had put somecardboard down so it wouldn't be on the cage bottom and immediatelywent over to check on it. I don't think any of them are alive when theyare being born. This is her second litter that I know of as she had oneabout a week and a half after I got her. Those were also dead when wefound them but I had attributed that to the fact that she had beenrunning around loose and then put in a new and stressful situation, aswell as the fact that she was skinny as anything then. None of thosefactors are still there now though... Don't know why they aren't alive.It's so confusing and sad.

Cheryl

God, I'm so sorry.

Now the important thing is that she's okay.

Tears for you and Pigeon.

What a sad night.

-Carolyn

Cheryl, I am so sorry that your bunniesdid not live this time. I know that you have been excitedabout them coming and have been preparing for them the best way thatyou knew how. Keep us posted if she has anymore.Just know that we are here and understand how youfeel. I also think that you have done the best thatyou could do to take care of your mother rabbit. Sometimesthese things just happen. Are thoughts are withyou. Beckie

Thank you for all the kind words.... I'll bekeeping a close eye on Pidge the rest of the night to make sure she isokay... after the last one she kinda stretched out and laid down for alittle while and let me pet her for a tiny bit... then she jump up andshot off really fast and now she is attacking her water bottle like shehasn't had a drink in months. She seems to be okay herself atleast....I think she prolly doesn't quite know what is happening rightnow. Of course I took all of the ones that didn't make it out rightaway so that if we still have one that is born alive maybe she'll takecare of it. Still clinging onto a little hope... though not much.She'll get extra lovins from me tonight for sure.

Cheryl

hi:(, its so sad losing your buns. I lost sixfrom my jersey wooly. They tell me it is natures way but it doesnt makeit easier does it? take care and again I am so sad for you and themommy rabbit

Well... we stopped at 4 it seems. Mom is layingout all comfy looking now. After the last one she drank a bunch thenpigged out on her pellets so I think she is feeling good at least.Counting my blessings that she doesn't seem to be affected by it. Willstill be a sad night though.

Cheryl

Final update for the night....

I think Pidge is trying to make up for the baby weight she lost byeating the same amount in pellets. Man is she one hungry bun! Thirstytoo....makin me wonder if she was so overrun by hormones leading up tothe birth that she had forgotten to eat! She'll chow down for about 5min.. then lay down and stretch out... and go right back 5 min later!Very odd.. going to be keeping a sharp eye on her now. Thank you againfor all the wonderful support!

Cheryl

How heart-breaking..I am so sorry-good to hearthough that Pigeon is back to eating and drinking like there is notomorrow-give her a hug from me and my two *in our thoughts*

Cher, Jezebel and Jade

Aww you poor thing! It's so heart breaking to lose baby bunnies like that.

I'm glad mummy's okay though and has her own loving mummy to look after her!

Take care hon!

Ang x

Latest posts

Back