Why is rabbit producing milk?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLover

Reaction score
I belong to another rabbit board whichunfortunately doesn't have many people on it. So, I was hoping thatsome of you could lend your advice to Fiona. She wrote:

I am wondering why Brownie is producing milk in her nipples. Is sheready to be a mom again, maybe? Brownie has not been bred recently orrecently had a litter, so I am not sure why she has milk in hernipples. Is there anyway to figure out what is wrong with her? Pleasehelp if you can. Fiona

If she's been bred before, it's possible she maystill be producing small amounts of milk or may be going through afalse prenancy.

However, this can also be a health concern as does with mammary oruterine tumors mayproduce milk. We lost a doe tomammary cancer, and she was producing milk in the early stages (whichis not uncommon and can be one of the early warning signs).

Pam

Thank you Pam! Fiona really appreciated your help.

What should she do with Brownie? How can she tell if it is (or isn't) serious?

Thanks,

Lissa

I would recommend a trip to thevet. Tumors may develop around the mammary glandsif it's cancer. I know that unfortunately, many vets are notexperienced at checking the rabbit's uteri for abnormalities.Our vet is amazing at being able to palpate a rabbit's internal organsand telling exactly what's unusual.

Pam

Latest posts

Back